Sign in to follow this  

Assigning button to lower overhead view

Now that there is no panel switcher option in the new 747, I am finding accessing the overhead unwieldy.  My options are::

1) Use Spacebar and mouse look to view and zoom in (reasonable option but distorted angles)

2) Use Track IR (not having much joy setting the profile to work properly and my neck hurts trying to zoom into the far side of the panel and I can't get the sensitivity configured properly)

3) Right-click and choose Lower Overhead Panel (nice and steady view of the panel but have to right-click and choose Virtual Cockpit to return to normal view isn't very handy especially when you are taking off\landing)

4) EZDOK V2 (just crashes my FSX and doesn't work in full screen mode properly)

What I really want to do is be able to assign a key press or joystick button to be able to bring up the view in option 3 above (as well as any of the other views on the right-click sub menu.)

Can anyone tell me if this is possible and if so, how it can be done (Or is someone going to bring in a panel switcher add-on which I think a lot of people would want!)

Cheers

James Smith

James,

1. Not entirely. You're just not used to it. Once you get used to it, it's not bad at all. If you were to sit in a full flight deck sim (or the real plane), you'd be right at home. The only time you'd crane your neck over to get a head-on view of the overhead is for the first few minutes in the sim to re-orient yourself as a newbie. After that, you kinda just glance over and snap whatever switch you need, without changing your angle.
  2. See above.
  3. The best default option.
  4. I use ChasePlane. Much easier, and doesn't include a bunch of weird hacks to make the camera "shake."

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle

Thanks for your reply.  I do use a combination of 1 and 3 however this has issues especially when manoeuvring, having to take my right hand off the joystick  to use the mouse at a critical time isn't ideal so I have to keep pausing the sim.

So, re the actual question, is it possible to assign either a key press for my left hand or a joystick assignment for my right hand for the panel view which would render this process much easier?

Thanks

James

31 minutes ago, junkyspam7 said:

Hi Kyle

Thanks for your reply.  I do use a combination of 1 and 3 however this has issues especially when manoeuvring, having to take my right hand off the joystick  to use the mouse at a critical time isn't ideal so I have to keep pausing the sim.

So, re the actual question, is it possible to assign either a key press for my left hand or a joystick assignment for my right hand for the panel view which would render this process much easier?

Thanks

James

I apologize for the procedural/philosophical answer here, but it's worth asking:

What are you doing on the overhead that requires your attention during maneuvering flight? If you're needing something on the overhead during a critical phase of flight like that, I'd argue that your procedures / SRM is a bit off. In CRM, there's a balance of "who does what" and a lot of that can happen while the other person has their hands on the controls. Since you're alone though, you're in SRM, and it's all about doing things as early as possible and/or tactically using automation to your advantage.

Your trim could also be off, too. If you're properly in trim, taking your hand off the controls shouldn't be an issue (even in a turn - it's pretty neutrally stable).

I have a gaming mouse, so I've actually just assigned the 'spacebar' to one of my outer mouse buttons so that it's a single-hand action (outer mouse button, and move mouse to look around).

To answer your question more directly, though, I've already answered it: 3 is the best default option for a quick change (unless you want to tap A a couple times and then shift-A a couple times to get back); or a Camera Add-on that will set up custom views (and most can be configured to use hardware keys/buttons).

Kyle Rodgers

There is a way to do it, but I believe you will be doing some manual editing of the aircraft.cfg files for each variant. You can add "HotKeySelect= " and then a number 1-9 after it for the camera definition you want (in this case it's "Overhead Lower Panel"). But you MIGHT have to do it using FSUIPC and I get a bit fuzzy on the details from there. Just google "HotKeySelect FSX Aircraft CFG FSUIPC" and you should get something helpful.

Thanks guys.  Kyle, I too have a gaming mouse and like your idea so will give that a whirl.

Cheers

James

Try Chase Plane.  Works a lot better than EZ Dock

Gnacino