Sign in to follow this  
wombat457

QNH call out issue

On a recent flight I was directed to descend to 5800 QNH 1007 which I did and my instruments confirmed the altitude and baro reading to be correct.  RC though kept telling (rather aggressively at that) that I was at the wrong altitude. Despite being at the correct alt and baro RC refused to believe it.  In the end, I closed RC to get rid of the annoyance and, to be honest arrogance of the controller.

As such, is there a way to turn off QNH call outs from RC as can be done in other ATC programs?  The only issues I have is when QNH is used otherwise everything is fine.

Being instructed to descend to 5800 is a very unusual altitude. Are you certain it was that? I would have expected a whole number such as 6000, 7000 etc.

If you're cleared to an altitude then yes, you must dial the QNH into the altimeter. If you were cleared to a flight level then you stay on standard pressure. Apologies if you already know this but it is an unusual situation.

Where were you flying to and how far out of that airport was that instruction issued? By enroute controller or approach once you were 40nm out?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

Thank you for the reply and I couldn't agree more, being directed down to 5800 and then 4800 after that is definitely strange but that was the instruction.

I was flying from Frankfurt to Athens (EDDL - LGAV) and all I can't recall how far out I was but the first call (5800) was issued by the en route controller and the 4800 altitude was issued by Athens Approach.

I don't know if this will help at all but I was flying an SMS Overland 737-700 and when I descended to 5800 and then 4800 my instruments confirmed that I was at those altitudes and my Baro reading was the called 1007 without my having to "manually input" the baro reading of 1007.  As such, I believed that I had complied with controllers instructions and hence the issue.  I even tried the "old" hit the "B Key" for adjustments but that did nothing.

I have never come across this before in almost 15 years of flying so I do agree 100% with you - it is a strange issue.

Cheers,

wombat457

Hi wombat,

Clearly you're no beginner so it's a strange one. I have flown into LGAV many times and don't recall getting those descent altitudes.

Try again and my guess is it will be fine. That B key thing only works if the TA is 18000 ft.

It's with approach as you were cleared lower than FL110/120.

One thing you could check is you haven't changed the deviation values. If you have then even being 20ft too high or low could leave RC unhappy

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

Thanks mate and to be honest, I haven't made any changes to RC's setup; that being said, it is possible they may have been altered in some way.

Your also correct when you say I am no beginner; however, I am when it comes to RC and am more than happy to admit my limitations of knowledge in this area.  Right now, the deviations listed are as follows:

Heading = 15 degree's (I take it that allows you a 15 degree deviation left and right from your assigned course)

Speed = 10 (pretty much as above)

Altitude = 300'  Again, I am assuming I am allowed to be 300' higher or lower than assigned.

I believe they are the "default settings" and assume I should leave them as is.

I'll fly the route again and take note of where and when the "problem occurs" if it occurs again.  As you suggested, it may have just been a glitch on that flight or maybe the controller hadn't had his morning coffee :)

Cheers,

wombat457

Hi wombat,

Yes, those are the default values so that's not the problem.

Try again but I'd be amazed if you get the same problem.  Check you have Jet selected as your aircraft type. That only affects a couple of things like approach speed and distance out you are cleared to intercept the localiser. Can't see that being the problem. Running out of ideas! :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

To answer your first question, no once on Approach you can't turn off QNH warnings. You do have the option to fly your own approach and will just be cleared down to the final approach altitude. No monitoring takes place. That's the next best thing.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

Mate, thanks for your time and input it's very much appreciated.  As mentioned, I'll fly t again and see what happens but will let you know the outcome one way or the other.

If all else fails, I'll try your suggestion re flying my own approach.  Honestly, I get a little peeved at ATC getting bent out of shape so that's what I do anyway.  Not exactly kosha but it relieves my aggravation :)

Cheers,

Wombat457

You'll be fine I'm sure. I fly Concorde and have to calculate my own deceleration and descent point. At FL580 or even higher it needs good arithmetical skills to get it right.

But RC does a good job instructing me to descend within 15-20nm of the actual point. But before Concorde can descend it has to slow down first so I 'cheat' and use option 9 then 3 to advice turbulence and that turns off the altitude watchdog. Once I start down I cancel it.

All good fun to keep you on your toes but I've not had the nagging from Approach like you so it has to be either a glitch or user error. :biggrin: I'll get my coat and exit rapidly. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

You do some serious flying then ... and flying at FL580, that is unimaginable in my "little" 737-700.  I might have to try that sometime me thinks!

I'd REALLY like to go with the "glitch train of thought" but have a strange feeling it maybe your "other option".  In that case, I might have to put a coat on standby as well :)

Thanks mate, whether this gets sorted out or not, it has been a pleasure brain storming the problem with you.

Cheers,

wombat457

• Upvote 1

Concorde can manage FL600 but only near the Equator where the troposphere is very cold. And usually close to the descent point when the aircraft has burnt off most of the 95,000Kg of fuel needed for the 4 hour hop from Heathrow to Barbados. :biggrin:

Love flying it. If you're interested it's the FS Labs Concorde. http://www.flightsimlabs.com/index.php/concorde-x/

Look forward to your next report probably when I wake up in 8-9 hours. Night! :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

Oh crap (whoops) forgot you were in the UK, sorry mate but thank you for the link I'll get it now and see how much damage I can do with it :)

Night mate,

wombat457

aka Tony