Sign in to follow this  
Freaknout

Licensing for FSX and FSX SE

Hi all

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but does the licensing for the 747QOTSv3 allow for an FSX installation on a PC and an FSX SE installation on a laptop? I expect not, but would like clarification.

Additionally, I can legally install FSX SE on 2 individual PC's, using only one at a time. Can I install 747QOTSv3 into both installations, only using one at a time?

Many thanks,

Jay

Jason Jackett

Hi,

I don't have access to my sil computer for now but I believe that the EULA does allow to install the 747 up to two computers.
But you can check it in the EULA file that comes with the addon.

• Upvote 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

7 hours ago, Freaknout said:

Additionally, I can legally install FSX SE on 2 individual PC's, using only one at a time. Can I install 747QOTSv3 into both installations, only using one at a time?

FSX and FSX:SE are considered the same platform from the point of view of the license. Two PCs owned by you for your own personal use.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

Normally the EULA is fairly clear on the matter for pretty much any software you buy, in fact the acronym itself (EULA) makes that obvious when you think about it, as in End User (i.e. singular, not users) License Agreement.

That's true as a general rule with most software; i.e. you are buying a single license for you personally to use. Which means it is normally okay to install your software on a few machines (typically two in most EULAs, but sometimes three if the software is capable of being used for example, on a desktop, a laptop and a tablet, since it is quite conceivable for one person to have all three of those devices which they use personally, and generally speaking, not at the same time).

If the software in question happened to be something you could use simultaneously with another machine also running it, then you do normally need multiple licenses; for example, it is possible to network multiple computers to harness multiple processor power when rendering - that sort of thing is done with a lot of video editing, SFX and 3D programs when outputting high-end CGI for movies - so you need multiple licenses for doing that kind of thing, because all of the networked machines have to have the software installed on them individually. That is why I have to pay thousands of quid in license fees to Adobe and Apple every year, in order to have numerous instances of software such as Photoshop, Final Cut X etc running on multiple machines in my training centre. It'd be great if I didn't have to cough up that cash I can tell you! But companies such as Apple and Adobe aren't stupid, in fact, if you try and crank up more than a couple of copies of the same subscription number license of things such as Photoshop CC these days, it tells you to quit the application or log one of the other machines off it before it will let you continue to run it on the additional machine, so I have to have 20 subscription licences for all that stuff!

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks for your help folks. Looks like a great solution for me for the downtime on holiday. Not sure my wife will feel the same 😄

Jason Jackett

Jason,

If you run into trouble, you can always RETURN a license by going into the FMS, looking under the OPTIONS menus and selecting LICENSE.  Select the deactivate (or return, i forget what it says off the top of my head) and it will check your license back in at our home server.

You can then check it back out as you see fit.

As always- if you run into trouble and trip up the license protection- don't sweat it.  Just head over to support and tell them what you did and we'll get you up and running in no time.  We can see your license installation history so it is normally not a big deal at all if you trip up now and then.

• Upvote 1

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Thanks Robert

Nice solution.

Does the NGX and MD11 have this feature, it'd be nice to take the whole PMDG arsenal with me. Actually, I don't think the MD11 supports FSX SE does it?

kind regards

Jay

Jason Jackett

IIRC MD-11 supports FSX:SE (tentatively) but is not supported by PMDG anymore, and in any case, I don't think it had this same kind of online managed license.

The NGX is also officially OK to use on 2 of your own PCs, but doesn't (or didn't previously) have the de-activation functionality.

• Upvote 1