Sign in to follow this  
Luis_KMIA

HD monitor and cable suggestions

Hello,

I recently bought a high-end system that includes and NVIDIA Titan X card to run P3D and XP11.  I have an older monitor and want to buy a 4K monitor.

A couple of questions:

- I currently, get great FPS (30-50) with high quality products like PMDG and ORBX.  Does the resolution increase that comes with an HD monitor bring down FPS significantly?

- What cable should I buy to connect the monitor to the video card?  I'm familiar with HDMI, but is P2P the next big thing?

Thanks for the help!

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I have recently moved to a 21:9, 1340x1440, Gsync, monitor driven by a  1070 graphics card. I have had no discernable frame rate change in FSX. Surprisingly to me, the 21:9 aspect ratio is a real winner in FSX, something I didn't really expect.

• Upvote 1

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

I read somewhere here on AVSIM where someone said that using an HDMI cable actually reduced either the quality or throughput.  I believe the advice given was to use Display Port - but I won't swear to it.  I use an HDMI cable and haven't had any troubles, though at some point I'll pick up the research on this again and try the alternative.

Anyway, I think it warrants some searches on the subject, and results would likely apply to any game.

EDIT:   Ah, forget what I posted.  Some quick research showed that HDMI 2.0 quality and throughput seems superior to Display Port.  HDMI 1.0 is a different story though.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

On 3/9/2017 at 5:11 AM, yellowjack said:

I have recently moved to a 21:9, 1340x1440, Gsync, monitor driven by a  1070 graphics card. I have had no discernable frame rate change in FSX. Surprisingly to me, the 21:9 aspect ratio is a real winner in FSX, something I didn't really expect.

John,

can I ask what brand and model monitor you're using and what are you connecting to it ie DVI, HDMI?

I'm currently in the market looking specifically at the ultra wide curved monitors. Using FSX presently, but will change over to P3D once it goes 64bit.

Steve

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

My Monitor is an ACER "Predator" which is 21.9 aspect ratio  with a resolution of 3440 x 1440. The screen is slightly curved (looks dead flat whilst using the monitor). I have it connected to my PC via DP but it will also connect with HDMI. The screen is 34 inches from corner to corner and I am loving the freedom and view I get when I run FSX with a TRACKIR hooked up .

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

48 minutes ago, yellowjack said:

My Monitor is an ACER "Predator" which is 21.9 aspect ratio  with a resolution of 3440 x 1440. The screen is slightly curved (looks dead flat whilst using the monitor). I have it connected to my PC via DP but it will also connect with HDMI. The screen is 34 inches from corner to corner and I am loving the freedom and view I get when I run FSX with a TRACKIR hooked up .

Thanks John,

It's funny you mention the Acer Predator 34 inch. That's the one I've been looking at. See here -> https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-x34-series

Is the Predator version you have the one that has IPS and G-Sync?

Also, are you saying that you're able to run FSX via HDMI or DP?

I'm having to run it via the ###### old DVI connector, as I was led to believe we can't run FSX via HDMI/DP.

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

21 hours ago, XCLTM3 said:

I'm having to run it via the ###### old DVI connector, as I was led to believe we can't run FSX via HDMI/DP.

What a load of "old cods wallop" (English) or "BS" (Aussie). I haven't run FSX on a DVI connection for as long as I can remember. I have used both HDMI and DP for a few years now.

Yes to IPS and G-Sync on my Monitor. I had always thought of FSX cockpits as being more vertical value but after using the 21:9 monitor and Trackir .  I am most happy with the outcome and would, that at least for me the current gear is giving me the best flight simulation experience on a desktop I have ever had.

Good luck in your Flight Simulation endeavours.

John

@yellowjack

Thanks for the info John, much appreciated.

Cods Wallop or BS or even Bollocks will do.

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

Now go and enjoy  your flight simming experience.

John