Sign in to follow this  
BrianT

Activity Streams

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but on other sites using this web software there is an option to save your own activity stream allowing you to select individual topics and therefore filter the list of items in the stream. Is this something the team are looking to add or am I missing something obvious? 

Capture2_zpsvx9skpzd.png

Capture_zpsglfh5ts2.png

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

Yes, just click on the appropriate dropdown menus, hit the F5 key to refresh the page after you are completed and you should see the activity streaming below. 

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the reply Jim but maybe I did explain myself properly. other forums have the option to create your own stream. on the two screen grabs I attached to the op you can see that there is a tab called "Activity" with a drop down of "My Activity Streams" in there I have one called "Brian New" which has only the topics in it that I am interested in and shows me only unread material since my last visit. This is saved as my default stream and whenever I open the forum all my settings are preserved. 

The "unread Content" stream that is the default does not save the selected topics when you leave the forum and return.

I hope that explains it a little better 

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

We cannot do that here or at least I have no idea how to do it.  Maybe you can go to those sites and ask them how they did it and let us know.  Sounds like you are trying to make our site very, very complicated for our users.  Right now we are working at some upgrades to the site.  From what I have seen, the IPS Community Suite is a basic website.  Like new cars, if you want fancy tires or windows or a bigger engine, you have to buy the upgrade.  I'm positive that's what the other site did.  Bought the upgrade to allow users to do what you recommend.  Right now we are being nickeled and dimed with upgrades.  Like prefixes.  You want something different that the basic, you pay a bit more for it.  Most add-ons are $50 or less.  In a way I think it is great for those who develop add-ons for sites and IPS Suites is not making all of the money.

I think we will eventually bring back the "Topics I have Participated in" and "Recently Discussed Topics" but they require beta testing before we can release those add-ons.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I simply asked if it was being looked into. I'm not trying to make anything complicated for anybody. I think more likely you have not understood what I was asking.

Not to worry I wont trouble you further with asking complicated questions. sorry to be such a burden.

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

No problem.  Obviously we are not looking into it.  Sorry I'm not as smart as you thought and could not answer your complicated question(s).  I'm visiting my doctor this afternoon for a semi-annual checkup and will bring your comment to his attention.  Like your dummy plastic air-filled auto-pilot you are using as an Avatar!  Hopefully one day, we will have a site that meets 'your' expectations.

Submit News to AVSIM

I believe I follow what the OP is trying to explain, but for any of that to happen now, it takes a healthy donation from the public.  These folks at AVSIM, work tireless hours to bring this site to you each and every day.  Rising costs for bandwidth, storage, setup and usage is a forgiver of no one.  Let us not forget that AVSIM is a free site and will continue as such, so whatever the powers that be decide upon, then this is the direct result.  In order for them the incorporate more fancy features requires more time and effort, not to mention cold hard cash.  AVSIM doesn't throw it in your face or guilt trip you into giving, but it would be the least we can do, as a community to support the site by giving whatever you can.  Every little bit helps and if you notice the right panel of your screen, there is a donation goal.  That amount is no joke and definitely not a number they picked out of the air.  Quite honestly, I have to wonder where they make up the costs, if they don't make their yearly goal, but as I said, donating to the site can only bring more of a good thing.

If you are not in the position to donate, that is understandable, but realize that the least you can do is respect the team and what they've provided with what they have right now.  If there is to be a guilt trip to be had, think about this: you are member here to glean knowledge from others to help you out with flight simming, and at the same time, you can plop down a hefty amount of cash for the latest scenery or aircraft, so why not kick a few bucks towards the site that has helped you out along the way? :biggrin:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I asked a simple question "is this something the team are looking into. a simple No would have sufficed. Jim's response was that I was trying to make the site "Very Very" complicated for all of it's users, and that he has no idea how to do it!. I didn't think for once that Jim was/is the person making the changes but he chose to reply.

I find the inference that all the users would find it complicated a little insulting to all the users who probably use the same software on other forums. 

Not to worry I now understand that asking questions is a touchy subject and I won't bother again.

JIMM "but realize that the least you can do is respect the team and what they've provided with"

I'm not sure how I disrespected the team. If my comment about asking complicated questions is deemed disrespectful then I apologies but respect is a two way street and digging me out for asking a question is hardly respectful.

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

1 minute ago, BrianT said:

I asked a simple question "is this something the team are looking into. a simple No would have sufficed. Jim's response was that I was trying to make the site "Very Very" complicated for all of it's users, and that he has no idea how to do it!. I didn't think for once that Jim was/is the person making the changes but he chose to reply.

I find the inference that all the users would find it complicated a little insulting to all the users who probably use the same software on other forums. 

Not to worry I now understand that asking questions is a touchy subject and I won't bother again.

JIMM "but realize that the least you can do is respect the team and what they've provided with"

I'm not sure how I disrespected the team. If my comment about asking complicated questions is deemed disrespectful then I apologies but respect is a two way street and digging me out for asking a question is hardly respectful.

Well I apologize if my comment seemed disrespectful, but considering that the top admin of AVSIM came out and explained things to you and you chose to continue the discussion, it couldn't be helped that others may come here to voice their own opinion.  This site's new upgrades have been discussed quite a lot lately, with mixed reactions, but at the end of the day, AVSIM decides how to proceed and so far, they haven't waivered from their path.  I am sure they are always open to suggestions, but when you start making statements like "well that's how X website did it" or "this is what I have seen elsewhere" in a condescending tone, you have to expect someone would react.

Btw, I never pointed the finger directly at you saying that you disrespected the team.  It was a generalized statement, nothing more so think before you type. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Jimm I have made no comment on the sites upgrades good or bad nor have I questioned how they choose to progress. Neither did I say "well that's how X website did it" I merely mentioned that on other forums using the same IPB software this option is available and is it something the team are looking at.

"I am sure they are always open to suggestions, but when you start making statements like "well that's how X website did it" or "this is what I have seen elsewhere" in a condescending tone, you have to expect someone would react."

you can detect tone in a forum post? Seriously!

I now know the answer to my original question is no, and I'll not bother responding further. 

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png