Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Steam purchace?

Is there any advantage to buying this from Steam? X10 Steam versions did not get the small updates but I think that has changed.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I was tempted to go that route last year, but felt that going through the source would be more convenient and as you pointed out, getting updates would theoretically be quicker.

Funny you bring this up because I watch a lot of YouTube vids from other users who use X-Plane 10 through Steam and it seems unstable a lot, but I may be wrong.  Since I have used both 10 and 11 (standalone installs), the only crashes I experienced was from my own error and not due to stability from the core program.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

The versions that aren't available on Steam aren't "small updates," they're beta versions of new updates coming online, which you can only get with a direct (non-Steam) purchase.

In the past, those post-release betas have been something like 85% good stuff to have -- especially previews of major new features -- and 15% where a beta broke something significant, and I needed to bail out and revert to the official current release version. Just FYI.

If you want access to those betas, you need to buy direct. As far as I know this isn't changing for XP11, probably because Laminar wants just one bug report channel via their web site and not via Steam. Someone correct me if that's being changed for XP11.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Thanks just bought direct.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

5 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Thanks just bought direct.

Welcome to the dark side. :gaul:

Enjoy yourself, it's a lot to take in but you'll have fun, and it's all about that, right?

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Welcome!  :gaul:

By the way, once XP11 goes final, it's much easier to try a beta version and revert back to the current official version if you don't like the beta. It's not like the current XP11 pre-release betas, where you have to save your old versions to roll back. You can just run the installer again and tell it not to use a beta.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Thanks, I do have x10 and even made some small local airports for it but was on the fence about 11. 11 just looks so much nicer so I had to go for it. 

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Just now, warbirds said:

Thanks, I do have x10 and even made some small local airports for it but was on the fence about 11. 11 just looks so much nicer so I had to go for it. 

Aside from the pitfalls along the way, it has a noticeable improvement.  Have you downloaded AIPilot's HD Mesh yet?  This is a must have, because it makes a huge improvement to the mesh scenery.

5 hours ago, Jimm said:

Funny you bring this up because I watch a lot of YouTube vids from other users who use X-Plane 10 through Steam and it seems unstable a lot, but I may be wrong.

I regularly use XP10 through Steam (I guess I own two copies now, due to the XP11 beta), and I can safely say that I've never had a crash that wasn't caused by an addon. Stable as a rock, on both my desktop and my laptop.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.