Sign in to follow this  
spilok

ICON A5 request again and again

I've written about this on this forum in the past....ah, but to no avail.  If I were a talented developer, I would do it myself.  What?  Produce a beautifully designed, superb flying, and realistically-cockpitted ICON A5. This is one of the coolest easiest to fly planes in the world.  Supposedly it would take only 30 hours or so to learn how to fly the ICON.  I love the versatility of this aircraft (land and water), and I think it would be great fun to fly it.  I read a very interesting article on the plane today in USA TODAY newspaper.

http://usat.ly/2mBNAiH

There is a version of this aircraft out there on some sites, but it is a weak, unrealistic plane that really isn't the quality we all look for today.  I CERTAINLY would be willing to pay for an excellent version of the A5. 

Hopefully, some company or some talented developer will produce such an interesting aircraft.

Stan

I guess till then there is always Microsoft Flight.  As real as it gets....

:laugh::laugh:

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

I'd be almost willing to investigate purchasing the real thing thing but it looks like the company is in a bit of a turmoil with production issues other things.  Plus they have some onerous owner's contract that seems to have been partially addressed but still rigid.  Looks like an incredibly fun plane to fly and the water aspect is a huge bonus.

Ilya

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

22 hours ago, Penz said:

There is a great freeware version for P3D at https://www.classicwings.net/aircraft--i-. Superb exterior as well as interior (VC).

Sadly, that doesn't help the FSX situation, sorry.

It is easily possible to get this Icon working in FSX! Simply edit the Model.cfg file to use the A5_interior_old.MDL file instead of the P3D only A5_interior.MDL file... :gaul:

uOMCv.jpg

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Haha, I was just about to post the same thing, thank you Bill! :)

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

It's a really lovely model but the flying characteristics are "interesting," to say the least.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Agreed Ryan. Can't get it to slow down and go down. Also, seems it has flaps but there is no visual of them. The production model of the A5 has had flaps removed. 

Also can't get water rudder to work. Makes it unusable in the water. 

Would love to see this updated! 

Eddie
KABQ

It may well be that these issues were fixed - but only in the P3D version. I don't know because I haven't had time to try it yet.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So I delete the A5_interior MDL file?  That's it?

I tried that and FSX crashed saying it needed SmartAssembly.

Sorry.  Being dumb.   I EDITED the MDL file to indicate the OLD reference.   Works great!  Thank you.  Actually quite a nice plane.

Stan

On ‎19‎-‎03‎-‎2017 at 1:11 PM, ryanbatcund said:

It's a really lovely model but the flying characteristics are "interesting," to say the least.

I am not a pilot, so I would know nothing about the authenticity of the flight model, I am just happy that I can take off and land on water and ground. :laugh: Do agree that the aircraft responds differently than I would expect in some respects. It's still a pretty beautiful model though, internally as well as externally, with nice animations as well (wing fold, canopy and such).

Icon_A5_zpsatezzjso.jpg

Maybe it could be an idea to try and swap in the flight model from the "old" aircraft Stan mentioned in the OP?

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen