Sign in to follow this  
Pineapple_Wizard

[Explanations] Sound Issue with Majestic Q400

With the pmdg. When switching views you can have sound issues or not! If then, push the Q button twice on your keyboard!

Alright, let's tackle this one. ChasePlane works the same way across all aircraft. We use documented or proven ways of achieving what we want to do in the sim. We try to stay out of coding specific fixes for specific aircraft because we try to stay as close as the SDK as possible.

Because Chaseplane works the same with all aircraft, we started searching in what way the Majestic Q400 is different from other aircraft.

Now, we have tested a few things, found 2 issues and arrived to the following observations and conclusions:

Muffled sounds

From the test we have made, sounds will be muffled when watching the aircraft from the outside using ChasePlane views..

1. We use the Aircraft category in the camera definitions to store our Outside and Gimbal cameras.
  2. Majestic are using the Aircraft category as well to store 4 camera views that are window views from the cabin.
  3. Majestic arranged their sounds system to muffle cameras that are in the "Aircraft" category regardless of where the camera is located, resulting in the issue we are observing.
  4. What we're doing about it: Beta 0.4.0 will see those views removed from the Aircraft category and placed in the Outside section. It doesn't change much for us right now, I really hope other developers won't mess with the Outside category...

Missing sounds

From the test we have made, in some situations, sounds will be muted when you come back in the cockpit from an outside view while using ChasePlane.

1. We have tested v0.3.69, v0.3.166 and v0.4.0 against the aircraft
  2. When ChasePlane is not running, changing between views is not a problem. The sounds remain audible as they should and everyone can go about their day.
  3. When ChasePlane is running, changing views from an outside (non-static) view to inside the cockpit will mute some of the sounds produced by the aircraft.
  4. The sounds that are muted are handled by a custom aircraft gauge while sounds handled by the simulator (not the aircraft) remain audible (like rain, wind, thunder and part of the engine sounds).
  5. To change view, ChasePlane sends a very simple command to the simulator (VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_1,5,6 and 8). This command is provided by the FSX/P3D SDK and has been around forever. In the FSX SDK, it is the only way to change the camera view from outside the sim.
  6. To the simulator, the only different between ChasePlane running or not is the fact that we ask the simulator to send us data when the aircraft moves in order to calculate motion effects and for our upcoming Instant Replay system.
  7. v0.4.0 uses a new technique that goes around the SDK to send camera positions. This removes the possibility of SimConnect being overwhelmed by requests.
  8. We are continuing to research the issue but I fear this ball is not falling into our camp this time. This is the only aircraft with this issue.

If anyone has some theories about why the missing sound occurs, I am open to test new things and come up with solutions.

Best Regards,
Keven

• Upvote 2

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hi, I'm really a newbie both to ChasePlane and to the q400pro. I recently bought both. There is another element that happens when switching views and flying with the q400: If I first enter the plane or switch from outside view, I get a normal cockpit sound. Ie some background noise, but not like you're standing outside. If I however click on the FMS or something in the cockpit, I will get what appears to be external sound, ie lot of engine noise and airstream noise. If I switch to outside view, it will be _almost_ quiet (very distant engine sound), and switching back to PIC position, I will get the normal low noise cockpit situation. If I then press one of the buttons again, I will get the external sound again. This was not like this before 0.4 beta. Before there used to be this error where you had to click inside the cockpit to get the proper sound after switching views. Not really a big issue.

On 11/27/2017 at 1:51 PM, Carlos Pancorbo said:

Majestic has released an update that seems to fix this problem. This can be downloaded in their page in the user area

Works perfectly. Thanks for the info.

rb_banner_driver.png

Latest Chaseplane patch and Majestic Dash version.

The sound via the Majestic views is normal. With CP it is still quit but perceptible. Like it was before. For me not the big problem. The bigger one are the square contrails(FSX)..you know Keven:ampun:

Max

Well I have latest patches for everything and Chaseplane has completely knackered my Dash 8 sounds - stutters, crackles and pops... inside and outside.

Even shutting down Chaseplane doesn't stop it happening. As it's completely modified the Cameras.cfg file, I will have to use Simstarter to replace the original pre-Chaseplane cameras file whenever I use the Dash, so I can at least fly the Dash 8 normally with default cameras - hopefully this will work !!!

When Chaseplane is installed, is a copy of the original cameras.cfg file made anywhere ? I cannot see one, so will have to rely on my own backup folders.

Is it just the cameras.cfg and the Dash 8 aircraft.cfg files that are changed by Chaseplane ?

EDIT: disabled Chaseplane, and replaced original Dash 8 aircraft.cfg file, and the cameras.cfg file, but the sound is still broken … why is this and how do I fix it ?

Thnx

Edited by Gabe777

I just tried Chaseplane and the Q400 for the first time and I would randomly get muffled sounds when switching to an outside view, or muffled sounds when switching to an inside view. I found that if at any time I get muffled sounds, I just click anywhere with my mouse and the sounds come back. 

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Forgot about this thread.

I realised that much of the popping was actually the wav files in the sound folder.

Not sure if they were meant to be that way, or corrupted, but replacing the entire set with a 3rd party soundset, cured everything, and it sounds better.

Same thing here with the sound files. This is an excellent soundset so I am not sure why I am getting all the sound crackles in the cockpit. I don't think its performance related because my FPS is still good. 

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

Have you tried listening to the files in a media player ?

The ones that ship with the q400 are crackly, or at least some of them.... such as "gear down wind" .... from memory.

Just eradicate that problem first.

I think it is coming from the wind sound. Most of the sounds outside of the sim are clear as day though. If it was a latency issue I would have bad FPS and stutters during gameplay, correct? I do have an older processor, but it has held up very well for it's age so I'd hate to say it is time to upgrade it if it still is running well with other tasks.

Edited by sho69607

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

Hello,

I need help about an issue that could be related to the sound issue. Each time I select an outiside view, when I re-enter the cockpit views Chase Plane dosen't work anymore: I can't modify the view niether with keyboard, neither with the preset page, I can't scroll from a view to another, it basically kills Chase Plane.

If I reaload the Majestic Q400 I will be able to use Chase Plane functionality untill I switch to outside view and it's broken again. I experience the same sound issue describe in the original post.

I use latest version of Chase Plane, latest of the Majestic and P3dV4.5.

Does somone have the same issue and has find a solution ?

I can't find in the forum this behaviour reported...

Thanks for any help.

Best.

Souheil

Hello guys, any solutions on the sound issue? last night I downloaded the latest immersion package and sound is on/off, when I click goes back, any help please? thanks.

• Upvote 1

Efrain RodriguezP3DWindows 10 64bitIntel i7 6700 4.0 Quad Core NVidia GTX1070<p>120SSD / 2TB