Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[13MAR17] [UPDATED] Faults when running the Operations Center and/or the OC based Product Updaters AND WHAT TO DO...

Kyle

I, for one, always appreciate your suggestions and suppositions. 

However, I live in South Florida, which is not exactly the hinterlands, and very seldom have problems with downloads.

Each time (at least 12) I tried to update via the Operation Center, it sped thought the download, and a command window opened:  It indicated that 2 items were updated and completed.  Then everything ceased. I waited at least 3 or 5 minutes several times. Then gave up. Nothing, it seemed, was happening. (I know now that I was too hasty to give up).  That’s when I posted the my lack of success with the update.  It was then that a fellow simmer suggested that it might be a very long process.  So I tried again. The command window did not resume updating for at least 6 or 7 long minutes:  The whole process took more than 25 minutes to complete the update.  But, success at last!    

I believe, only a theory, that Windows 10 may be the culprit in this case.  When you turn off virus protection and /or the firewall, Windows 10 Defender tries or does turn-back on automatically - this could be what slowed-down the process so substantially.  Perhaps it monitors activity in the command lines more closely, thus slowing down the update. (A side note: Some of the first Win 10 unstoppable updates me caused a bunch of problems in the beginning with FS).

But if there is a second QOTS  update, I will be well prepared to sit and wait.

So thanks again Kyle, et al, for trying to resolve all the problems we have with this obsessive hobby...

Jerry Neidick  

1 hour ago, overspeed3 said:

I believe, only a theory, that Windows 10 may be the culprit in this case.  When you turn off virus protection and /or the firewall, Windows 10 Defender tries or does turn-back on automatically - this could be what slowed-down the process so substantially.  Perhaps it monitors activity in the command lines more closely, thus slowing down the update. (A side note: Some of the first Win 10 unstoppable updates me caused a bunch of problems in the beginning with FS).

I can safely say that theory is incorrect, as I run Windows 10 and did not have this issue.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Capt K.

Iv'e had many problems with Win10 since I got a new gaming rig with it pre-installed (licensed to the PC build company ) and had to give up Win 7...

But again, it's only a theory: Who knows?  But aren't there are a bunch of others out there with update problems?  One thing though: I'll sure be ready if there's ever another update 

J. Neidick

On 24/03/2017 at 9:10 PM, overspeed3 said:

Iv'e had many problems with Win10 since I got a new gaming rig with it pre-installed (licensed to the PC build company ) and had to give up Win 7...                            

If you know what to do then buy another HD and a copy of Win 7 and create a dual boot system. That way you have the best of both.

Okay to those experiencing update issues or with the OC not wanting to start, can I suggest that you COMPLETELY TURN OFF YOUR UAC until the updates are complete.

Like others, I recently experienced the issue of the OC not wanting to start, missing msvcr100.dll etc, and on a whim, instead of running the OC on Administrator, which didn't do the trick, I simply switched off UAC only for the update and then turned it back on, did the trick for me.   

I tried Windows 10, but it slowed up a number of things on my system - I moved back to Windows 7 and then had the issue of the OC not starting, so as I said, just a suggestion but it does seem to have some merits to it...

Regards

There is definitely an annoying problem with the update.

Took me 5 tries for it to finally complete the upgrade (downloading a heap of files on each try).

Since the window closed while I was not watching it I wasn't sure if it completed or not since the Operations centre was telling me it was still the old version.

Finally on the 5th try I had to watch it like a hawk and it finally downloaded all 65 files (took about 25 minutes).

The cmd window closing and then no acknowledgement that the update has completed successfully is another problem imho.

Have spent the better part of the morning trying to get this to update.

Look forward to the design being improved in the future as mentioned in this thread.

So Paul, did the update eventually work?

spacer.png

10 hours ago, PaulFWatts said:

Since the window closed while I was not watching it I wasn't sure if it completed or not since the Operations centre was telling me it was still the old version.

There's a log file that we could've directed you to, had you asked.

The cmd window closing and then no acknowledgement that the update has completed successfully is another problem imho.

This is not a problem. It's supposed to do this because it's really only meant to show progress while it's running. After the program is finished with its function, it should close and get back out of the way. All the important info (without all the weird display issues of the cmd window), is in the log file.

Look forward to the design being improved in the future as mentioned in this thread.

As mentioned in this thread, there are improvements already in the works.

All the same, the issues you're having are not specific to the updater; they're specific either to interference by your anti-virus program, or your connection. We're working on ways to mirror our files further out in the AWS system to increase speeds to various areas (even if you have a fast connection to the internet in general, you can still have a slow connection to a server).

Kyle Rodgers

11 hours ago, Boomer said:

So Paul, did the update eventually work?

Yes, on the 5th try.

15 hours ago, ckaratr said:

I've trying for 5 days and last 2 hours. No success..

Did it in the 25th try..

Thats as far as I get every time

Image134.png

re downloading the v3 QOSII  installer will give me the most upto date version or  even downloading the exe file wont matter because I will have to try again with this update?????

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

2 hours ago, jeansy said:

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait for the Command Prompt Window (black) to close by itself. Update 1 is big one and will take some time;.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:08 AM, jeansy said:

Note the file size of every file above the one that it "stops at," and then look at the file size of the one where the update "stops" (where it's not actually stopping). You're downloading a relatively large file. Unless you have quick connection to our Amazon server, it will take a while.

...and being in OZ, that will take a while. Let it run.

We're working on getting our files distributed further out on the AWS network to increase speeds. For now, being in Australia is going to slow things down.

Kyle Rodgers