Sign in to follow this  
Lorby_SI

Freeware LorbyLiveTraffic is available

Hello @ll,

follwing a hint from an AVSIM member (thank you Jay!) I have integrated a new data provider into my FREE LorbyLiveTraffic app (LLTX). This app was actually finished last year, but I shelved development due to the incredibly high cost for obtaining data from the known commercial online sources, and the prohibitive attitude of some of the free ones..

The LLTX was not made to be an AI traffic addon - you can use it like that, but it has it's limitations - it is geared towards the plane spotters among you (and the forgiving type at that). The data that is available for free just doesn't cover all locations on earth, nor is it of sufficient quality to be accurate. Aircraft will miss the runways when landing, they will crash into the mountains at Innsbruck, and do other crazy things. Apart from the lacking data quality, the aircraft are flying under simulator AI control, so be prepared for surprises. But other than that, you can of course fly with the app active, and you will encounter the same traffic when you are en route that is there in the real world too.

33363448025_48f36ee13f_z.jpg

The LLTX is not a finished product, it is only an experiment. As such there is no guarantee that any bugs will be fixed or that it will be developed any further than what it is now.

• In "Live AI" mode It will only provide airborne (airliner) traffic. Although you can force the aircraft to land, they will NOT taxi in or out, or populate the parking positions.
  • In "Simulator AI" mode, the app will create actual simulator AI aircraft that have the same departure and destination airports as the real flights (when available). The interact with ATC, will taxi in and out etc. But they will fly like AI does too, disregarding all real world routes and the procedures are limited to ATC capabilities.
  • Coverage and accuracy are limited to what the two free sources can provide unless you have a (paid) subscription for RealTraffic by Inside Systems Pty.
  • The aircraft are invisible to the simulator's ATC
  • The app requires that you have the full complement of either MT6, UT2, FLAi or WOAI aircraft models available to your sim
  • You can add custom models of your own to the database
  • You can change every aircraft model literally "on the fly".
  • You can look up the plane that you are watching on FlightRadar24 through an automated link
  • You can set the real world weather of your location in the sim (this is even more experimental - but it worked pretty well in testing)
  • The app has been compiled in five different versions and installers have been provided for FSX SP2/Accel, FSX SE, P3D 2.5, P3D v3.x and P3D V4.x

The app is available as a free download on the Lorby-SI website, section "DOWNLOADS".

http://lorby-si.weebly.com

Have fun with it - and please don't take it too seriously!

IMPORTANT: the LLTX does not require any setup other that what is mentioned in the manual. Most importantly, you don't have to search for or scan your AI aircraft models! The LLTX database has already been matched to the products MT-6, UT2, FLAi and WOAI to the best of my abilities. When you first start the app, (if you don't have MT-6) press "Configure" and then select your AI product with the radio buttons on the top left - close the dialog and press "Connect" - be patient. It takes up to 30 seconds until the first aicraft will show up.

here is a demo video of what LLTX is about:

Best regards

Oliver Binder

Lorby-SI

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

To be honest, live traffic based on ADS-B is always going to have those problems, since the transmitters are almost always only on when the aircraft is airborne.

Good job, though in bringing this piece of software to the community.:smile:

Hello Mark,

LLTX will not interfere with other AI traffic, but both aircaft won't be aware of each other either. Please keep performance in mind, the simulator will be in trouble if there are too many objects present. The LLTX movement protocol is rather lightweight, so you shouldn't get SimConnect flooding that easily (= LLTX does not control every single step, they still fly "naturally" as AI controlled aircraft - for good or worse).

Best regards

LORBY-SI

3 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

To be honest, live traffic based on ADS-B is always going to have those problems, since the transmitters are almost always only on when the aircraft is airborne.

Good job, though in bringing this piece of software to the community.:smile:

Hi Jay,

goods job finding the source!

There are more issues unfortunately. Not all aircraft have ADS-B transponders, so there is a fair amount of traffic that is invisible to the data providers. But even if they have and if the transponder is on, the signal is often blocked by obstacles (Innsbruck) or when the aircaft descend below a certain altitude. The volunteer data collectors seldom live right on the airport, so at a certain point the feed simply drops out. And sometimes their feed is lost altogether - when they turn off their computer, and go to bed...

The greater problem is, that the ADS-B feed seemingly does not contain the information what aircraft model is sending it. It is relatively easy to get the movement data, but not the actual type, where it comes from and where it is going - that is why I am using two different data sources. 

For the record, the FlightAware client is still in there, like in november. I have just blocked access to it, as I feel that it is simply too expensive ($2 - $10 per hour!). Coverage is rather good though.

Best wishes

LORBY-SI

Cool program but get this error - you might have to click on pic for larger image.

kmjk-S.png

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Hello Paul,

I'm sorry I totally forgot about that one. This error is probably caused by an artifact in your cameras.cfg or aircraft.cfg which is usually a remnant from uninstalling EZDOK version 1.

Please have a look at your cameras.cfg (AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX): there is a high probability that you will find a broken camera configuration looking like this:

[CameraDefinition.002]
MomentumEffect=Yes

If they are there, please remove those two lines.

I have a resolution for this in code too, I just forgot that LLTX would fall into the same trap. I will update it to v14 in a few minutes.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Thanks but this is in P3D. 

Ok checked the camera config and nothing like that showed up. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Hello Paul,

sim doesn't matter, it is the same issue in all ESP products. Your cameras.cfg is in "C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3"

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Checked it and no text like that showed up. I have three ezdoc entries at the top and they are for the version I have active and below that are standard cam views but 02 is missing because it goes from 01 to 03?

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

The error states it is an aircraft config error. "Error reading aircraft.cfg <Object reference not set to an instance of an object>"

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Hi Paul,

the error message text is wrong. I didn't expect the cameras.cfg could be invalid when I made that logic way back with CameraPositionX.

The issue is, that somewhere in all your camera definitions (cameras.cfg or aircraft.cfg) there is one that has no "category". This information is mandatory, so the config is actually invalid. The simulators don't care much, but my addons do.

But before you start hunting, please download LLTX version 1.00 b14 from the Lorby-SI site, that should take care of the message. (=the error is still there in your config, but LLTX won't complain any more)

Best regards

LORBY-SI

15 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Checked it and no text like that showed up. I have three ezdoc entries at the top and they are for the version I have active and below that are standard cam views but 02 is missing because it goes from 01 to 03?

I discovered with my EZDOK version 1, that the uninstaller of EZ did not put config 02 back in - which is the default virtual cockpit - but instead it placed the above mentioned artifact in my CFG. I have come across this issue a couple of times with customers too. A few of my apps contain some form of camera control and they all complained about those broken camera cfgs.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Thanks I did but still do not get any traffic in the main window or in sim. 

I used the Aircraft Model Database to locate my WOAI folder and then let it scan that folder and when the Save button became active I hit Save. I started the sim and then clicked the Connect button and all seemed to work but no traffic. 

I know I am doing something wrong,,just not sure what.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Hello Paul,

you don't have to scan for your AI models - the database is pre-made and the mapping has already been done. The option to scan a folder is only there if you want to use a different AI model collection.

Please reset LLTX to it's initial state by removing all files in "My Documents\LorbyLiveTraffic Files" (your local changes to the database are in there). Then restart the program. Try an airport where there definitely is traffic at this time (like EDDM). Now just press connect - and wait. LLTX will initially need up to 30 seconds to gather data, but then the aircraft should start showing up. Make sure that initially "Remove default liveries" is NOT checked.

If there still is nothing happening, please have a look at the aformentioned folder in "Documents" if LLTX is writing an error logfile. If there is, please send it to me on lorby-si(at)outlook.de. I will probably need more information, so mailing seems to be the best option.

Best regards

LORBY-SI