Sign in to follow this  
DaveH

Problems with Scenery

.bgls in FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery\scenery do not control displays in FSX-SE.  I have to make a folder in \Addon Scenery to hold the bgl to show properly ( otherwise the default scenery shows.)

I believe several scenery designers suggust \scenery\scenery as destination folder for their bgls.  This does not seem to work in my case.

Any comments\suggestions ?

Dave Hinson

I hope you are referring to the AddonScenery/Scenery folder.  As stupid as it sounds, this is where I

stick all of my BlueSky scenery .bgls. It works perfectly!  I hope you are adding those .bgls with FSX

not running.  The scenery will build upon startup of FSX.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hello Dave:

I t shouldn't matter where your scenery is. Mine is located in numerous places, some not in the FS folder.

The scenery to be added needs to be placed in a folder, and that folder given a name, eg: JFK New York (or what ever you want to call it). Inside that folder, there needs to be a folder called "scenery" (no quotation marks), bgl's are placed in that folder. If there are any texture files with the download, another folder called "texture" (again no quotation marks) needs to be made in the JFK New York folder, and those files placed there. If there are no texture files to be added, do not make a "texture" folder. Read the read me files with the download. Most have instructions on what files to place where.

Next, you need to add the scenery to your library. This is done while the sim is running. Select "settings" from the left hand menu when FS starts, From the page that comes up, on the right hand side, select "scenery library" from the "other settings" menu. Next select "add area" and then, with the "select scenery directory" menu that pops up, browse and click on the JFK New York folder (if that's what you called it)  until the folder name shows up at the top of the "select scenery directory" box. At that time the scenery and texture folders you have made in your new folder will be visible in this pop-up box. Next click "OK", and then click again anywhere on the box that shows the scenery and texture folders.

Your scenery is now added to the library, and should then be visible.

There are also several freeware scenery library management programs that will do this for you. I use one called SceneryConfigEditor. it is somewhat easier to use than this method.

In order to show up, the scenery must be located "above" the default scenery in the library menu, which strangely enough means it has to have a lower priority number. This number can be found in the same place you added the scenery in FS.

I hope this helps. If not give us a bit more specific information and I'm sure we'll get you underway.

- Roger Neves

I have installed many sceneries per your post.  They all work.

My question is - Who do sceneries placed in AddOnScenery\scenery\scenery directory DO NOT get loaded ?

I have upgraded several sceneries ( KAJR, showing extended runway for example ), using ADE and placed them into scenery\scenery folder, and only the default airport shows up in FSX.

If I, however, make a separate folder AddOnScenery\KAJR and install in FSX scenery library, the upgraded airport is displayed.

That is the question.  It looks like the AddOnScenery\scenery file is not being loaded.

Sorry for the long discussion, but I really can't understand this problem.  Must I take EVERY airport in the ..\scenery\scenery and put them in a folder in AddOnScenery  :bengong:

Dave Hinson 

Once again, AddOnScenery\scenery\scenery is one too many folders!  It should be AddonScenery/Scenery folder.  That's probably why the .bgls you stick in there do not show.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

There are many other files in AddOnScenery\senery\scenery that must have been put there when I installed other free scenery ( for example some MAIW afcads, some AB scenery bgls, some FreeFlow scanery ).  Should I just put them all in the AddOnScenery\scenery folders ?

And there are lots of texture bgls in the AddOnScenery\scenery\texture folder.  Where do they go ?

Dave

OK, that was the problem.  Thanks charliearon.  I don't know where I got the idea that there should have been that extra folder.

And I see texture files I mentioned go into AddOnScenery\texture, as they should.

Thanks to all for helping to straighten out my mind.  Getting old is no fun:biggrin:

Dave Hinson