Sign in to follow this  
tamba765

Thrustmaster T-Rudder Brakes sticking

When using my Thrustmaster Rudder / Brake Pedals, it seems like the brakes are sticking and slowing all my aircraft while taxiing. The input test page shows the sliders about halfway up the scale when I open it.

If I tap the brake pedals, the sliders then move to zero, which where I assume they should be if no brake pressure is being applied. The "Apply" button on the page is greyed out, so there's no way to save the settings. 

Also, the nose wheel steering is way too sensitive when using the rudders for directional control during the the takeoff and landing rolls. I use FSX, and have the rudder sensitivity set as low as it will go.

I made sure the switch on the unit is in the airplane mode. I have the T.A.R.G.E.T software installed, but frankly, even after reading the manual, I'm not sure how to set it up. Any ideas how to deal with these problems?

Thanks. Pete Locascio

Pete Locascio

Regarding the brake issue... are you using dead zones?  About 5%-10% should be fine.  Also, it sounds like the pots may be dirty.  I usually clean mine abut once a year using contact cleaner.  A quick spritz, let the pot(s) dry for an hour or so, then go fly.

Haven't heard of a steering problem as bad as yours!!  You have FSX sensitivity set as low as possible yet the nose wheel steering is too much?  I've not used TARGET in a few years (tried it on my Cougar and then went back to FOXY) but you should be able to add a curve that you can configure "flat" so as to decrease sensitivity.

HTH and Good Luck

Greg

The rudders are brand new, but I'll look at the pots if I can find them. I'll also try dead zone adjustments. As I mentioned, the manual for TARGET might as well be written in Chinese. I don't have a clue what the hell they're talking about, or what to type in the boxes to get the program to work. Thanks for your response.

Pete Locascio

3 hours ago, tamba765 said:

The rudders are brand new...

Yep, frustrating!  My Saitek Combat pedals had the same problem when I bought them... out of the box the right brake pedal would hang and grab.  Sprayed with contact cleaner and all has been well ever since (3 years).

It's curious how sensitive your rudder axis is.  Is this with all aircraft?  Is it the same in another simulator?  What joystick/controller are you using and could there be a conflict between it and your pedals?

Instructions for creating a curve for the axis response in the TARGET manual begins at the bottom of pg 14 in the section titled, "Configure Axis Response".  At the top of page 15 is the screen you use... make sure you have chosen the rudder axis and that "S Curve" is active as shown in the pic, then just adjust the "CURVE" slider till you get the sensitivity you want.  You'll want what the manual defines as "the weaker the slope" (pg 17 w/ a pic)... try adjusting the "CURVE" slider to a "-" setting.  Then try the ground steering in the sim, rinse and repeat until you have the sensitivity you like (it only take a few minutes).

Greg

12 hours ago, tamba765 said:

When using my Thrustmaster Rudder / Brake Pedals, it seems like the brakes are sticking and slowing all my aircraft while taxiing. The input test page shows the sliders about halfway up the scale when I open it.

If I tap the brake pedals, the sliders then move to zero, which where I assume they should be if no brake pressure is being applied. The "Apply" button on the page is greyed out, so there's no way to save the settings. 

Thanks. Pete Locascio

Sounds like they just need calibration.
You cannot do that on the test page.

Assuming you are using the Windows calibration app rather than within FSX
click the Settings tab to the left of the Test tab then select Calibration.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

OK, I tried all the suggestions, but now the brakes seem completely locked. I'm still not really getting how the TARGET software works. I'm just not all that sharp with stuff like this. The rudder is still way too sensitive, all the aircraft are affected, and my controllers are all Thrustmaster products. I'm going to uninstall the TARGET software and see if I can calibrate the rudder. All the other controllers work fine. I'm glad the software in the real Boeings I flew worked better! Thanks.

Pete Locascio

4 hours ago, tamba765 said:

The rudder is still way too sensitive, all the aircraft are affected, and my controllers are all Thrustmaster products.

Ahh, you should first rule out controller conflicts.  Disconnect all other controllers and do taxi tests in the sim (using the keyboard to increase/decrease power as required).  If your rudder control becomes less sensitive during taxi tests then you have a controller conflict.

Greg

OK, I uninstalled the TARGET software, since I think some of the changes I attempted made things worse. I then recalibrated the T-Rudder. I also pumped the brakes several times by hand, made sure everything was clean, and adjusted the sensitivity again. It seems to be functioning much better now, so far . Thanks for all the responses.

Pete Locascio