Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Helicopter addiction in P3D

What I ended up doing (before I found a registry edit to make the installer accept P3D.. that's in a post buried in the dodo forum at Hovercontrol) was re-install FSX 10 with Acceleration Pack. then copied The dodo over to P3D. Plus another helicopter for some of the sounds and effects. I had a terrible time getting the old Gold Edtion DVD's to run on a newer machine. If you check all posts concerning P3D in the forum at Hover control, it's not hard to find what to do. I owned the original version of the Dodo and the SP2 patch (brings it to version 1.54 I think) was posted in the forum.

Best part of doing this was finding out that there actually is work being done for a new version with Native P3D installers, and they are working on a version for VR, Looks as if maybe half way finished with new modeling work and a good ways into the new flight model coding. This will be a definite buy for me. (also found that they do make military training versions) 

...... registry edit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Set the value of that key to the root of your P3D installation, (i.e. the one containing the p3d.exe.)

I think you can look at the entry for P3D and see the format for the edit.

It's been so long since I've flown it, It's even better than I remembered it being.  

• Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Hi, sorry to bring back an old thread, but I just (re)joined the party!

I fly RC as well, but it's been a few years-- all of my helicopters have flybars. I even built a 450 size Chinook (seach YouTube for Twinrex in the hangar). 

I haven't used P3d yet, but I used to fly a lot in FS8/9/X.  What I did for collective was use the throttle from my Saitek X52 zip tied to the left arm rest of my chair.  I reversed the throttle axis, so it functioned pull up to go up. It's no real collective lever, but was free, and worked a lot better than the little throttle lever on an all-in-one joystick. 

I'm glad to find other RC-ers on here as well!