Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Fake Tsunami Images starting to appear (Sigh)

Guest Paul Heaney

so be it then.

It happened alright. There are reports from crews of ships transporting grain into the ports that tell how their cargo was pumped (they were bulk carriers) directly into Soviet cargo vessels while disassembled Mi-24s and tanks were being put together on the piers.As did the distribution of milk powder and other instant foodstuff to drought riddled areas. I know there was indeed a drought in Eritrea during the period, but the main cause of the problem was that the people were not taking care of themselves. They had received money and equipment to build wells and pumps for decades yet few were constructed. Seed intended for them to sow their fields instead was sold or turned into a quick meal, and the year after they'd come complain they had no food.Not all of them, but enough to make a decisive difference.And please, I'm not saying we should not help people in need. What I AM saying is that we should make darn certain that money is well spent and not dumped into a bottomless pit which foreign aid has turned out to typically be.If the money is spent wisely and the waste is reduced or eliminated the same amount can do a lot more.Instead of giving a government 10 million dollars to build schools, send a team of people with tools and equipment that go to the area the schools should go and build them yourself (with the help of the people in the villages).Instead of sending food for 20 years, send experts in arid agriculture to help the farmers grow crops in adverse conditions and send crop seeds and farming tools (suitable for the environment) with them.Don't send a country 50 million to train and equip doctors and nurses, give visas and study grants to people from those countries to come study in our own and then send them home with everything they need to set up shop.

jwenting:"It happened alright. There are reports from crews of ships transporting grain into the ports that tell how their cargo was pumped (they were bulk carriers) directly into Soviet cargo vessels "Totally untrue. Not only not *true*, but not even *possible*. Bulk carriers do NOT "pump" grain cargoes. The only ships other than tankers that can pump cargo are cement carriers. (And yes, I do know what I'm talking about. I was a MN officer - on tankers, freezers, and bulkers - all the way up to Master.) Also, there was so much activity in the port at the time that there is just no way at all that even a crane-equiped cargo ship could have done a ship-ship transfer without EVERYONE being aware of it.Sorry, but you;ve been getting your information from some vested interest website instead of a bona-fide news source. This just never happened. "They had received money and equipment to build wells and pumps for decades yet few were constructed."Many parts of the area simply have no underground water. Thousands of wells were dug, especially in Eritrea and the south-east, which were little more than water pits - when the rains failed the wells dried up."Seed intended for them to sow their fields instead was sold or turned into a quick meal,"When you're starving, and the only grain you have is next years seed, you'll eat it - because if you're dead next year you won't need seed anyway."we should make darn certain that money is well spent and not dumped into a bottomless pit which foreign aid has turned out to typically be"Not true. Emergency foreign aid is mostly very effective. At Band-Aid close to 90% of all the emergency aid we got out of Aseb got to where it was needed - not always to the people who'd been meant to get it, sometimes it even went to people (such as tribes that were attacking aid camps) who were actually banned from receiving aid - but to people who needed food nonetheless. If the West had provided trucks, and the troops to guard them, the results would have been far better still - the biggest losses were at the port, where the stuff bottlenecked. The aid progrmas that are the least effective, unfortunately, are the long term infrastructure ones that would prevent the need for future emergency aid.These tend to be the government run and funded programs - the private agencies do a LOT better on the ground than do government agencies.Richard

........................What the hell has all this to do with aircraft and our hobby?I thought this was a medium to discuss Flight Sim? Perhaps the Moderators having forty winks?All the best,Dave.'Three greens and soft landings'

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Staggerwing

>........................What the hell has all this to do with>aircraft and our hobby?>>I thought this was a medium to discuss Flight Sim? >>Perhaps the Moderators having forty winks?>All the best,>>Dave.Not really flight sims either :-)Nothing to do with my own thoughts on the subject in this thread, but here is what is stated as the mission of this forum. (taken from the header and pinned subject at the top)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~HANGER CHATProtected forum This forum is for the discussion of real world aviation topics and any other topics not covered in other forums. Please make sure that your topic isn't covered in another forum before posting here. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#28, "Off-topic posting - Everyone please read"Mon Nov-04-02 11:05 PM There is a description on the main forum page telling users the function of this forum. Here is the description:This forum is for the discussion of topics not covered in other forums in the AVSIM Conferences. Please make sure that your topic isn't covered in another forum before posting here.We have around 55+ forums open to the public covering all sorts of topics. There have been quite a few messages posted in here that I've been letting slide, but there seems to be an increase in MS Flightsim questions asked in here. Considering we have 6 forums setup for topics about MSFS, there really shouldn't be any MSFS questions in here at all. So starting from here on out, those posts will be moved from here to the MSFS General Forum. I will just move it and not post an explanation for each one I move or contact the person that posted it as that would be too time consuming. Just know if you post a message here that belongs in another forum, it will be gone and you can find it in the appropriate forum. Thanks

>........................What the hell has all this to do with>aircraft and our hobby?>There's quite a few aircraft zipping along in the area... Apart from that, not a whole lot.>I thought this was a medium to discuss Flight Sim? >Everywhere except right here you'd be right. Here, no.>Perhaps the Moderators having forty winks?>All the best,>Not that I know, though Tinky Winky was I believe spotted in the company of one of them some time ago ;)>>'Three greens and soft landings'Never been able to set down on a green, that darn hole for the ball gets in the way.

Seems to me this country and the rest of the world is pouring a large amount of aviation resources in dealing with this disaster. A hundred years ago, without the tools we have today, we'd be talking about twice the number of victims.Folks, there's topics that touch every aspect of our lives. If they are verboten for discussion here, fine--I'll discuss them somewhere else. In this one thread I've been called sick, it's been suggested I'm a fool for giving lip service to a hoax, and now we there's complaint about the thread being "off topic".Certainly feel free to delete it. Quite sorry the thread caused so much trouble. But maybe we could see posts like the response Mr. "Moderator" just posted in response to other threads, off topic, that may be of service to this community.-John

Guest ba747heavy

I think its adventageous to lock this thread now before it gets uglier. I think everyone has said there piece.