Sign in to follow this  
tobbeap

Routes

Dear aviation lovers,

My name is Tobias, and i am new to this forum and for that part to fsx too. Would anyone please recommend a nice route? 

Thanks,

T

What type of aircraft are flying and do you have preferences as to a geographical area?

A starting place might be the missions that come with FSX.  There are some scenic tours included.  It's a good way to start getting comfortable with the aircraft handling, performance, etc.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Hi T!

Welcome to the world of flight simulation and this forum :)

What airplane do you want to fly?

General aviation, airliner, or something else?

VFR or IFR?

How much time do you have for one flight? 1-2h? Longer?

Do you have a preferred country to fly in?

Regards,

Thomas

Nice route?  A 1 hour flight or longer?  What type of aircraft are you planning to use?  Are you

looking for a scenic, low-level route or high altitude route into a tough landing airport like Leeds-

Bradford with strong crosswinds?  You are going to have to provide some more info.  Welcome

aboard!:happy:  I see we are asking the same things!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi and welcome to Avsim. :cool:

Nice route? Depends on what you are flying, and how long you want to fly for really.

One I like doing, usually use to test airliners when doing reviews and such, is EGCC (Manchester, UK) to LEAM (Almeria, Spain). That's because it is long enough to enable you to get up to a high cruise altitude, and it takes you over some nice terrain, including the Pyrenees Mountain range between France and Spain, then on your descent it takes you down near to the Sierra Nevada mountain range in southern Spain. And since it also takes you near to the Bay of Biscay when en route, there is always the chance of some 'interesting' weather. It will take about two and a half hours in an average airliner, it being almost exactly 1,000 miles in distance, which means pretty much any airliner can make it..

For smaller aeroplanes, I like to fly from EGGP (Liverpool, UK) to LFPB (Le Bourget, France), since this is quite a common trip for GA aeroplanes coming from the UK onto the European continent and is long enough to get a GA aeroplane up high, but short enough not to make fuel/range a problem for smaller aeroplanes.

Another fun one if you like a bit of a longer flight, is from any destination in western Europe, over to ULAA (Talagi Archangelsk, Russia). The 518th Fighter Aviation Regiment is based at Talagi, so it is an airport with an interesting main runway which is 8,200 feet long (i.e. long enough for pretty much any aeroplane, including the MiG-31s which used to operate from there). The weather can be 'fun' there, i.e. expect snow and poor visibility.

All of the above airports have nice freeware scenery available for them (and there is also nice payware scenery for a few of them too). A google search will turn those up, some of which will be on the Avsim file library, however, you might have to look on Avsim.rus for the Talagi scenery of both the airport and the surrounding town and port with its oil terminals and shipping (note that site is nothing to do with this Avsim site, but it is worth a look because there is loads of cool free stuff there).

If you want some fun flying down valleys in a jet fighter or a helicopter, the Fjords in Scandanavia are fun, or the mountains and valleys near Geneva. If you like a challenge, try some of the airports in Columbia, some of which are at pretty high altitude. If you want a very tricky final approach, try flying into Toncontin in Honduras - you come real close to the hills on your curved descending final approach which has to be flown manually. Look online for the approach chart for it, you will need it! Here is an American Airlines B757 doing that one..

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 minutes ago, airernie said:

What type of aircraft are flying and do you have preferences as to a geographical area?

A starting place might be the missions that come with FSX.  There are some scenic tours included.  It's a good way to start getting comfortable with the aircraft handling, performance, etc.

Ernie

Hello Ernie,

I mainly fly PMDG 737-800WL. I have done most of the missions that is in the airline section.

T

6 minutes ago, Chock said:

Hi and welcome to Avsim. :cool:

Nice route? Depends on what you are flying, and how long you want to fly for really.

One I like doing, usually use to test airliners when doing reviews and such, is EGCC (Manchester, UK) to LEAM (Almeria, Spain). That's because it is long enough to enable you to get up to a high cruise altitude, and it takes you over some nice terrain, including the Pyrenees Mountain range between France and Spain, then on your descent it takes you down near to the Sierra Nevada mountain range in southern Spain. And since it also takes you near to the Bay of Biscay when en route, there is always the chance of some 'interesting' weather. It will take about two and a half hours inan average airliner, it being almost exactly 1,000 miles in distance, which means pretty much any airliner can make it..

For smaller aeroplanes, I like to fly from EGGP (Liverpool, UK) to LFPB (Le Bourget, France), since this is quite a common trip for GA aeroplanes coming from the UK onto the European continent and is long enough to get a GA aeroplane up high, but short enough not to make fuel/range a problem for smaller aeroplanes.

Another fun one if you like a bit of a longer flight, is from any destination in western Europe, over to ULAA (Talagi Archangelsk, Russia). The 518th Fighter Aviation Regiment is based at Talagi, so it is an airport with an interesting main runway which is 8,200 feet long (i.e. long enough for pretty much any aeroplane, including the MiG-31s which used to operate from there. The weather can be 'fun' there, i.e. expect snow and poor visibility.

All of the above airports have nice freeware scenery available for them (and there is also nice payware scenery for a few of them too). A google search will turn those up, some of which will be on the Avsim file library, however, you might have to look on Avsim.rus for the Talagi scenery of both the airport and the surrounding town and port with its oil terminals and shipping (note that site is nothing to do with this Avsim site, but it is worth a look because there is loads of cool free stuff there).

Hello Chock,

I will try out the EGCC - LEAM. Thank you for your time.

13 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Nice route?  A 1 hour flight or longer?  What type of aircraft are you planning to use?  Are you

looking for a scenic, low-level route or high altitude route into a tough landing airport like Leeds-

Bradford with strong crosswinds?  You are going to have to provide some more info.  Welcome

aboard!:happy:  I see we are asking the same things!

Hello Charlie.

Yeah, 1 hour is pretty perfect for my schedule. I like to fly high alt route (for the view haha).

Thank you for the time. ;)

25 minutes ago, ThomasAH said:

Hi T!

Welcome to the world of flight simulation and this forum :)

What airplane do you want to fly?

General aviation, airliner, or something else?

VFR or IFR?

How much time do you have for one flight? 1-2h? Longer?

Do you have a preferred country to fly in?

Regards,

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

I usually fly PMDG 737-800WL.

Airliner.

I do fly IFR.

Around 1 hour.

No, not yet.

Thanks for your time :-)

High altitude and about and hour.....Edinburgh, Scotland to Leeds-Bradford, UK and  get ready for a crazy crosswind landing.  I tend to like challenging landings, so places like St Maartens, Netherlands Antilles or Toncontin, Honduras Paro in Bhutan or if you fly a Twotter, check out Lukla for a definite challenge.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

2 minutes ago, charliearon said:

High altitude and about and hour.....Edinburgh, Scotland to Leeds-Bradford, UK and  get ready for a crazy crosswind landing.  I tend to like challenging landings, so places like St Maartens, Netherlands Antilles or Toncontin, Honduras Paro in Nepal or if you fly a Twotter, check out Lukla for a definite challenge.

Thank you! :)

For such a short trip I often use: EDDP MAG EMBOX POVEL DLE ROBEG BADMU MOBSA OSN EDDG (with EDLW as alternate).

You can get airport sceneries for EDDP, EDDG and EDLW in a single package from Aerosoft.

There are upper and lower airways available, so you can adjust your cruising altitude depending on the wind from FL60 all the way up, VORs to follow if you want to confirm your route, the airports are big enough for the 737, but small enough to avoid long taxi times.

Works very well with props (though over an hour then) or turbo props, too.

For slightly longer hops (but still not too long) you can then go from EDDG to EHAM or EDDM.

There are excellent freeware sceneries for EHAM and EDDM available, but if you want more bling, there are payware sceneries, too.

7 hours ago, ThomasAH said:

For such a short trip I often use: EDDP MAG EMBOX POVEL DLE ROBEG BADMU MOBSA OSN EDDG (with EDLW as alternate).

You can get airport sceneries for EDDP, EDDG and EDLW in a single package from Aerosoft.

There are upper and lower airways available, so you can adjust your cruising altitude depending on the wind from FL60 all the way up, VORs to follow if you want to confirm your route, the airports are big enough for the 737, but small enough to avoid long taxi times.

Works very well with props (though over an hour then) or turbo props, too.

For slightly longer hops (but still not too long) you can then go from EDDG to EHAM or EDDM.

There are excellent freeware sceneries for EHAM and EDDM available, but if you want more bling, there are payware sceneries, too.

Thank you for your help!

T

Go to the Simviation website , click the search option button , type in Bill McCellan .

You will get several pages of Flight Plans that you can download and fly .

They are mainly in USA but there are some in other parts of the world .

While they are primarily USAF military training flights there is nothing to stop you doing them in an airliner .

Each flight comes with a nice route map .

It's just another option to use if you wish to .

Cheers

Karol