Sign in to follow this  
JamesIceland

The Change to 64 Bit - What Exactly Happens?

Hi  @ll,

sorry, my mistake, I should have worded that differently. Of course the platform itself needs AI object control, and I think that the new "external simulator engine methods" are meant for that too (so you could control for example cars and helicopters - no need to limit the platform to AI airplanes - and no need for LM to implement any of that themselves). What I meant was, that the randomized default airliner-GA-bgl-flightplan-based traffic could be removed without any of the professional customers complaining about it. Randomized events AFAIK would defeat the purpose of a training scenario, as you cannot predict the outcome if you don't know if an event will even happen - and as a consequence you can't develop a metric to rate the trainees performance. LM has put many hours into building up SimDirector, SimConnect and the weapons systems instead of updating the "flightsim parts" of P3D, and that IMO indicates a certain preference.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Arma 3 just updated (for free) to 64 bit this weekend. The result no more stutters.

The stuttering were most noticeable when zooming where it loaded detailed textures and that never went smooth.

Possible explanation for the improvement: More textures loading at startup (no more memory limitations).

So if P3D 64 is able to load more textures initially possibly it will have less stutters. More textures in memory = Less access to the hard drive = improved performance. That is the purpose of RAM after all. 

Well it turns out that the answer to the original question I posted was much more general:

It fixes everything and most add on developers were ready or able to update really quickly. All that worry we had about compatibility (especially with aircraft e.g PMDG) was unfounded. Almost all developers have released updates with no issues.

I for one am finding the performance to be superb and I'm delighted with how the change to 64 bit has gone.

• Upvote 1