Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

P3D V3 search path for Gauge Files

This may already have been answered,  but as an FSX user,  I am not very familiar with the P3D layout.

My question is:  Is there a predictable search hierarchy for Gauges referenced in the panel.cfg file?

In FSX, the search starts in the panel folder, and if not found, goes to the FSX\Gauges folder.

Also, folders take precedence over cab files in the search.

As I publish gauge fix updates for Carenado aircraft (PC12 V2 latest example), I tend to package

the replacement gauges as xml files in folders that are placed in subfolders to the panel folder.

In FSX, that works nicely.. the replacement xml file is used and merged with whatever other (bmp files

as an example) that the gauge may need, found in the original cab files in the \Gauges folder.

Some P3D V3 users tell me that some of my mods are not active, which leads me to believe that

P3D has loaded the original xml files, instead of my replacement files.

I can work around that by changing the name of the xml file, so that P3D has no choice but

to load the new file.. which also forces a change in the panel.cfg file to match.

A lot of effort to accommodate P3D V3 users.. and without really understanding what went

wrong in the first place.

Does anyone have some experience with this, and is there a better (simpler) way?

Hope someone can help  :cool:

Bert

I don't know the order but for any of your mods I've had to unzip the cab, insert the edited file and repack the cab, and leave the entire thing in the root gauges folder.  It will NOT work in the aircraft's panel folder.

Wheres Bill when you need him?  I bet he would know for certain.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

In Prepar3D v3 it searches in the Gauges folder first.  I do not know why they switched it, but they did.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

And you were the other guy I figured would know :)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, WarpD said:

In Prepar3D v3 it searches in the Gauges folder first.  I do not know why they switched it, but they did.

Aha!  That would explain it..

In that case my renaming strategy is likely the best way forward  :huh:

Bert

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

I don't know the order but for any of your mods I've had to unzip the cab, insert the edited file and repack the cab, and leave the entire thing in the root gauges folder.  It will NOT work in the aircraft's panel folder.

Wheres Bill when you need him?  I bet he would know for certain.

Ryan, based on what I've found out in the last few days, renaming the xml file(s), but leaving the folder name(s) intact, will also do the trick.. and would be less work on your part..

Bert

I'm not sure I follow.  For example I have a cab file in my root Gauges folder, it's for the Alabeo Saratoga TC.  It's called DIGTTRANS_PA32TC.CAB.

If I wanted to mod a file inside of that I'd need to extract them, edit the file, and repack them.  How would you do it?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Extract the file

Edit the file

Create a subfolder in your panel folder with the name of the cab file

Insert the file with a changed name into this folder  (for example add a "2" in front of it)

Edit the panel.cfg file to call the new gauge file name

This may not seem like much of a simplification, except for if you want to

share your mod with someone else.  Now you can send the new subfolder(s)/panel.cfg file

with no need to go back to the Gauges folder.

Bert