Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

AI Helicopters acting like real helicopters in FSX-SE?

I hate to sound stupid (my wife might say that I seem to like it as I do it every day) but I just saw something I didn't know existed in FSX. I was at FSDG's wonderful scenery of NUUK Greenland, about to take off in the Aerosoft Twotter when off to the side I saw a helicopter make an absolutely realistic take-off and transition to level flight. I had no idea that this was possible in FSX. One of the things I miss from FS9 is HeliTraffic 2009 and thought that the AI helo part of the sim experience was now gone. The Nuuk scenery comes with an AI package and this was obviously part of it.

So my stupid statement is now followed by what is probably a stupid question. How can I replicate that at other places? Is there some technique or tool that I need to use?

BTW, if you don't have it, I will tell you that the Nuuk scenery is outstanding. Sadly, I believe it's only available via Steam for FSX-SE though I may be wrong. (My wife would tell you that "may be" should be "almost always.")

Cheers

Ian

Looks like you can buy it at their non-steam web store (just search for fsdg nuuk) and at some other stores. 

Just so you know, Heli-Traffic 2009 does work in FSX as well as FS9. There is slightly more functionality in the FS9 version, but it does work in either sim. To see the differences in functionality, check out my old Avsim review of it:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0111/Flight1/Heli.html

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Just so you know, Heli-Traffic 2009 does work in FSX as well as FS9. There is slightly more functionality in the FS9 version, but it does work in either sim. To see the differences in functionality, check out my old Avsim review of it:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0111/Flight1/Heli.html

Yeah, I did know that. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in FSX-SE. I tried and according to various forums, so have others and it just results in a CTD. Several of us have contacted Flight1 to see if that can be rectified, but apparently the developer isn't really active with them anymore.

2 hours ago, ThomasAH said:

Looks like you can buy it at their non-steam web store (just search for fsdg nuuk) and at some other stores. 

That's good news for those who don't use SE. It truly is a pretty unique product with some fascinating scenery and an elevated runway carved into the side of a mountain. Then throw in the normal Greenland weather and it can be a lot of fun. (Fun flying virtually I mean - it would scare the c--p out of me trying to fly in there in the RW in IFR conditions - or even VFR if there was much wind)

I'm still hoping for an answer to this question. What do you need to do to create realistic helicopter AI in FSX-SE? Having seen it can be done in the FSDG Nuuk scenery, I'd love to find out how to do it