Sign in to follow this  
ionfresko

Plugin won't load/no sound in XP11Pb13

15 hours ago, ionfresko said:

As to the question about the particulars of the XP11 Beta, isn't pretty useless to report to Laminar that third-party addons don't work in this kind of beta stage? I mean, what should they do about it?

That's for them to decide. Not me, and not you.

Unless they've told you specifically that they don't want to hear about it, then I'd report it. If it worked before and then stopped, something they changed caused an incompatibility. Since most modern sims have some sort of acknowledged third party development scene, it's in their best interest to know about it.

Think of it this way:

• Someone is re-writing the way plug-ins are loaded in order to make the sim more reliable.
  • In the process, they screw up some code that effects a large number of add-on aircraft.
  • Nobody reports it because they have the same viewpoint you've expressed here.
  • They have to release a patch on release day because nobody reported it.

As someone in possession of beta software, you should really be reporting anything and everything that seems out of sorts. Do not assume they don't want it, and do not assume everyone else is reporting it.

They cannot fix what they don't know about. At worst they'll tell you "we'll address this at a later time, since we're concentrating on X, Y, and Z right now," but you've done your part, and provided they have an issue tracking system, it's on their radar and will remain there until they have time to address it.

If I didn't make it very clear earlier, I'll attempt to do so now:

People cannot evaluate or fix what they do not know about. As a beta tester, it is literally your task to make the developer aware of issues. Incompatibilities are issues. The only time I, on a personal level, would not want to hear about them is if I specifically said "we're working on function X, this may cause incompatibilities or odd behaviors," or, "this has been reported and we'll address it later." At least I know about it, and I'll get to it when I get to it. I don't imagine they'd think too differently.

As I said earlier:
They may take no action and push back and say "you know, we re-wrote the entire plug-in system to make it better - people will just have to adjust." Third party devs will then have to adjust to that if they choose to do so. Still, they should be made aware of the issue in the first place.

14 hours ago, downscc said:

I don't think the licensing service will allow that.  I would be verrry surprised if you could.  The EULA does allow you to run two copies of the product on two separate computers that you own as long as you are the user.

How might one explain being able to install in FSX and FSX:SE simultaneously on the same computer, then?

14 hours ago, ionfresko said:

Too bad if thats's the case. To run two different copies on the same rig is standard procedure for X-Plane, it seems: one "normal" install, and one for tinkering/betas (like I'm doing now, would be impossible otherwise). But if allowed on two different rigs, why not two installs on one rig? Makes no sense to me.

You're fine.

Kyle Rodgers

14 hours ago, ionfresko said:

Too bad if thats's the case. To run two different copies on the same rig is standard procedure for X-Plane, it seems: one "normal" install, and one for tinkering/betas (like I'm doing now, would be impossible otherwise). But if allowed on two different rigs, why not two installs on one rig? Makes no sense to me.

Actually, it is not "standard" procedure.  The only reason why you could right now, is due to the fact that LR released XP11 as an open public Beta, allowing users to test the sim as well as other products (if they so chose to), and as a backup, XP10.51 is still an active sim, with support capability.  To go even further, the licensing and EULA that accompanies any add-on product will state how many copies can be installed simultaneously, legally and may have the ability to block attempts to activate until the user contacts customer support.  Even now, users have reported sporadic re-verification and activation of their XP licenses, though exact reasons why from LR are not clarified.  Again, it is all up to the terms of the agreement of the add-on's EULA.

Jim Morvay

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

OK, I see. After a vanilla install things are all fine, though. Something in one or more custom sceneries makes the plugins for 4-5 planes not to load. I will investigate further, but I cannot see other than some version of the Ground Traffic plugin interferes.

As to dual installs, I've heard lots of people having it, due to all the tinkering X-Plane requires to get the best out of it.

Scandinavian13: Did your last reply mean that it is indeed OK two have two different installs on the same rig? And what should I do if I cannot activate neither of them (as the case is now)? Should I file a ticket?

Edited by ionfresko

4 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

How might one explain being able to install in FSX and FSX:SE simultaneously on the same computer, then?

Missed that.

Dan Downs KCRP

4 hours ago, ionfresko said:

Scandinavian13: Did your last reply mean that it is indeed OK two have two different installs on the same rig? And what should I do if I cannot activate neither of them (as the case is now)? Should I file a ticket?

You can, but we can't support any non-standard installations (beta versions, etc.).

Unless it's XP10, we can't support the install. If it's XP10 and it's not working, we'll be able to help out.

Kyle Rodgers