Sign in to follow this  
Guest jawbreaker

Boeing Type-Naming.... Question

Guest jawbreaker

hi to alli'm wondering how the boeing types are named. i can easily seperate a B737-700 from a -300, also i have no problems naming any other passenger aircraft, BUT i don't quite understand how to know the difference between a B737-33V and a 737-377 (for examle).what do those letters mean? i've seen B737-700s on airliners.net, with "-7V3", "-7Q8", "-7C9" "-222" etc....and how are you able to know weather it's (for example) a "-7V3" or a "-752" ?thanks for explainations,Jaw

Guest P3_Super_Bee

Probably a little more info than your looking for but for anyone else out there.737 - base model700 - series of the modelthe two numbers after the 7 are the customer code. V3 = COPA Q8 = I.F.L.CC9 = Luxair22 = United Airlines.Now if say Untied sells the aircraft to Delta the designation will stay 22 and not switch to Deltas code of 32.IE If you look at Aloha Airlines B732 fleet because of the type cycles they put on the fleet, they change them out on a regular basis, none of thier B732's carry the 97 code for Aloha Airlines.Now for the say 732 code or B732 ICAO and IATA have a set of codes for each aircraft.IE IATA designates a B737-700 with Winglets a 73W, without winglets 73G (G is seventh letter of alphabet) non wingleted -800 is 738 and with winglets 73H. ICAO uses a four diget placement but a little simpler its a B738 weather it has winglets or not.A good website to check out is: http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/They have more codes than you can shake a stick at, LOL :):-outtahttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/i...s/sign_name.jpgThere is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

Guest jawbreaker

hey, thanks.that's what i wanted to know. but i never thought that the series names depend on the airline, since the aircraft REGISTRATION should be enough. anyway, i know now...thx,Jaw

Registration isn't enough.Not only can (in many countries, not in all) registrations change but also in many cases the airline doesn't influence the registration code at all.And what if you sell it abroad? The registration ALWAYS changes then. And it gets more confusing. Sometimes airlines bundle orders together to get volume discounts, and all are delivered to the same customer code.For example, KLM (customer code 06) and Transavia (K2) ordered 737-800s and -900s together, all the -900s going to KLM and the -800s being split between them.ALL aircraft carry type designation 737-8K2, even the -900s which are a type Transavia doesn't operate at all.Another example (this one from Airbus which works a bit different but you get the idea).SABENA ordered a batch of A320s, which would have carried Belgian registration. They went bankrupt before taking delivery and the aircraft were resold on the production line to Dutchbird. The aircraft were delivered with SABENA customer code (or its Airbus equivalent), down to the type plate in the cockpit proudly displaying the SABENA logo and name as that was the original ordering airline.

Guest jawbreaker

Ok. But:let's say I want to upload a nice little Picture of a 737-800 i made to airliners.net or any other aviation-picture-archive. how can i know the correct type when i don't have insider background information about "bundle equipment orders" of two airlines? i guess someone who shoots a pic of a KLM -900, would name it 737-906, without knowing that it should be -9K2, right?a bit confusing but logical.Jaw

If you're not sure, use -900.Most sites (but not the nitpickers at airliners.net who want to be more correct than the airlines themselves) will accept that just fine.Airliners.net now doesn't accept anything unless you include the aircraft construction number as well as the customer code (and including the wrong number or code is a mortal offense), they've gone completely berserk with their attitude of superiority.

Guest jawbreaker

:-) :-) :-))Ok.

Guest P3_Super_Bee

>If you're not sure, use -900.>Most sites (but not the nitpickers at airliners.net who want>to be more correct than the airlines themselves) will accept>that just fine.>Airliners.net now doesn't accept anything unless you include>the aircraft construction number as well as the customer code>(and including the wrong number or code is a mortal offense),>they've gone completely berserk with their attitude of>superiority.Don't know bout all that...They are jerks(they can be it's their site, they pay the bills), from what I hear when it comes to submitting photos, though most of the time the crap written in the caption is just that, crap. No two ways about it is flat out wrong.I too would go with just -900 if I wasn't sure. :-outtahttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/i...s/sign_name.jpgThere is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

crap is crap, but listing 737-900 instead of 737-9K2 is not an error... Most people couldn't care less about the customer code (including me really). Same with construction numbers.I'm not talking about listing an incorrect number but about not listing info you don't have and don't care about.