Sign in to follow this  

Air Frame 'Mileage/Hours'

While reading about the service based failures, I had a thought about the mileage/hours each air frame has covered.  I keep an Excel spreadsheet of my flights but it's pretty basic.  I was curious if there was somewhere in the FMC that kept a track of how many hours\miles each air frame has covered so you can look it up as you fly that particular plane.

MSFS (and all the variants of it) has a 'pilot records' log feature which does that.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, junkyspam7 said:

While reading about the service based failures, I had a thought about the mileage/hours each air frame has covered.  I keep an Excel spreadsheet of my flights but it's pretty basic.  I was curious if there was somewhere in the FMC that kept a track of how many hours\miles each air frame has covered so you can look it up as you fly that particular plane.

Hours, kinda...but keep in mind there's a difference between system powered, and what you'd throw in your logbook.

Miles, no. That's kinda superfluous in aviation. You could point yourself into a 100 knot headwind and be going 100 knots through that parcel of air for one hour. Over the ground, you've made zero progress. Through the air, you've gone 100 nm. Interesting stat, but...not of much use other than "that's neat."

Kyle Rodgers

I meant hours, thanks, Kyle.

Shame, it wold have been good for there to be something maybe in the Op Center that would track hours for each air frame against your account so if you reinstalled it wouldn't be lost.

Cheers

James Smith

2 hours ago, junkyspam7 said:

Shame, it wold have been good for there to be something maybe in the Op Center that would track hours for each air frame against your account so if you reinstalled it wouldn't be lost.

James,

This is already done. The Intro Manual explains. The hours files remain when you uninstall and aren't overwritten when you reinstall. To be extra sure, you can always go into the proper folder after uninstalling and snag those hours files to drop back in after the reinstall.

Kyle Rodgers

5 hours ago, junkyspam7 said:

I keep an Excel spreadsheet of my flights but it's pretty basic. 

You may enjoy the logbook application I developed and provide free from the AVSIM library. Use "LogEditv2" in the search box and should go directly to the download.  Works in FSX/P3D and will transfer the logbook file from one format to the other as well as providing a few other useful tools.  The one i use most often the the ability to join two flight records, useful when I have to save/exit/start/load cycle to reset VAS.

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

James,

This is already done. The Intro Manual explains. The hours files remain when you uninstall and aren't overwritten when you reinstall. To be extra sure, you can always go into the proper folder after uninstalling and snag those hours files to drop back in after the reinstall.

Hi Kyle

Is this the section on Page 79 and sorry to be a pain but in which actual folder can I find the hours files?

Ta!

2 hours ago, downscc said:

You may enjoy the logbook application I developed and provide free from the AVSIM library. Use "LogEditv2" in the search box and should go directly to the download.  Works in FSX/P3D and will transfer the logbook file from one format to the other as well as providing a few other useful tools.  The one i use most often the the ability to join two flight records, useful when I have to save/exit/start/load cycle to reset VAS.

Thanks Dan, I will check that out, sounds awesome, appreciate the heads up!

18 minutes ago, junkyspam7 said:

in which actual folder can I find the hours files?

<sim root folder>\PMDG\PMDG 747 QOTS II\Aircraft

You'll note a bunch of files in there with a .hours file type.

Kyle Rodgers

3 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

<sim root folder>\PMDG\PMDG 747 QOTS II\Aircraft

You'll note a bunch of files in there with a .hours file type.

Perfect! Couldn't get to PC to check this as away on business so appreciate the quick reply and help.  Difficult just reading the manuals in a hotel room and not being able to see it visually!

Really appreciate this, ta!

1 minute ago, junkyspam7 said:

Really appreciate this, ta!

Welcome. Enjoy the trip.

Kyle Rodgers