Sign in to follow this  
Aharon

Totally Clueless About Utlizing GTX1060 or FSX Settings

Your new laptop isn't exactly top end to get what you want, 3.5Ghz turbo speed is low for FSX, the GTX1060 has only a bandwidth of 192 bits where the ideal for FSX is 250 or more and this causes some uncrisp scenery to so raising your numbers will only make things worse. Use NVidia inspector and set that up properly for FSX and limit frames at 30 in game and things might get better. You talk about flight level 350 and show pictures from almost ground level? have you ever been on a plane at FL350? you won't see everything crisp any more, far from and most simmers would like to come close to reality, not everything crisp for hunfreds of miles.

Herman

Herman:Your new laptop isn't exactly top end to get what you want, 3.5Ghz turbo speed is low for FSX

Herman,

If my 6 year old laptop with 12 GB ram, 2 GB dedicated GT 580 Cuda NiVidia video ram, i7 processor at 2.12 mhz and 750 GB 7,200 rpm hard drive could without any problem create crisp sharp ground textures of towns and cities, then my new powerful laptop with 16 GB ram with fastest memory chips, 6 GB dedicated GTX1060 video ram, Latest 6th Gen. Skylark Intel® Core™ i7 processor at 3.20 mhz, and 1 TB 7,200 rpm hard drive should be able to do same thing. That is all I am asking for. I am not interested in maxing out. I am interested in making sure ground textures of towns and cities are CRISP SHARP for sake of beauty of screenshots.

All I want is to find CORRECT settings that will result into crisp sharp ground textures of cities and towns. There is nothing wrong with my very powerful laptop but the problem is how to find correct settings to utilize mighty strength of the powerful laptop to have sharp ground textures of cities and towns.

Herman:You talk about flight level 350 and show pictures from almost ground level?

Yep  Made hundreds of thousands of screenshots past 9 years without problem and was able to identify names of streets, avenues, highways, and buildings from FL350 in my screenshots past 9 years.

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

set up NVidia inspector according this link http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html ( to the letter, not only reading it and do other stuff ) and set LOD to 6.5 the way I suggested  and let us know how this is doing. The GTX1060 isn't better then the GTX580 on your old system, they both only have 192bit bandwidth. What is the CL of your RAM and what speed? the higher the CL number, the slower the RAM, for FSX it all works together and 16Gb doesn't do anything for FSX since it is a 32bit application and therefore can't use more then about 4Gb of RAM.

Herman

One year has elapsed and I have not yet still figured out how to utilize new powerful computer with too many settings to make ground textures crisp from FL350

Sorry for bringing up this old thread but am hoping that any new forum member would read this entire thread and might have solution SHORT of telling me to ditch FSX for P3Dv4.4 which I would never do.

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

Have you tried a hammer yet, Aharon?  That's my fix-all tool:happy:

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

On 12/13/2018 at 10:39 AM, Aharon said:

One year has elapsed and I have not yet still figured out how to utilize new powerful computer with too many settings to make ground textures crisp from FL350

Sorry for bringing up this old thread but am hoping that any new forum member would read this entire thread and might have solution SHORT of telling me to ditch FSX for P3Dv4.4 which I would never do.

Regards,

Aharon

Have you read the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide w/settings for your config and the Nvidia Inspector?

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Have you read the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide w/settings for your config and the Nvidia Inspector?

no   let me look around Avsim and try to find it and read it.  Thanks  Did not know Avsim has guide for that.

I am using SAME settings for FSX in both 6 year old laptop and much newer laptop whose configurations are already described. If the aging laptop's FSX produces crisp sharp ground textures from FL350, I should expect SAME or better performance from much newer and more powerful laptop using SAME default settings of FSX as the old laptop. I am guessing I am NOT or my laptop is NOT utilizing or Windows 10 is NOT utilizing FSX properly to get crisp sharp ground textures. Maybe I am not properly utilizing the newer laptop's too many functions and tech glitzes??????

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

On 3/19/2017 at 9:54 AM, Aharon said:

Latest 6th Gen. Skylark Intel® Core™ i7 processor at 3.20 mhz

Never heard of this.  Do you mean the Skylake i7 6560U CPU? Or the i7 6700?

For crisp sharp ground textures at FL350, make sure the resolution is at 30 in outside view and in the VC (hit the minus key until 30 shows up).  Make sure no autogen is turned on (at FL350 it is impossible to see autogen anyway).  Make sure there are no exterior shadows on ground turned on.  (Why would you want to have shadows at FL350?).  Make sure LOD is at 6.5 (remember that goes back to the default if you ever open up your fsx settings within FSX).  With my system, I get no blurries whatsoever at FL350 (but it is hard to see the detail on the ground even though it is crisp).  When you descend for landing, you will want to go into your settings and turn exterior shadows back on.

I do not know what CPU you have in your laptop but turn OFF hyper-threading if your CPU has that capability.  For me, turning off HT made the scenery on the ground look clearer and I could see potholes in the streets (just kidding).  I have Seattle X and the scenery there is as clear as ever at FL350.  It's just that you cannot pick out many of the details on the ground.  With this "tweak", you must not have anything like affinity mask in your config.  Affinity Mask = bad.  In fact, you should not have any tweaks enabled in your fsx.cfg other than highmemfix=1 in the Graphics section.  The more you mess around with the fsx.cfg, the more likely you will see anomalies and issues with FSX.

Also, just because you get 100 fps with FSX does not mean clear textures.  Your settings must be set to allow clear textures with no blurries.  Of course, when you do this, your FPS will go down as you just caused your sim to provide more rendering.  With my system, overclocked to 5.0GHz, I can get over 300 fps in default setting mode at KLAS (Vegas) but it does not mean my textures are clear.  In fact the textures really look ugly (but I get over 300 fps).  This is why you need to limit those fps to no higher than or the average fps when you have all sliders set to the max.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

15 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Never heard of this.  Do you mean the Skylake i7 6560U CPU? Or the i7 6700?

I dunno  That is what it said on this website (they call it right now Latest 7th Gen. Skylark Intel® Core™ i7 processor at 3.20 mhz instead of Latest 6th Gen. Skylark Intel® Core™ i7 processor at 3.20 mhz last year)

https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GE62VR-APACHE-PRO-7th-Gen-GTX-1060.html#hero-overview

Affinity Mask = bad.  In fact, you should not have any tweaks enabled in your fsx.cfg other than highmemfix=1 in the Graphics section. 

That is what I did   I avoid affinity mask stuff and I already am using famous highmemfix=1 trick and I do not mess up any tweaks in fsx.cfg in order to engage in silly fancy fps envy competition or show off.

This is why you need to limit those fps to no higher than or the average fps when you have all sliders set to the max.

I set it to 60 fps limit to get most clear of ground textures from FL350 but not good enough  (under plane is sharp but looking at left ot right side does not show sharp ground textures.  If you say 60 fps is too high, then please tell me what number you would suggest.

Meanwhile I will try all your other suggested tricks for crisp sharp ground textures. Meanwhile I do not use shadow option as this option makes AI traffic invisible. Deactivating shadow option makes AI traffic visible.

I will figure out how to deactivate hyper-threading stuff.

(but it is hard to see the detail on the ground even though it is crisp).  It's just that you cannot pick out many of the details on the ground. 

I actually can identify names of streets, highways, roads, buildings, etc etc from FL350  🙂

Many thanks for your kindness in giving me more suggestions and tips that I will try out.

Regards,

Aharon

Edited by Aharon
  • Like 1

signCopy.jpg