rsrandazzo

[13MAR17] [UPDATED] Faults when running the Operations Center and/or the OC based Product Updaters AND WHAT TO DO...

49 posts in this topic

Kyle

I, for one, always appreciate your suggestions and suppositions. 

However, I live in South Florida, which is not exactly the hinterlands, and very seldom have problems with downloads.

Each time (at least 12) I tried to update via the Operation Center, it sped thought the download, and a command window opened:  It indicated that 2 items were updated and completed.  Then everything ceased. I waited at least 3 or 5 minutes several times. Then gave up. Nothing, it seemed, was happening. (I know now that I was too hasty to give up).  That’s when I posted the my lack of success with the update.  It was then that a fellow simmer suggested that it might be a very long process.  So I tried again. The command window did not resume updating for at least 6 or 7 long minutes:  The whole process took more than 25 minutes to complete the update.  But, success at last!    

I believe, only a theory, that Windows 10 may be the culprit in this case.  When you turn off virus protection and /or the firewall, Windows 10 Defender tries or does turn-back on automatically - this could be what slowed-down the process so substantially.  Perhaps it monitors activity in the command lines more closely, thus slowing down the update. (A side note: Some of the first Win 10 unstoppable updates me caused a bunch of problems in the beginning with FS).

But if there is a second QOTS  update, I will be well prepared to sit and wait.

So thanks again Kyle, et al, for trying to resolve all the problems we have with this obsessive hobby...

Jerry Neidick  

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 hour ago, overspeed3 said:

I believe, only a theory, that Windows 10 may be the culprit in this case.  When you turn off virus protection and /or the firewall, Windows 10 Defender tries or does turn-back on automatically - this could be what slowed-down the process so substantially.  Perhaps it monitors activity in the command lines more closely, thus slowing down the update. (A side note: Some of the first Win 10 unstoppable updates me caused a bunch of problems in the beginning with FS).

I can safely say that theory is incorrect, as I run Windows 10 and did not have this issue.

Capt K.

Iv'e had many problems with Win10 since I got a new gaming rig with it pre-installed (licensed to the PC build company ) and had to give up Win 7...

But again, it's only a theory: Who knows?  But aren't there are a bunch of others out there with update problems?  One thing though: I'll sure be ready if there's ever another update 

J. Neidick

On 24/03/2017 at 9:10 PM, overspeed3 said:

Iv'e had many problems with Win10 since I got a new gaming rig with it pre-installed (licensed to the PC build company ) and had to give up Win 7...                            

If you know what to do then buy another HD and a copy of Win 7 and create a dual boot system. That way you have the best of both.