Sign in to follow this  
Olympic260

B744 Tutorial Flight LTBA - LGAV

Excellent, Thanks, Chris. You did seem to race through some procedures, though.... At times, I had trouble keeping up with the dialogue :blush: Also, I noticed you skipped a few of the switches during your panel scan, so I wasn't sure of the position they were supposed to be in.

I'm half way through the video...   Just a few comments:

I read that the Flight Deck Fan (Freighter) has different logic, depending on the aircraft. Fan operation is inhibited in the air, but (optionally) the fan won't work with any of the packs operating. Is v3 programmed this way? It's good to see you used this control. Most simmer's priorities are different from real world pilots. When arriving in the real cockpit, comfort takes priority!  Getting the cockpit to comfortable temperatures is vital... Concentration is affected by extremes of temperatues :tongue:

At 8:30, I noticed you confirmed the Gross Weight value. Should this have put the gross weight on the Upper EICAS or is there additional logic? I see it appears at 12:30.

It seems no one ever uses the ND Plan and LEGS page to check the route? The LEGS page is good for checking for discontinuities, but the Plan page helps you make sure that all the waypoints are correctly sequenced (and that there are no strange bends in the route). The Plan page is also available prior to IRU alignment (a good thing in the real world).

You said that the Anti-Ice switches were "AUTO", but the Auto Anti-Ice doesn't activate until after takeoff. Should you have set the NAI switches to ON for taxi in such cold, wet weather?

Cheers

JHW

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

57 minutes ago, Qavion2 said:

Excellent, Thanks, Chris. You did seem to race through some procedures, though.... At times, I had trouble keeping up with the dialogue :blush: Also, I noticed you skipped a few of the switches during your panel scan, so I wasn't sure of the position they were supposed to be in.

I'm half way through the video...   Just a few comments:

I read that the Flight Deck Fan (Freighter) has different logic, depending on the aircraft. Fan operation is inhibited in the air, but (optionally) the fan won't work with any of the packs operating. Is v3 programmed this way? It's good to see you used this control. Most simmer's priorities are different from real world pilots. When arriving in the real cockpit, comfort takes priority!  Getting the cockpit to comfortable temperatures is vital... Concentration is affected by extremes of temperatues :tongue:

At 8:30, I noticed you confirmed the Gross Weight value. Should this have put the gross weight on the Upper EICAS or is there additional logic? I see it appears at 12:30.

It seems no one ever uses the ND Plan and LEGS page to check the route? The LEGS page is good for checking for discontinuities, but the Plan page helps you make sure that all the waypoints are correctly sequenced (and that there are no strange bends in the route). The Plan page is also available prior to IRU alignment (a good thing in the real world).

You said that the Anti-Ice switches were "AUTO", but the Auto Anti-Ice doesn't activate until after takeoff. Should you have set the NAI switches to ON for taxi in such cold, wet weather?

Cheers

JHW

I second that, nice video Chris and yasou!

I agree with JHW, the temperature was +6C with visible moisture so the nacelle anti-ice would go to the ON position for taxi. Then, after the flaps are up, and the gear handle is positioned OFF, then the nacelle anti-ice can be put to AUTO.

For airports that have ground radar tracking, the transponder should be put in the XPDR mode, rather than RA/TA, then RA/TA should be selected on your line up check with the strobes and lights.

Also when you pressurize hydraulics for start, you should put #4 demand pump to AUX, then #1 to AUX, then 2 and 3 to AUTO. You always want to pressurize the normal brake system first to prevent the shuttle valve moving with the possibility of a small transfer of hydraulic fluid from the alternate system (1) if you pressurize that first.

The plan mode is very useful for stepping through the flight plan visually, and as JHW says, it is easy to spot discontinuities, or anomalies in the database, which sometimes you come across. However, to verify your route, you have to check courses and distances from the legs page against your flight plan. That is more important than just using the Plan Mode.

I enjoyed the video...

Chris, just note that the landing light switches are not arranged as you might expect. I noticed that you switched off one inboard and one ouboard landing light during climb (and turned on one inboard and one outboard light during descent).

Also, as you probably realised, you left flap extension a little late for landing. On an intercept course for the localiser, you should probably have flaps 10.

I noticed an EICAS "XFEED CONFIG" message during flap retraction after landing. I don't think this is correct. According to my notes, there is a 40 second inhibit on the message to specifically allow for the transit of the flaps through the takeoff range to up after landing.

That was very thoughtful of you to turn off the taxi lights so as not to blind the arrival crew and turn off the radar. We only appreciate the lights being left on when the weather is cold (they put out a lot of heat as well as light)   (I'm joking of course).

Ext 2 should have been left in AVAIL, otherwise the cargo loaders would have problems with the loading systems. It's not only the cargo doors which are affected.

Thanks again! 

Cheers

JHW

Thank you guys for the comments.

The switches I skipped were the ones that are on the default/correct position. This was intended to be a quick setup so that someone that does not know can have the aircraft in air in no time.

For your observations

1) Cockpit fan, I will check this with the developers. I am not sure how exactly is programmed

2) Gross weight. I will have again to check it. I was under the impression that appears instantly on the upper Eicas.

3) I am using the plan for the "uknown" flights. LTBA - LGAV is a usual test flight so I know the route very well. Again as this was a basic tutorial I did not get in any details.

4) For the Anti ICE you are correct was my oversight

5) Regarding the use of the transponder. Since I am flying in Vatsim in order for ground controllers or other controllers to see the aircraft on ground we must put the transponder to TA/RA. The other modes are not used, hence I am putting it to TA/RA there. (Euroscope has mode S simulation that shows the aircrafts on ground correctly even with SQK stb but depends on the controller)

6) Noted for the hydraulics thx :)

7) Noted for the lights, I do not know why I did them that way.

8) Yes I know I left the flaps to late, personal choise since I was not near the airport when established

9) I will check for the XFEED config messages

10) Noted for EXT POWER 2. These details simmers do not take under consideration :)

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

18 hours ago, Qavion2 said:

I noticed an EICAS "XFEED CONFIG" message during flap retraction after landing. I don't think this is correct. According to my notes, there is a 40 second inhibit on the message to specifically allow for the transit of the flaps through the takeoff range to up after landing.

Ooops... Correction.... There is a 40 second inhibit on the 2&3 crossfeed valve "close" command in this situation (which should stop the message appearing).

Oh, OK, thanks Chris for the tip on transponder operation on VATSIM, I am a member, but have not taken a flight yet. Looking forward to taking some virtual trips and that is good to know...