Sign in to follow this  
Paraffin

Options to adjust the haze layer?

51 minutes ago, Jimm said:

Just a tidbit of information, concerning our friend haze:

http://questions.x-plane.com/8328/the-haze-fog-is-back

Now that's interesting. I'm all for anything that better approximates reality, but we all know that there's no such thing as one universal amount of haze in the air under all weather conditions, and all over the world. Beijing and the Altiplano of Peru aren't equivalent conditions.

It will be very disappointing if Laminar is locking this off, so it can't be tweaked by users even as a dataref. I'm still amazed that this isn't directly under our control in the weather menu, where changing the visibility slider just isn't doing what one would expect.

Well, there's still more betas to go until we get a RC and final release, so there's still hope they'll either reduce the haze universally, or give us better control over it. I did file my screen shots as a bug report with attachments, so I've done what I could.

Just for giggles, last evening after I posted my shots of the KSAN area, I tooled up sunny California to visit KBAB, and attempted to replicate Parafin's predicament (sounds like the title of a western), and I did in fact see an increase in haze, but so much further out away from KBAB than what he had showed.  now, I am not disputing his claims, nor am I disputing the screenshots.  After posting my initial findings, I started to look into the whole haze generation thing, factoring temperature in, and there appeared to be a distinct difference between the two areas, even though bother were specified as CAVOK in the weather settings.  I do wonder if it's was possible for LR to include temperature as factor in determining haze amounts.

Since it looks (from the above link) that they're applying an algorithm here, there might be something related to temps. IIRC, the ambient temp at that airport was around 65 F when I did the screen shots. 

Altitude might also be a factor, but it doesn't explain why our results were different. I just continued that flight from KBAB at basically sea level to O05 (Rogers Field) up in the mountains at 4500 ft. I had viz set to 20 miles, and the haze when landing at that airport seemed less than the 20 mile setting at seal level for KBAB. Maybe a bunch of variables here?

Regardless, when the viz slider is set to 10 miles, I still expect to pick up the runway at 10 miles regardless of temps or altitude. A METAR is a METAR, not something the sim should ignore because it's capable of doing a cool haze effect.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

Now that's interesting. I'm all for anything that better approximates reality, but we all know that there's no such thing as one universal amount of haze in the air under all weather conditions, and all over the world. Beijing and the Altiplano of Peru aren't equivalent conditions.

It will be very disappointing if Laminar is locking this off, so it can't be tweaked by users even as a dataref. I'm still amazed that this isn't directly under our control in the weather menu, where changing the visibility slider just isn't doing what one would expect.

Well, there's still more betas to go until we get a RC and final release, so there's still hope they'll either reduce the haze universally, or give us better control over it. I did file my screen shots as a bug report with attachments, so I've done what I could.

Since it looks (from the above link) that they're applying an algorithm here, there might be something related to temps. IIRC, the ambient temp at that airport was around 65 F when I did the screen shots. 

Altitude might also be a factor, but it doesn't explain why our results were different. I just continued that flight from KBAB at basically sea level to O05 (Rogers Field) up in the mountains at 4500 ft. I had viz set to 20 miles, and the haze when landing at that airport seemed less than the 20 mile setting at seal level for KBAB. Maybe a bunch of variables here?

Regardless, when the viz slider is set to 10 miles, I still expect to pick up the runway at 10 miles regardless of temps or altitude. A METAR is a METAR, not something the sim should ignore because it's capable of doing a cool haze effect.

Well I feel about the same about the haze, I don't find it cool, and while it's ncie to have a realistic environment, I too think it's odd that they would lock it down...unless they have something in the works.  As you say, there are plenty of betas left, or as I see it, more testing in the works.  Since the improvement of the clouds, I am eagerly awaiting more improvements...exciting times ahead.

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

48 minutes ago, Sebjo89 said:

This method has been around for a while now, and I believe a lot of us have tried this method too, but with each new beta that has been released, LR has been locking certain datarefs, more specifically, ones that have more direct control over the haze layer.  At one point, I had about ten or so datarefs adjusted, compiled in a Lua script, which worked for a beta or two, but then would cause Lua to stop.  The log file showed why, and it was certain datarefs being locked.

The link I provided earlier addressed the primary dataref that LR locked, and it's unknown whether it'll get freed again for us to make the changes to the haze. It should also be noted that the videos you references adjust haze, but won't eliminate it, so we're still investigating what we can do.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit