Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[13MAR17] [UPDATED] Faults when running the Operation Center and/or the OC based Product Updaters AND WHAT TO DO...

2 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

Gents,

Just a quick update to let you know that we are making very solid headway toward improving the product updating experience.  We are working on improved distribution speed to areas outside of the US/Europe, and we believe we will be rolling out an update to the Operations Center and the product updaters that will dramatically improve stability for users.

We have not yet made progress on the anti-virus corruption issue, but we will...

(See? I wasn't kidding when i said we were working on this stuff around the clock...)

Thanks PMDG team for this effort. I, in New Zealand, experienced a fairly slow download of the first update, but a pretty speedy one of the second update. You guys are no doubt working on all sorts around the clock and that is pretty awesome customer service. All hail PMDG!! :cool:

7 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

We have not yet made progress on the anti-virus corruption issue, but we will...

(See? I wasn't kidding when i said we were working on this stuff around the clock...)

I know you all want to provide the end user with the most seamless process as possible when updating and I don't know if I am alone in this thinking but... At some point doesn't the end user and their individual choice of a/v software bear some responsibility on their part. PMDG has now a reliable and efficient manner to update the product. If the end users a/v is that aggressive I see you have provided them a viable workaround, disable the a/v temporarily to update or white list the OC. The end user should be made in my opinion to either do that or find a better a/v program. I myself researched and found a very good a/v program that gives me no issues with P3D, PMDG or any other flight sim software (ESET NOD32). I hate that you guys are having to work on this issue instead of focusing on further 747 updates and the 777/NGX updates. 

Eric 

Eric,

You won't get an argument from me. 

Fact is that 20 years ago, everyone needed third party A/V software.  Now?  Not so much, really.

But the A/V process has become embedded into our user-psyche as a must-have and we completely overlook the tools fact that tools made by the OS manufacturers, and modern entities like malwarebytes provide far more protection than nearly all users need.

It took Ryan a few years to convince me to back away from the overly aggressive A/V solution that I had clung to for years.  Now and then my A/V software would gloriously present me with a trophy kill and gave me the satisfaction of knowing I was doing right by the universe...  In fact most of the trophy kills were false positives harming actual software.  :dry:

But we want to help all customers- so we are looking at some modifications that may improve life for those who continue to cling to the 90s.  :gaul:

• Upvote 2

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

On 3/15/2017 at 0:08 AM, B777ER said:

I know you all want to provide the end user with the most seamless process as possible when updating and I don't know if I am alone in this thinking but... At some point doesn't the end user and their individual choice of a/v software bear some responsibility on their part. PMDG has now a reliable and efficient manner to update the product. If the end users a/v is that aggressive I see you have provided them a viable workaround, disable the a/v temporarily to update or white list the OC. The end user should be made in my opinion to either do that or find a better a/v program. I myself researched and found a very good a/v program that gives me no issues with P3D, PMDG or any other flight sim software (ESET NOD32). I hate that you guys are having to work on this issue instead of focusing on further 747 updates and the 777/NGX updates. 

I used NOD32 and have had issues.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Hello,

I have the 747 installed on two computers, a desktop and a laptop. I updated the 747 without any issues on my desktop but on my laptop I can't get it updated. 

I get the following error message while updating the 747: PMDG_Updater_744_XSE.exe has stopped working (the cmd window does open).

I searched for this problem in this thread but I can't find anything related. I'm not sure what's happening here.

Kind regards,
Tomas

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

38 minutes ago, simtom said:

I searched for this problem in this thread but I can't find anything related.

This thread has very specific instructions that cover any problem, for example making sure the AV software is turned OFF.  You didn't mention if you tried that or are simply not using any on your laptop. Are laptop and desktop both either Win7 or Win10?

Dan Downs KCRP

2 minutes ago, downscc said:

This thread has very specific instructions that cover any problem, for example making sure the AV software is turned OFF.  You didn't mention if you tried that or are simply not using any on your laptop. Are laptop and desktop both either Win7 or Win10?

On my laptop I'm using Windows Defender and on my desktop I'm using a dedicated A/V program (avast). Both are running Windows 10.

Defender shouldn't be a problem, maybe something else is going on.  Perhaps your ISP?  Did you try several times to install the update (to include downloading files)?

A good place to start is turning off Defender if for no other reason than to rule it out.  Something is halting the execution of the cmd sequence.

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Defender shouldn't be a problem, maybe something else is going on.  Perhaps your ISP?  Did you try several times to install the update (to include downloading files)?

A good place to start is turning off Defender if for no other reason than to rule it out.  Something is halting the execution of the cmd sequence.

I don't think it has to do with my ISP, since it's the same for my desktop. I've included a screenshot which shows the cmd as well as the error message (it's in Dutch).

BzgUMnF.png

9 minutes ago, simtom said:

I don't think it has to do with my ISP, since it's the same for my desktop. I've included a screenshot which shows the cmd as well as the error message (it's in Dutch).

Looks like it's not being run as an admin, or something is interfering with it.

Kyle Rodgers

21 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Looks like it's not being run as an admin, or something is interfering with it.

I've tried that as well but it gives the same error message.

4 minutes ago, simtom said:

I've tried that as well but it gives the same error message.

To be clear, you've absolutely 100% verified that your anti-virus program has excepted (is not actively scanning) the operations center? Have you tried temporarily disabling your AV software while you run the updater?

It's failing at a line where it checks your registry. This happens only when you're not running as an admin (which is somewhat impossible, as I've forced the program to request them), or something is preventing it from doing so (AV programs).

Kyle Rodgers

Black gauges after updating, a/v completely uninstalled.  Running OC in admin.  P3D folder has full read/write.  Thoughts?

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Black gauges after updating, a/v completely uninstalled.  Running OC in admin.  P3D folder has full read/write.  Thoughts?

Corrupted download. Unless there's some other program getting in the way, it's going to be your connection somehow.

Kyle Rodgers

Where is the download stored so I can delete it?

spacer.png