Sign in to follow this  
markcellis

Question about ATIS and X-Plane

I have always been allowing the SIM to report the ATIS information. I have X-Plane running with current weather and normally this matches Pilot2ATC. Today however, the winds are calm and X-Plane is reporting a different active runway at KLEB from what Pilot2ATC is reporting. So I thought, maybe I'll just turn on that option in Pilot2ATC to allow it to set the ATIS information. What I get is X-Plane reporting two different ATIS message verbally each one with a different active runway. They are also being spoken on top of each other.

Dave, I don't know how you are coding this but I have a suspicion that the FSUIPC spec allows you to set that ATIS string, which what I suspect you might be doing when I turn that option in Pilto2ATC. As best I can tell there is noway in the X-Plane SDK to change that ATIS text so I suspect that the person who wrote XPUIPC just does a call to the X-Plane SDK function XPLMSpeakString.

I can get around this by turning down the volume on the radios in X-Plane but then I can't hear the Morse code for nav radios.

I'm pretty good at X-Plane SDK development and I might be able to come up with a workaround for this but it would be helpful for me to know how coded the Pilot2ATC option to supply the ATIS information and to get your opinion if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Mark

Mark,

If you have Pilot2ATC provide the ATIS, it generates the report and speaks it directly.  It does not try and inject the report into X-Plane.  Unfortunately, XPUIPC does not have any connections to the X-Plane SDK that I know of. It basically operates on the Data Refs.

P2A tries to figure out the active runways based on AI Traffic in the SIM and then based on winds.  If the winds are calm and there isn't any AI Traffic departing or arriving, then that is the most likely time that the active runways won't match.

The thing to do is turn the ATC voice off in X-Plane by unchecking the verbal ATC and text ATC options in the Sounds section, and then you will still be able to hear other things like the morse code, engines, etc. 

Dave

Ok, it could be the reason I thought it was X-Plane doing it is I bet I have the same voice selected for ATIS in Pilot2ATC as the voice that X-Plane is using when speaking.

Mark

Yup, that was it, I had the same voice for both X-Plane and Pilot2ATC, that is why I got confused. The other thing I confirmed is that you can turn down the COM radio volume in X-Plane to avoid both X-Plane and Pilot2ATC both announcing ATIS info and when you do this you can still get the Morse code sounds for tuned Nav Aids when you have the Nav Radios monitored on the audio panel. Works like a champ.

Mark