Sign in to follow this  
leegra

CAN'T GET FMS TO ACCEPT US ALT AIRPORTS

Whenever I attempt to get a US alternate airport accepted on my MD-11 FMS INIT page (after the primary flight plan is accepted), FSX freezes and ultimately shuts down (the infamous blue circle!).  This only happens at US airports.  I can have a FP accepted at a European airport, add any alternate airport (including Kxxx locations) and it is accecpted.  But, when I am sitting on a US runway with a FP accepted and try to  add a US alternate, FSX shuts down.  I have tried  MANY work-around possibilities, but my MD-11 FMS (and FSX) will simply not accept a Kxxx alternate, if it is attempted while the plane is sitting on a US field.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening, and how I can correct the problem?  All help and suggestions greatly appreciated; and many thanks in advamce...

Lee Graves 

I responded to this over on FlightSim, but will repeat it here. I can't duplicate this problem with the MD-11 in FS9 or FSX. I do get the "blue circle" (which only means "I'm thinking, I'm thinking...") and a number of seconds of search time but no crash. I'm using the Navigraph 1703 AIRAC. What AIRAC are you using, and have you checked the Windows event manager for an error message after the crash occurs? If not please do so and post the message in full.

David Jones

Hi David...Thanks for your suggestions...I think I have found a way to get the FMS to accecpt a US alternate airport, when requested from another US airport.  If I enter an already-accectped PMDG FLIGHTPLAN in the Alternate Airport slot on the F-PLN INIT page, it will accept that route and automatically enter the 4-letter identifier to the right of the route.  The latter is what I have been trying to get accepted by the FMS, and which has led to the "blue circle" FSX shutdown. 

I fly with P-ATC.  When I request a alternate airport during a trip, they will assign a STAR and transition rouite to that location.  I need my FMS to have accepted that airport identifier as an alternate, in order to access the availlable STARs there.  I can then insert the assigned route into my FMS flight plan.

The only apparent requirement in the alternate route I enter on the F-PLN INIT page is that the destination be the airport I want to use as my alternate.  :Once the latter's 4-letter identifier separately appears on the F-PLN INIT page, I can later click on that to access the STARs and approaches available there...You must also fly the MD-11, so I'm sure you understand what I'm saying.  

Anyway, this method seems to take care of my problem, so, that's a relief...My AIRAC cycle, by the way, is 1606...The MD-11 is a great program. don't you think?  It deserved a much more popular acceptance than it got; in my opinion...

Lee

The Boeing 747-400 already comes with 1702, but won't install it if it detects an older set already installed, in your case, 1606. If you want 1702, you'll have to move the navigation data somewhere else and re-install the aircraft.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I get a CTD 100% of the time on 3 different machines, using any PMDG aircraft (using FSX or P3D), when I enter in a new destination on the FMC after say a missed approach.  Definitely a bug.

So if I am flying into KJFK and go missed approach and I want to enter a new destination airport on climb out, I get 100% crash.

I challenge someone to try what I am saying tp confirm this.

Paul Gugliotta

I'm not having any problems going to my alternate airport, but I'm using the Secondary Flight Plan.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

17 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

I get a CTD 100% of the time on 3 different machines, using any PMDG aircraft (using FSX or P3D), when I enter in a new destination on the FMC after say a missed approach.  Definitely a bug.

So if I am flying into KJFK and go missed approach and I want to enter a new destination airport on climb out, I get 100% crash.

I challenge someone to try what I am saying tp confirm this.

Long standing bug - will not be fixed unfortunately, the MD-11 is a legacy product that is no longer in development or for sale.

There are workarounds using secondary flight plan etc as noted above.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com