Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

ORBX FTX Global and the Scenery component updates...

I have instaled p3dv3 mainly to be able to use the FSLabs A320 and the PMDG 777, but so fat am running it without any add-on scenery, not even ORBX FTX Global yet...

Since when p3d suffers updates the updates can be installed separately, I wonder if installing the scenery updates implies re-installing ORBX FTX Global everytime I do so, or even first uninstalling it, and then re-installing, which would be a true PITA, or if the scenery update installers can be run independently of whatever add-on scenery one has installed ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Guest Mik75

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly, and I stopped updating P3D with a very stable 3.3x version, but until then, I only had to update "Client" and "Content". I've never un- and reinstalled any scenery product because of a new P3D version. When there is the need to update ORBX products after the update to a newer P3D version (like it regularly happens with the objectsflow.dll), you get a message upon booting up the sim, followed by a quick automatic download/install and a reboot of the sim. Or it takes place via the new FTX Central, which works absolutely flawlessly as well. That never caused any issues for, and is at least true for my P3D version. I have no idea, how things look with 3.4x versions of the sim. 

I'd install FTX Global, I have no VAS issues with it and the FSL A320X (even running Vector, Open LC, Trees HD and 3rd party airport sceneries on top, all wotu reasonable settings), and the sim performs just as good as default, but looks so much better with it! 

Thx a lot for the feedback Mik75.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Hello

Yes,  If you Update or Repair the Install_Scenery.msi you will need to Reinstall FTX Orbx Global Base.

Orbx Global Base is the only Orbx Scenery that needs to be reinstalled after the above procedure.

Edit,  Thank you Scott.  Also HD Trees needs to be Reinstalled 

=====

Regarding Global Base,  In FTX Central 3 you are given 3 Options in Installation Options 

(1) Install from my manually downloaded Zip 

(2) I already have a Backup 

(3) Download and Install now, then create a backup later 

You can pick the first one if you have an old Global Base 1.40 Installer from the Flight Sim Shop,  Just navigate to this Location and Install from there

If not,  Just Click Install and this will download and Install Automatically  

• Upvote 1

Ah, ok Elaine - thank you for the precious additional info!

I was also going through your excellent tutorial.

All of the Best from LPPT :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I'm pretty sure ORBX Global is one of the ORBX package that has to be reinstalled if your redo P3D scenery - that and the HD Trees...

Everything else (ORBX) can be saved prior to P3D update by backing up your ORBX directory, "scenery\World\scenery" directory, Sound and Effects directories... If you have room on the drive where the stuff is installed - and you simply "move" vs "copy" the previous files/directories - the OS uses a simple pointer change - so you don't even have to wait for a copy operation to complete - makes it really quick and painless... Once you install the new P3D - simply "copy" the files back to the original  locations...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thx Scott.

Main Simulation Rig: