Sign in to follow this  
tecto

is this hardware will be able to handle FSX on MAX settings?

Hello everyone, I’m going to built a workstation to fly with FSX or P3D (not decided yet).

I have quite big doubts what should I choose. Currently I’m interested in the following components:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-HD3 (Socket 1151)

RAM Memory: GOODRAM PLAY Red 16GB [2x8GB 2133MHz DDR4 CL15 DIMM]

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 6GB DDR5

I’m interested also in following addons:

FS Global, FTX Global & Regions, FTX Trees HD, PMDG 737, REX 4 Texture Direct With Soft Clouds, ORBX regions and few more.

My goal is to make it as real as possible.

Do you think that hardware will able to handle that on 1920x1080x32 resolution with all settings/sliders on MAX?

Will be the difference between FSX and P3D in the performance? Currently I don’t know, which to buy.

Please help.

I forgot to add that my parallel goal is to make it as smooth as possible - at least 30-40 FPS

Intel Core i5-7400  Base CPU speed of 3.0 GHz with turbo speed at 3.5 GHz.  I doubt that will handle

what you want to do at those frame rates and smoothly.  You may need to clock it up to 4.2-4.5GHz

if that's possible.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

So the key in here is the CPU frequency right?

Another option is to put Intel Core i3-7300, which has 2 cores & 4 threads. The base freq. is 4.0 GHz so I guess it shouldn't be a problem to OC this to at least 4.5 GHz. 

What do you think?

Sorry I've just noticed that I should not post it here - so request to the moderator to move the topic for appropriate section.

i7 and a K are the ones you want, K after the number stands for unlocked multiplier and thus means it can be overclocked, no K no OC, RAM if you still can find 2400Mhz and CL9 the more higher the CL number, the slower the RAM.

GPU GTX 1070 or 1080 and then maybe you can max all sliders out, with your specs, no were near max.

You want a powerfull station for FSX or P3D? count at least 1500 to 2000$ for the rig alone ( big case, not medium, lots of fans and most off all a powerfull CPU cooler.

Unless you want to be one of those many guys cutting corners in hardware and keep posting here for the next 5 years complaining how bad your system runs and if somebody can help you tweek it to get it going without blurries and stutters on half slider settings

Herman

I know that i7 should handle it but current prices are very high.
I planned to choose the newest socket 1151 to have an opportunity to put i7-7700K in the future... but now is out of my reach :)

What do you think about Intel Core i3-7350K? It hase 2 cores & 4 threads and base freq.=4.2 GHz. It can be overclocked up to 5.0 GHz. Should be enough for 30-40 FPS right?

35 minutes ago, electricman said:

RAM if you still can find 2400Mhz and CL9 the more higher the CL number, the slower the RAM.

You can use 3000MHz or even 3400MHz RAM in the Z170 motherboard. 

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

at least 4 cores, like I said with those specs it won't run 30-40FPS maxed out, it won't even run 10-20FPS maxed out and no PMDG stuff..

BTW; why maxed out? do you want the sim for flying experience or for site seeing? if the last then I have to disappoint you, even with the best add ons you will see that the world in FSX and P3D looks pretty much everywhere the same with some variations?

Herman

They are both basically the same, Lockeed Martin bought FSX rights from MS and renamed and tweeked it into P3D, the only difference so far is that FSX can't use hyperthreading and P3D can. P3D however is meant for professional pilots  and pilots in training and doesn't support sim amateurs like us.

Maybe you should save until you can afford a good rig instead of this office rig you call a workstation, before 9 years I was the same as you only to find myself already 3 times building a new system and loosing much more money then when I would have build a descend rig from day 1 and loosing lots of time tweeking and cursing the poor performance then I did enjoying flying all kinds of aircraft. ( and with lots off time I literally mean years ).

Herman 

Guys - from the other point.
Do you know any youtube videos showing FSX in max settings - but in REAL? 
I know that there is a lot of videos but most of them are specially post processed and show unreal FSX behavior.

Bear in mind that 64bit looks like the future for flight sim what that will bring to the table we will have to wait and see, this may change were the hardware bottle necks are.

ray fry.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, rjfry said:

Bear in mind that 64bit looks like the future for flight sim what that will bring to the table we will have to wait and see, this may change were the hardware bottle necks are.

ray fry.

I didn't catch. What do you mean?

DTG Have now stated they are working on 64bit for the next flight simulator the cats out the bag on that, it`s also rumoured that P3D are working on the next update to be 64bit but until we see what it brings were in the dark so to speak.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Guest JustanotherPilot
6 hours ago, electricman said:

P3D however is meant for professional pilots  and pilots in training and doesn't support sim amateurs like us.

Herman,

What do you mean by this? LM provides excellent support for all levels of Sim Pilots, they has been the case since way back when version 1 was released (now v3.4), they release updates and hotfixes when required and their forum offers all sorts of answers for everyone. It is a way better platform than FSX and SE(I have both) for tweaking and utilizing installed hardware and no more need to add improvement entries to the cfg file They are currently working on a 64 bit version which should be the game changer for flight simming professional and amateur alike. I think you have been misinformed.

steve