Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[11MAR17] PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster for FSX and Prepar3D now in Beta!

12 hours ago, warbirds said:

Cool photos, thanks! The heat waves coming off those engines in the last photo really are amazing. 

They really are a sight to see and hear as 4 R2800's roar past.

Awesome engines the workshop at Fairbanks is pretty amazing they are the biggest owner of R-2800's in the world.

Many years of flying still to come.

IMG_6287-X3.jpg

IMG_9905-Edit-X3.jpg

Two R-2800's fresh from ovefhaul ready to go on the wing.

IMG_4870-X2.jpg

• Upvote 3

Darren Howie

Oh just had a great idea for PMDG's next classic project..

Still flogging around 73 years later...i-RLnswpr-X3.jpg

Love these aeroplanes just in case you didnt guess they are the ultimate contrast to my day job the A320.

• Upvote 3

Darren Howie

I'm patiently waiting for X-Plane news, good or bad! 
I'm sure others are waiting as well.:loading:

We need PMDG 737 and 777 for X-Plane!

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

Adding a couple new Orbx Alaska airports everyday while beta testing. Yesterday was Homer PAHO where I lingered and flew a few local pattern touch and go for the logbook, and today on to Valdez PAVD where I ran in to IMC and snow with embedded mountains and flew the LDA/DME-H approach into Valdez-Pioneer.  This place is beautiful... here I'm on the approach just above the 4460 ft MDA:

PAVDAppr_zpslrhasrsl.jpg

• Upvote 3

Dan Downs KCRP

3 hours ago, downscc said:

Adding a couple new Orbx Alaska airports everyday while beta testing. Yesterday was Homer PAHO where I lingered and flew a few local pattern touch and go for the logbook, and today on to Valdez PAVD where I ran in to IMC and snow with embedded mountains and flew the LDA/DME-H approach into Valdez-Pioneer.  This place is beautiful... here I'm on the approach just above the 4460 ft MDA:

PAVDAppr_zpslrhasrsl.jpg

The Orbx Sth Alaska stuff is pretty nice addon to if your not using it. Not quite Photoreal but better than base textures. Try taking her in Juneau..lol..they spens a lot of time fkying down to King Salmon, Bethel, Nome, up to the Northern Slope like Deadhorse, Barrow out of Fairbanks. Fairbanks it get to -60...brrrr its a 3-4 hour process to get a 6 or C-47 ready to fly...

IMG_3596-X3.jpg

it was only -15 when I took this.

IMG_0303-HDR-Edit-X3.jpg

Heat blankets and small heaters for the engines go everywhere with the aircraft in winter in case it goes tech at an outport. 

• Upvote 1

Darren Howie

Great shots man!  Thanks for posting!

I remember doing my flight training in the southwest, at an airport that was a forestry bomber hub during the summer.  Our dorms were a couple of miles off the departure end off of the main runway.  Man it was like an antique airshow, but those weren't show planes!...they were working planes.  Working hard too...lumbering out of that airport with heavy loads...in high temp, high density altitudes.  DCs, PB4Ys, Neptunes, P-3s, S-2s, CL-215s, Hueys...you name it, even the Erikson Skycrane showed up.

Sadly a few of them broke apart in flight and crashed due to metal fatigue.  Those old airframes could take the stress of repeated retardant drops for only so long.  However it was a real treat to hear constant the drone of big radials and heavy turboprops passing overhead all day long...it was music.  That sound was such a nice diversion from the usual lawn mower engine sounds of countless 172 and Seminole departures lol.    Still it was a kind of a thrill to be on final after a P-3 and hear from Tower....'Cessna ####' Cleared to land number 2 behind the P-3, caution wake turbulence!'

But yeah, old airplanes are wonderful.  If you are a pilot, there isn't a better 'teacher' than an old airplane with an old seasoned instructor.  Old instructors who learned how to fly using their head and not a computer.  I consider myself fortunate, during my IFR training, GPSs were just on the verge of becoming common IFR equipment, however VORs, NDBs were still in use, and their methods of navigation still taught.  They still taught the old rules of thumb then too.  When it came time to learn the GPS, I felt I got a lot more out of the GPS because I the 'old ways' drilled into my head.  

Those old planes tho, they will sure make a good pilot out of you.

Cheers

TJ

9 hours ago, pilottj said:

When it came time to learn the GPS, I felt I got a lot more out of the GPS because I the 'old ways' drilled into my head. 

That's the truth for sure. While I understand a little bit of the knee-jerk "I don't like that your DC-6 includes a GPS," I've grown to really like it. Then again, I also fly around the DC area, and the airspace around here is not the type of airspace you want to be flying around by ground reference alone.

Knowing the old ways really made the instrument rating a lot easier, too. A lot of the rules still in there come from (and govern the still flying aircraft of) those old ways.

Nice story about living down in the SW, too. Thanks for sharing that. I usually joke about hearing the "you know, when I used to fly these" stories hundreds of times in an airshow season when we take the DC-3 out, but I do appreciate most of them. Similar to how people get excited about our products, it's cool to see people get excited and nostalgic about the 3. Some of the stories are neat, too. Heck, last year we ran into a lady who was a flight attendant back when Pan Am was starting up at one of our recent shows. I think she ended up getting a pic in the article that AOPA did back in Dec.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle,

I think you guys are taking the right approach for the DC-6 and GPS.  Of the three main high quality virtual propliners available now (377, Connie, DC-6), the DC-6 is the most 'modern' of the bunch.  There are no more flying 377s or C-97s, at least not in any serious working or airshow capacity.  The handful of Connies still flying are strictly airshow airplanes flying on fundraiser dollars.  However the DC-6 is still an active workhorse.  As such, it needs to operate in today's airspace.  A small GPS unit seems plenty adequate to me.

PMDG has done a fantastic job with providing the customer with a wide assortment of equipment in the jets, I don't see the DC-6 being any different.  I am sure there will be plenty of options to keep people happy.

12 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Nice story about living down in the SW, too. Thanks for sharing that. I usually joke about hearing the "you know, when I used to fly these" stories hundreds of times in an airshow season when we take the DC-3 out, but I do appreciate most of them. Similar to how people get excited about our products, it's cool to see people get excited and nostalgic about the 3. Some of the stories are neat, too. Heck, last year we ran into a lady who was a flight attendant back when Pan Am was starting up at one of our recent shows. I think she ended up getting a pic in the article that AOPA did back in Dec.

That's really cool you guys take the Gooneybird out and really show it around.  Airplanes like that are priceless, and the more people can see and touch these legends, the better.  The Gooney is very close to me as well, my Grandfather flew C-47s in WWII.  He had a lot of great memories about that plane, and used to tell a lot of stories when he was alive.

Cheers

TJ

12 hours ago, pilottj said:

I think you guys are taking the right approach for the DC-6 and GPS.  Of the three main high quality virtual propliners available now (377, Connie, DC-6), the DC-6 is the most 'modern' of the bunch.  There are no more flying 377s or C-97s, at least not in any serious working or airshow capacity.  The handful of Connies still flying are strictly airshow airplanes flying on fundraiser dollars.  However the DC-6 is still an active workhorse.  As such, it needs to operate in today's airspace.  A small GPS unit seems plenty adequate to me.

PMDG has done a fantastic job with providing the customer with a wide assortment of equipment in the jets, I don't see the DC-6 being any different.  I am sure there will be plenty of options to keep people happy.

Thanks TJ. I appreciate this (and I'm sure the team does as well). While we don't take much flak when we take the DC-3 around, we do pick up a decent amount with the 6. I can understand it somewhat, given that not having one might offer a bit more authentic nostalgia by being forced to use the old methods, but with the technology being so wildly different (airway beacons are decommissioned/gone, LFRR is gone, LORAN is gone, etc.), a lot of the infrastructure required for that truly authentic experience isn't even in the sim. Plus, it's nice to have the GPS when you get in a pinch.

I do like to "blind" myself by keeping the GPS off the map page and not entering anything for the CDI to guide me with, but I've had enough "blind" flying scares in the real world that I prefer to have the GPS as a backup whenever I can. The first time was on my long PPL XC flight way back when GPS wasn't standard in GA fleets, and I was flying an old 152 from OKV-ROA-BCB-OKV. On my way back from OKV, I was flying back by ROA (a Class C) and had one of those moments of terror where you're flying in unfamiliar terrain, cross referencing the picture out the window with the sectional, and are thinking to yourself "oh no, am I not where I think I am and busting airspace right now???" A few moments later, I realized I was just fine, but that quick moment of terror wasn't fun. Without a continuous, positive indication of your position, those moments are more frequent. For those of you who have heard my story about why I no longer use the 'B' key shortcut. That was the same flight.

I still fly a few aircraft in and out of JYO (under IAD's B shelves) that don't have GPS, which makes me quite nervous, even when there are numerous ground features that somewhat demarcate the B shelves.

12 hours ago, pilottj said:

That's really cool you guys take the Gooneybird out and really show it around.  Airplanes like that are priceless, and the more people can see and touch these legends, the better.  The Gooney is very close to me as well, my Grandfather flew C-47s in WWII.  He had a lot of great memories about that plane, and used to tell a lot of stories when he was alive.

Nice! Ours started life as a C-47, actually, but never saw any action and got converted into a DC-3C for various roles, including a more plush life with CBS Broadcasting (see here for a few cool old black and whites from Getty), and then a busier life with other owners and sightseeing companies.

Luckily, we've been able to acquire some a number of good memories of our own with her. I got to sit up in the chase plane as a safety/radio pilot for the shoot we did with AOPA. That was pretty awesome.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

On 3/14/2017 at 0:23 AM, PinkJackal said:

I'm patiently waiting for X-Plane news, good or bad! 
I'm sure others are waiting as well.:loading:

We need PMDG 737 and 777 for X-Plane!

Just for information. It sounds like any movement over is not in the short term plan unless I am totally missing something.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Ok, what did I miss? The DC 6 is fantastic news. Now what is this talk of three 4 engine aircraft? DC 6, 747-8, and ???, or is the 747-400 still considered one of those three? 

Ah yes, I seem to have read about a C 17 somewhere, sounds like a plan to me!!

The DC 6 for P3D.....at last. Amazing news!

Ah the sweet days before air travel became mass transit. I wonder how long FSXers will have to wait after P3D release.

Vic green

4 engines.......PMDG likes Boeing Jets.........the only one left is the 707.....oh Thank You Lord!

Ted Striker

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

2 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

I wonder how long FSXers will have to wait after P3D release.

Why do you assume you have to wait..... or are you just being snippy this morning?  We are simultaneously beta testing FSX and P3D models.  There are differences.

I think the B744 is still counted as under development, we still have testing and I believe PMDG is still working with it. Just my opinion mind you.... the B707 has already been ruled out and I don't think a Lockheed airplane is going to make it into the hanger of a company that has a licensing arrangement with Boeing, which rules out the C-17.

Dan Downs KCRP