Sign in to follow this  
wombat457

ATC for FS9?

I am looking for an ATC program for FS9 that works in-conjunction with FS Commander 9.

I have tried PFE but that is a pain in the rectum to run and doesn't always work for some reason.  I also have Radar Contact but that doesn't seem to read the FS flight plans and does what it thinks it should do.  

What I am looking for is a GOOD (payware or freeware) ATC program that I can import the flight plan into that I created using FS Commander and have the ATC use that plan for it's instructions.  Hope that makes sense.

Thanks and hope such a beast exists.

Radar Contact does, in fact, read and use the FS flight plans. Why would you think it doesn't? I suggest you read the manual, because for FS9 RC is as good as it gets.

DJ

Why would I think it doesn't?  Because on the few occasions I used it in conjunction with FS Commander - it didn't simple as that.

My flight plan was created using FS Commander, loaded in FS and when I started RC it was giving me courses that were very different to the loaded flight plan and, as FS Commander was controlling the flight, was constantly telling me that I was off course. Heck, even the RC forum says/implies that it wont follow the loaded flight plan by telling people to listen to RC ATC and not worry about following the fpln shown in FS.

For what it is worth, I did read the manual and followed it to the letter when I first got it.

It sounds like you're using two programs where you only need one. Why do you need FS Commander to control your flight while using Radar Contact? Once I've saved my FSC flightplan, I close FSC. I only have Radar Contact and FSMetar running with FS2004, and Radar Contact has always worked as it should.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, wombat457 said:

Why would I think it doesn't?  Because on the few occasions I used it in conjunction with FS Commander - it didn't simple as that.

My flight plan was created using FS Commander, loaded in FS and when I started RC it was giving me courses that were very different to the loaded flight plan and, as FS Commander was controlling the flight, was constantly telling me that I was off course. Heck, even the RC forum says/implies that it wont follow the loaded flight plan by telling people to listen to RC ATC and not worry about following the fpln shown in FS.

For what it is worth, I did read the manual and followed it to the letter when I first got it.

I haven't used RC4 or FS9 in a decade; however, I'm pretty sure you have to import the plan into RC4, not just FS9.  Also, you realize that RC4 is going to vector you once you get to a certain point, regardless of your flight plan, unless you request RNVA/ILS etc.  It sounds like you don't understand real world ATC procedures and/or didn't bother to read the RC4 manual.  If you're looking for something better, it doesn't exist.  Read the manual, it's all in there....

• Upvote 1

Matt King

First up, thank you A32xx for being civil and offering an opinion, along with a suggestion, that is constructive, polite and helpful. 

As for the other replies - well, I'll treat them appropriately.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, wombat457 said:

First up, thank you A32xx for being civil and offering an opinion, along with a suggestion, that is constructive, polite and helpful. 

As for the other replies - well, I'll treat them appropriately.

You're upset because we suggested you RTM before professing a product, that's been around for 15 years, doesn't work? Your reputation appears to be well earned, sir.... 

• Upvote 1

Matt King

1 hour ago, wombat457 said:

Just exactly what part of that are you having problems comprehending?

What annoys me, are people who don't offer suggestions, like A32xx did, but merely tell you to do something you have already done.  People who make assumptions and jump to conclusions and make comment without any basis of fact also annoy me. 

As for that reputation thing, I really don't care as it seems as though anyone will give you a thumbs down if, and when, you don't agree with them.

2 hours ago, wombat457 said:

I am looking for an ATC program for FS9 that works in-conjunction with FS Commander 9.

I have tried PFE but that is a pain in the rectum to run and doesn't always work for some reason.  I also have Radar Contact but that doesn't seem to read the FS flight plans and does what it thinks it should do.  

What I am looking for is a GOOD (payware or freeware) ATC program that I can import the flight plan into that I created using FS Commander and have the ATC use that plan for it's instructions.  Hope that makes sense.

Thanks and hope such a beast exists.

You say you have tried PFE. But have you tried PF3? It is most certainly not a pain in the nether regions. Is is always kept up to date. And the "after sales" service is second to none.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, vololiberista said:

You say you have tried PFE. But have you tried PF3? It is most certainly not a pain in the nether regions. Is is always kept up to date. And the "after sales" service is second to none.

Thank you and no I haven't, actually I haven't heard of PF3 but will definitely take a look at it!  Thanks for the direction.

Just for the record though, I reinstalled both FSC and RC and they now seem to be working together properly.  A short flight from KBUF to KJFK established that with an "excellent flight" report from RC to boot, and I didn't even have to read the manual again ;)

4 hours ago, wombat457 said:

Thank you and no I haven't, actually I haven't heard of PF3 but will definitely take a look at it!  Thanks for the direction.

Just for the record though, I reinstalled both FSC and RC and they now seem to be working together properly.  A short flight from KBUF to KJFK established that with an "excellent flight" report from RC to boot, and I didn't even have to read the manual again ;)

This is the latest iteration of PF3 in operation. A short flight to Turin that doesn't quite go to plan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF1PVEVdQDo&t=1809s

Thanks mate, I'll take a look at it as well.  I did look at PF3 and it does look good.  To be honest though, I am a little concerned about it being an OnCourse product, having read a large number of issues with their products with regards to installation and connectivity.

Just looked at your vid and have to say, that is the first time I have seen a bird strike in FS, sad but amazing!  

The voices seem to be less robotic than RC and and a little clearer and that is a plus. I do like the directions to the gate, if that is a part of PF3 that is.  All in all, it does seem impressive!

• Upvote 1

Yes, directions from/to the gate/terminal/parking spot are from PF3's included TGS (Taxi Guidance System).

If vololiberista hadn't already mentioned it, I would have recommended it, too.

(disclaimer: we are both beta testers for PF3)

Thomas,

Thanks, appreciate the confirmation.  Don't take this the wrong way but as you said, both yourself and vololoberista are Beta testers for it so I was wondering if there was any where I could get an "independent" review of it as well.

As I said, it looks good from what it has and from the small video, but so did FDC Live and PFE Deluxe (which I have both of) and they are littered with issues.