Sign in to follow this  
Pilot53

Question about the 747

I have a couple of questions about the 747 simulation regarding a few things that have been absent from most addon aircraft in general.

1. I notice with the 737 (777 doesnt count as fbw would prevent this) there is no noticeable pitch up from thrust increase or flap deployment, does the 747 simulate this?

2.  I only know of one addon that simulates this, just released last year, but do the engines on the 747 get quieter as the air gets thinner at high altitude?  You should not even be able to hear them at all above around FL200.  Hearing the 737 and 777 engines roaring away at cruise kills the immersion and I usually turn down engine sound manually at cruise.

3. Very few addons simulate accurate engine spool time, I think they need to go outside fsx/p3d code for this.  To use the cfm-56 as an example, if you bring the thrust levers up to command 45% n1, the engines should respond slowly at first but then jump to 45% rather quickly and stabilize.  All jet engines exhibit this behavior but I have only seen one addon for p3d simulate this properly. 

Thanks!

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Not sure if this video helps, but starting from 12:24 is the take-off roll, and you'll see me climb up to 37,000 feet. Of course, I was manually controlling the thrust on take-off, so didn't quite use TO/GA for this.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

13 hours ago, Pilot53 said:

1. I notice with the 737 (777 doesnt count as fbw would prevent this) there is no noticeable pitch up from thrust increase or flap deployment, does the 747 simulate this?

It will react properly to configuration changes.

2.  I only know of one addon that simulates this, just released last year, but do the engines on the 747 get quieter as the air gets thinner at high altitude?  You should not even be able to hear them at all above around FL200.  Hearing the 737 and 777 engines roaring away at cruise kills the immersion and I usually turn down engine sound manually at cruise.

Yes. We entirely re-wrote our sound system in order to simulate this (it is a simulator limitation that we had to program around). The guys working on it did quite an amazing job with it. It even dynamically mixes a whole bunch of sounds to get a more realistic growl out of the engines in certain throttle ranges (and varies by engine type).

3. Very few addons simulate accurate engine spool time, I think they need to go outside fsx/p3d code for this.  To use the cfm-56 as an example, if you bring the thrust levers up to command 45% n1, the engines should respond slowly at first but then jump to 45% rather quickly and stabilize.  All jet engines exhibit this behavior but I have only seen one addon for p3d simulate this properly. 

I believe we have this simulated as well as we can without compromising other aspects of the simulation.

Kyle Rodgers

Gents,

Everything about our engine and flight models is customized.  This has been the case since 2005...  but really came into it's own in 2008.

The 747 is just another evolutionary step forward in this process.  We are essentially using FSX and P3D as a simulation environment, while relying on as little of the structural pieces of the simulation as possible.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

On 3/9/2017 at 8:02 AM, scandinavian13 said:

It will react properly to configuration changes.

Yes. We entirely re-wrote our sound system in order to simulate this (it is a simulator limitation that we had to program around). The guys working on it did quite an amazing job with it. It even dynamically mixes a whole bunch of sounds to get a more realistic growl out of the engines in certain throttle ranges (and varies by engine type).

I believe we have this simulated as well as we can without compromising other aspects of the simulation.

Thanks for the info, hope these features make it to the 737 and 777 one day.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero