Sign in to follow this  
Real2Sim

TCAS with VATSIM

Hello Reality XP team, first I want to thank you for all your amazing work. I just want to ask you if you can make the TCAS of the GTNs working with VATSIM (and IVAO) ? 

Thanks a lot 

Hi Andrea and thank you for your kind words! The TCAS is working in just reading standard multiplayer datarefs, and should pick it up. However, a customer has reported it is not working with PIlotEdge and we're in contact with Keith about this.

Are you flying XP11 or XP10? 

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I'm still investigating with Keith (PilotEdge) about this.

I suspect the issue is related whichever network you fly with (PE or VATSIM).

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Thanks for the answer ! I noticed something with the transponder. When you change the mode (Standby and ALT) via xSquawkBox it change the mode also in the GTN but if I change the mode in the GTN that doesn't change the mode on xSquawkBox.

Another question, Is it possible to add charts with a charts.zip like for the flightplans with the flightplans.zip located in "C:\ProgramData\Reality XP\Common\GtnTrainer" ? And the weather radar or at least the metar in the airport info will be available in a future update ?

For the XPDR, I'd suspect xSquawkBox believes it is the only plugin capable of changing the XPDR and does not bother to synchronize changes both ways, unlike our GTN. There is nothing that can be done but the developers to re-implement the XPDR part as a bi-directional synchronization.

As for the charts, there might be something possible along the lines of the flight plan import feature, but we are too focused working not he FS-SEX9 P3D version for now to investigate. 

I'll keep your suggestions in our list though!

Hi.. Just bought the GTN 750, but dont get any traffic on VATSIM ?

Any progress on this issue ?

Tom Stian Bjerk

It has been reported on the PE forum to set the XPlane AI traffic number to the number of aircraft you'd like to display first, then, when flying online, the slots will get populated and displayed on the GTN.

Now, it was a message roughly 6-9 months ago and we've made changes since then in the code, but haven't got any feedback whatsoever.

When you are asking for any progress, do you mean you still don't have any target displayed with the latest GTN version (2.4.12), or, you are just enquiring prior trying?

15 hours ago, RXP said:

When you are asking for any progress, do you mean you still don't have any target displayed with the latest GTN version (2.4.12), or, you are just enquiring prior trying?

Hello

I have bought and installed the latest GTN version. 

And tried it with latest version of xSquawkbox and X-Plane 11.11r2. But I dont see any traffic. 

The TCAS/Traffic working flawless with other aircrafts with TCAS. So its isolated to the GTN as I see it.

Tom Stian Bjerk

Hello again

It worked to add some AI planes.. I can now see traffic on VATSIM.. But this is not needed on other aircraft I fly.

Have a nice weekend :=)

Tom Stian Bjerk

32 minutes ago, Wizball said:

But this is not needed on other aircraft I fly.

This might not be needed only because of the XPlane SDK. In effect, there is an SDK function so that a plugin knows how many AI aircraft are there. You can see it works with XPlane Traffic.

However, if 3rd party traffic programs like PE or VATSIM don't tell XPlane how many aircraft they inject, 3rd party plugins won't know how many there are either, because the SDK function returns 0 then.

Now the question: are 3rd party traffic programs not telling XPlane how many aircraft they inject because they forget to do it, or, because the same SDK does not offer the means for them to do so?

Bonus question: are other aircraft showing VATSIM traffic because they assume the entire '20' XPlane AI available slots might be occupied, and display the 20 targets regardless of the actual count the SDK reports, thus in effect taking the risk of displaying targets with random data from unused slots?

A quick study tells us the actual count is not updated, and there is no guarantee unused slots are not 'cleared' of any bogus data (even more so there is no 'invalid' data to clear with, 0,0 means lat0,lon0 which is a valid coordinate).

So unless 3rd party traffic programs are clear in their docs/interface what exactly they do to the 20 slots, we have to assume anything not reported by the SDK is bogus, hence for, we use the SDK function to know how many aircraft there are.

I see.. and thanks for your answer.. X-Plane really need some overhaul on the multiplayer part. :)

6 minutes ago, RXP said:

A quick study tells us the actual count is not updated, and there is no guarantee unused slots are not 'cleared' of any bogus data (even more so there is no 'invalid' data to clear with, 0,0 means lat0,lon0 which is a valid coordinate).

I am using a LUA script that I made for some time a go that are exaclty doing what you describe.

I made this because on some addons the TCAS targets got stuck on the ND. So I simply made a script that are resetting all the multiplayer datarefs (OpenGL coordinates x,y,z) from plane 1 to 19 every 10th seconds to "clear" unused slots. I know it can have some side effects since the target is "still out there".  But its been working very well for the aircrafts with the stuck targets.

Active slots are not gettings resetted because they are read-only (I guess)

Tom Stian Bjerk

I see you understand the SDK! 

Here is what we do prior looking up the AI datarefs:

int outTotalAircraft = 0;
    int outActiveAircraft = 0;
    XPLMPluginID outController = 0;
    XPLMCountAircraft(&outTotalAircraft, &outActiveAircraft, &outController);

// externally controlled AI, use totalAircraft instead.
    outActiveAircraft = outController >= 0 ? outTotalAircraft : outActiveAircraft;

It either take number of active aircrafts if AI, or number of aircraft if AI is managed by 3rd party plugin. I'm not sure how the best 3rd party plugins tell XPlane how many they manage, or even if this SDK function works properly in XP11/10/9 (bug?)

I'm open to any other suitable/working code logic for this though!

Could you simply ignore counting the active aircrafts and just read all the multiplayer datarefs (1 to 19)?

And then you could ignore datarefs with static values and only proccess the datarefs that are active/changing value.

Tom Stian Bjerk