Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

Turboprop Reverse Pitch Sounds Not Right?

I am of the opinion that good engine sounds are one of the most important elements contributing to the level of immersion one feels with any aircraft in FSX. However, with regard to reverse pitch, although most developers provide a realistic replication of the sound of reverse pitch being applied, it seems to me that almost all fail to accurately replicate the sounds of the propellers returning to normal pitch after reverse is discontinued. In most cases, the transition from reverse pitch sound back to normal pitch sound seems to occur far too abruptly and, as far as I can see, the only developer that has managed to replicate this transition accurately is Majestic with their Q400.

When I add a new turboprop aircraft to my fleet I always assess the engine sounds throughout their full range and I just wondered if anyone else is of the same opinion or am I just being a bit too obsessional about this aspect of turboprop simulation?

Bill

There is a cure for your situation.  Why not use the sound folder from the Q400 for any turboprop aircraft that doesn't meet your specification?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I sometimes copy and use sound folders from other aircraft or alias an aircraft to them if I think they provide improved sound. However I just wondered if anyone else had noticed that developers tend to neglect this aspect of the reverse pitch sound sequence. 

Bill

Have you considered that the default sound and flight dynamics system (the former is tied to the latter) is too limited to provide accurate reverse pitch sounds?

The Q400 gets it right because its flight dynamics (and sounds?) work outside the box.

• Upvote 2

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

1 hour ago, Bjoern said:

Have you considered that the default sound and flight dynamics system (the former is tied to the latter) is too limited to provide accurate reverse pitch sounds?

The Q400 gets it right because its flight dynamics (and sounds?) work outside the box.

That's a very good point and, I have to admit, something I hadn't thought of. The Q400 certainly has perhaps the most accurate flight dynamics of all the FSX  turboprops I've flown and, if the sounds are tied to that, then it could explain how transitioning out of reverse pitch on that aircraft sounds just right - in the Q400 the sound basically takes a couple of seconds to change back from reverse pitch with a gradual change in sound accurately reflecting the changing pitch of the propellor, but in most others the sound change is almost instant which just does not sound right.

I know I am being obsessional 😉 and it is probably something I should try to ignore but it is one of those little things that just irritates me! 

Bill

Simulator obsessions can be cured by switching to the real thing. Since this, in most cases, is too expensive or outright impossible for other reasons, the realism tradeoffs required for a $50 simulator geared toward average Janes and Joes (who don't care about the particular issue) don't sound too bad.

(Seriously, sometimes the community needs a reality check. With a 747 POH.)

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Not everyone's hearing is the same so it is probably almost impossible to satisfy everyone.  At 83, mine needs help so I just try and concentrate how a plane fly's and how detailed and accurate the cockpit is, not in how it sounds.

This keeps me satisfied...grin

Tom

• Upvote 1