Sign in to follow this  
pilottj

lower lobe airflow rate for pax?

Hey guys,

Thanks for adding the lower lob flow rate dial to the Freighter with this latest round of updates.  Is there a Low-Hi selector for the Pax version as well?  Is it in a different location? 

Beancounter airlines is getting their pants sued off because passenger's pets are freezing. :biggrin: 

Cheers

TJ

I've just discovered a couple of variations in this area. I have some old KLM training notes which shows the controls for cargo airconditioning flow rate and temperature on a panel in the forward cargo. On the other hand, Lufthansa have both controls on the overhead panels on the flight deck; The temperature control is on the normal aircon panel and the flow rate control is on the maintenance panel (where the Freighter control is).

Hope this helps

Cheers

JHW

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

P.S. If you Google "Lufthansa 747-400 panorama", it will take you to a 360degree flight deck view. You might just be able to see the additional knobs.

Just looked at the Panorama, that is quite fascinating.  Thanks for the info.  Hopefully PMDG can make it an optional thing with the overhead flow rate knob.  I am sure different airlines had different policies on that.  If I were the pilot, I would want the control in the cockpit, so if there was a malfunction of that system during flight, it could be troubleshooted.  

Oh well, its not a big deal in the virtual Queen, but I find myself paying a lot more attention to environmental controls in my all virtual aircraft, so it's very nice to have all the necessary controls simulated, even if they are just dummy switches.  

Cheers

TJ

1 hour ago, pilottj said:

I would want the control in the cockpit, so if there was a malfunction of that system during flight, it could be troubleshooted.

I was just thinking the same thing. I guess you have some manual control e.g. a specific pack feeds a specific (forward/aft) lower lobe cargo area. You can always switch off that particular pack. The automatics probably take care of the rest.

You may have noticed that you can't select both forward and aft Lower Lobe Cargo aircon rates to high... the packs simply don't have enough capacity to supply sufficient air to do this (as well as feed the cabin). If packs start to fail, I'm sure the aircraft logic logic would have some way of prioritizing the airflow  (Passenger comfort/survival has to come before pets and perishable foodstuffs). Sorry.. at the moment I'm too lazy to read my manuals to find out :blush:

During fires, of course, you have control over the valves which feed conditioned air into these areas.