Sign in to follow this  
clive6354

Processor Choice

Please can you inform me which would be the best and fastest processor for use with Flight Simulator (PMDG aircraft) P3D

I7-7700 (4.2Ghz) 8Mb Cache (quad Core) ?
I7-6850 (3,6Ghz) 15Mb Cache (Six Core) ?

Clive Alexander

This is best asked in the P3D forum both in AVSIM and LM, it has very little to do with PMDG.

I've seen posts in those forums discussing disadvantages to more than four cores...., I'd stay at four but I haven't done the research which I am asking you to do.

Dan Downs KCRP

7700K - FSX/P3D benefit more from single-threaded performance/core speed than they do more cores. I'm very happy with my new 7700K.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan, what processor did you upgrade from?  

Cheers,

Rudy

I have to agree with Sparkie, 7700K and overclock for all she's worth, hearing that 5 GHZ on a good air cooler is possible in many cases.

When my tax return arrives, am considering building a new system built on Intel's Kaby Lake 7700K, NVIDIA 1080 Ti, 16 GB RAM, and SSD for a drive.  It will be a big step up from my current system which is nearly 9 years old (although I do keep swapping out the video card).

That 6 core processor, I'm afraid, would have most cores sitting idle.  That situation may change in 5 years though, and I actually hope it does.  Good sites to visit and read for CPU info are tomshardware and anandtech.

Mark Trainer

Edited by mtrainer
Made it clear that "5" referred to "years"