Sign in to follow this  

No RAAS or ILS Diamonds

I have been flying the 747 QOTSII the second it was released and 98% of the flights I have done had no problem whatsoever. But for some reason, the RAAS that came with the 747 just stopped working entirely, I think it may have to do with updating some file. Another issue I had and can't understand why is the fact that on some flights, I don't get any ILS guidance at all. I go into the NAV RAD and double check the frequency with the one shown on the map of the airport on P3D and I enter that frequency and course in. But when I get to the approach I cannot arm or turn on LOC or APP which makes lower visibility flying a bit difficult. One thing that may be an indicator of this is at the beginning of the flight after takeoff I get a warning in the EICAS "No Land 3" so I checked the QRH and this likely had to do with my issue as, well it has to do with landings and that's the general diagnosis I can give it. Thank you, and let me know if anyone else posted on the forum of similar problems because I could not really find any.

RAAS is an equipment option for that specific airplane or tail number.

No Land 3 early in the session generally points to your IRS#2 needing aligned and this is usually due to you pulling the plug on the ground power before putting the APU on line and you suffered a power loss. After such a power loss, you need to advice cabin staff that there will be a 20 min delay while you get IRS#2 aligned and you can start practicing your apology to the chief pilot.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

After such a power loss, you need to advice cabin staff that there will be a 20 min delay while you get IRS#2 aligned and you can start practicing your apology to the chief pilot.

Will the PMDG team be looking into this. The IRUs seem to be too sensitive to power losses. And why only IRS #2?

The IRUs are designed to run on Hot Battery Bus DC power.

Cheers

JHW

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

RAAS is an equipment option for that specific airplane or tail number.

No Land 3 early in the session generally points to your IRS#2 needing aligned and this is usually due to you pulling the plug on the ground power before putting the APU on line and you suffered a power loss. After such a power loss, you need to advice cabin staff that there will be a 20 min delay while you get IRS#2 aligned and you can start practicing your apology to the chief pilot.

I had a small thought that may have been a cause because after engine start I guess I did pull the plug a little early and the FO's side went blank for a second. Thanks for your answer!

9 minutes ago, Qavion2 said:

Will the PMDG team be looking into this. The IRUs seem to be too sensitive to power losses. And why only IRS #2?

The IRUs are designed to run on Hot Battery Bus DC power.

Cheers

JHW

Check how the IRS are independently powered, #2 is on the AC bus  and the DC bus only for a limited time. FCOM 11.20.4

Dan Downs KCRP

Check how the IRS are independently powered, #2 is on the AC bus  and the DC bus only for a limited time. FCOM 11.20.4

Are you suggesting that users didn't know the aircraft was without AC power for 5 minutes?

No, the power was probably out much less and I considered that there might be a problem. Just pointing out that it's not redundant power.  I can't cite the engineering data that the developer used when he set up the IRS#2, I pointed out the loss of power during beta and was told that it was correct according to their tech team, comprised of pilots and APs. Not sure they had a radio mechanic.  If you have the technical data to refute this behavior then please forward it to PMDG Product Support on a trouble ticket and it will get into their system.  Or, if you want to provide expert opinion do that with backup for your experience via a trouble ticket.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Just pointing out that it's not redundant power. 

Not sure what you mean by "not redundant power", Dan. Normally the AC busses provide power to the IRUs (no DC required for normal ops). If the AC fails, then, if main bus DC is available via the DC Bus Tie system, the IRU uses that. If that fails, the IRUs use APU Hot Battery Bus power. Then the timing circuit starts for the Center IRS.  I specified in another post what happens during APU start and early alignment, but this problem with autoland seems to be happening much too frequently. 

Or, if you want to provide expert opinion do that with backup for your experience via a trouble ticket.

I really don't want to bother the tech team until I have the sim loaded onto a new computer.... I know how tough it is to beta test PMDGs sims... and I promised Robert to go easy on you guys. In the meantime, I prefer to add my informal 2 cent's worth as a "radio mechanic" ;) By the way, all my informal/indirect comments to your beta team seem to have been heard (and amendments made, so I'm more than happy with that).

Always willing to learn something new about the 744.

Cheers

JHW

13 hours ago, Qavion2 said:

I really don't want to bother the tech team until I have the sim loaded onto a new computer..

Well you really should get pertinent information into the system as soon as possible.  Now.  Later after the last fix update will be too late to see any changes for a long time.

I spent a long time in ground communications and electronics in the USAF..., kindred spirits.

Dan Downs KCRP

Well you really should get pertinent information into the system as soon as possible. 

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the process. Is access to the update restricted after a certain date? I checked the PMDG Knowledge Base, but it doesn't seem to be for this kind of thing.

Thanks,

55 minutes ago, Qavion2 said:

Is access to the update restricted after a certain date?

That's not my intention to have said that.  They are preparing an update now, once that is issued there may not be effort spent on it for awhile because there are other things to accomplish.  You can get updates at anytime, but they are not release very often after initial release and a few months thereafter to work out the bugs.  You can submit bugs at anytime, but they go into a database for use by developers when they are actively working on the product.

Dan Downs KCRP

Okay I'm a little confused now, I don't know what I'm doing differently from before but now when I turn on all the engines and wait for the starter switches to automatically turn off, I wait about 30 seconds and turn off the APU and still, the FO's side goes dark. It gets a little annoying after I carefully setup everything just to have an IRS go out on me. When this happens, how do I get the IRS back in full, working order?

Sean... Do your APU GEN switches show AVAIL prior to you switching off the APU? Assuming you have no faults set, is your electrical panel configured properly? It sounds like you have your GEN CONT switches not pushed in, or you've pushed the DRIVE DISC switches by mistake?

Cheers

JHW

13 hours ago, seaniez said:

Okay I'm a little confused now, I don't know what I'm doing differently from before but now when I turn on all the engines and wait for the starter switches to automatically turn off, I wait about 30 seconds and turn off the APU and still, the FO's side goes dark. It gets a little annoying after I carefully setup everything just to have an IRS go out on me.

I'm willing to bet that you're (somewhat unrealistically) starting all the engines at the same time and dumping the fuel on too early. The engines are struggling to come to life in that case, since they've been underblown and fuel was introduced too early in the start. In that case, the GENs haven't come on because the engine is struggling to sustain itself, much less peripherals. If you have the packs on, it'll further complicate matters.

When you're starting, watch the ELEC page (you should be watching the ENG page, but for the sake of this discussion, watch the ELEC page) to see if the GENs have kicked in before you turn the APU off.

While you're at it, you should have a look at the tutorial to see the proper engine start procedure (at the end, I believe).

13 hours ago, seaniez said:

When this happens, how do I get the IRS back in full, working order?

Cycle them off. Wait a few seconds, and then cycle them back to NAV.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm willing to bet that you're (somewhat unrealistically) starting all the engines at the same time and dumping the fuel on too early. The engines are struggling to come to life in that case, since they've been underblown and fuel was introduced too early in the start. In that case, the GENs haven't come on because the engine is struggling to sustain itself, much less peripherals. If you have the packs on, it'll further complicate matters.

When you're starting, watch the ELEC page (you should be watching the ENG page, but for the sake of this discussion, watch the ELEC page) to see if the GENs have kicked in before you turn the APU off.

While you're at it, you should have a look at the tutorial to see the proper engine start procedure (at the end, I believe).

So the way I have been starting the engines was turning the Center and Right pack off then starting 3 and 4 and adding fuel right after (which explains the long startup) then starting 1 and 2 after the engine starters have turned off completely. I noticed an orange GEN light and after that was extinguished, I turned off the APU and had no problems. And thank you for letting me know how to fix the IRS confusion I had. I always take looks at the FCOM and QRH for more info, but in this case for some reason I didn't. 

Thank you everyone for the help!