Sign in to follow this  
Captain Kevin

Boeing 747-400 Higher Thrust Engines

But then I had a look at the aircraft.cfg of the -400, -400ER, and -400ERF and the static thrust appears to be listed as 58,000 pounds for all three. So either the thrust rating is set the same for all three variants, or the difference is in the .air file. Rather confused at the moment.

We do a heck of a lot in our own code outside of the normal FS/P3D SDK methods - the engines are almost completely custom and the cfg and air file only represent a baseline that we go and modify internally. We're not pulling a fast one, the ERs do have more powerful engines on them, it's just not done in the simplified MS way.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

10 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

I was wondering if it was possible to have it set as the higher thrust PW4062.

Sure, if you fly the PW ERF.

Otherwise, no. Don't go modding the aircraft.cfg, either. Bad idea.

10 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Rather confused at the moment.

Don't overthink it. Fly and enjoy.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Man, I have noticed when flying from KORD to FAOR  in the -400ER, that those 4062's generate even more power than the already badass power you have in the other types lol.   Even with a 892 000lbs take off it was giving good performance of 28C at KORD on a relatively cold day.

I am picking up on the subtle performance diferences in the models and engine type - really like the ER!  I can eek out just enough extra range with a good payload to get to places where I would have had to resort to the 777 previously.

Regards

Agree... The QFA VH-OEI -400ER is one of my favorites to fly.  The 744 aircraft package for PFPX at their download forum includes the correct engines and does okay with fuel planning.  No takeoff performance calculator out there, petty much have to rely on the FMS and experience.

Dan Downs KCRP

Gah! Kevin, sorry - not used to this new forum yet, I accidentally overwrote your initial post with my reply and I don't see a way to revert it back now. I meant to quote and reply.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

5 hours ago, Tabs said:

Gah! Kevin, sorry - not used to this new forum yet, I accidentally overwrote your initial post with my reply and I don't see a way to revert it back now. I meant to quote and reply.

So basically, no other way to get the higher thrust engines on the standard -400s then (I don't even remember most of what I wrote, either, so can't fix it for you).

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

On 3/8/2017 at 11:16 PM, downscc said:

Agree... The QFA VH-OEI -400ER is one of my favorites to fly.  The 744 aircraft package for PFPX at their download forum includes the correct engines and does okay with fuel planning.  No takeoff performance calculator out there, petty much have to rely on the FMS and experience.

What I do is modify a standard 747 profile with the PW's on TOPCAT with the higher MTOW, MZFW and max fuel as well and that gives me a good indication of takeoff performance.   Or I will put it this way - I have never run out of runway before the wheels were off the ground so I think it is close..

Regards

13 hours ago, Werner747 said:

Or I will put it this way - I have never run out of runway before the wheels were off the ground so I think it is close..

That isn't the reason we do the calculations..., the problem is RTO at V1 and not running out of runway.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 3/10/2017 at 8:49 PM, downscc said:

That isn't the reason we do the calculations..., the problem is RTO at V1 and not running out of runway.

I understand that - what I am saying is that as far as I can tell it is as close to the actual figures by following this method that I get with the standard -400

Regards