Sign in to follow this  

Hello,

i have a cpu i7 7700k runing at stock. I would like to make a little OC, maybe to 4.5 or 4.7ghz. Do you think that it will be a good "speed" for P3D?

My System:

i7 7700k

Asus Tuf Z270 Mark 1

MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8GB OC

16GB GSkill Trident Z 3200

2 SSD 525GB (one dedicated to P3d)

2TB HDD

Seasonic M12II 620W Evo

If you can give me some help...

Regards,

Ricardo

Ricardo (Montijo, Portugal).
System: MSFS2020

NEW BUILD in process:

Intel i7 12700K, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra, 64GB RAM DDR5, Gigabyte RTX 3080 TI, 2TB SSD Samsung 980 PRO, 1TB SSD WD SN750, 1TB SSD Kingston A2000, Corsair Hydro H150i Elite LCD, Corsair RM1000x, Corsair Virtuoso SE Headset, Corsair 5000D Airflow with 7 SP120mm RGB Elite Fans, LG 35WN65 (3440x1440), Thrustmaster Airbus Officer Pack+AddOn

The Asus Motherboards have a decent utility built into the BIOS to assist you with this.  Break out the Motherboard manual and itll walk you through it.  Make sure you have the most up to date BIOS firmware.  You probably do with that Z270 board, but it never hurts to check.

16 hours ago, Ricardobc said:

Hello,

i have a cpu i7 7700k runing at stock. I would like to make a little OC, maybe to 4.5 or 4.7ghz. Do you think that it will be a good "speed" for P3D?

My System:

i7 7700k

Asus Tuf Z270 Mark 1

MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8GB OC

16GB GSkill Trident Z 3200

2 SSD 525GB (one dedicated to P3d)

2TB HDD

Seasonic M12II 620W Evo

If you can give me some help...

Regards,

Ricardo

You are already getting a 4.5 GHz overclock. The 7700K Turbo's to 4.5. 

Ordinarily, there are two choices. 1. Spend some time on the net researching how to manually overclock, that means watching videos and reading guides. 2. Use the Asus Five Way Optimisation utility.

I usually overclock manually, but the overclock I'm using currently is courtesy of Five Way Optimisation. It matched my manual overclock exactly.

Unfortunately, although yours is a fantastic motherboard, it doesn't come with Five Way Optimisation.

The motherboard does have an "easy tuning wizard" within the BIOS for a quick overclock. This will be a generic, "one size fits all overclock". If you use it, stress test afterwards with RealBench. 

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/TUF-Z270-MARK-1/

Hi Ricardo,

Yeah - most manufacturers make it pretty easy to overclock today - even for beginners - Gigabyte has it down to a single setting for the simple method (I'm sure ASUS has similar) - I've got an extra 1.2 Ghz over my base clock using it and it's been running that way for years... It truly was set it and forget it... Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

While you're at it, check out MSI Afterburner to bump up the clocks on your gpu too...can't hurt. :biggrin:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

2 hours ago, Jimm said:

While you're at it, check out MSI Afterburner to bump up the clocks on your gpu too...can't hurt. :biggrin:

Really.... :huh:

Bert

6 hours ago, Jimm said:

I agree with Bert, you can't use a MSI program on a Asus mainboard...a really good joke though!

Since I'm buying the same mainboard, I suggest looking on page 11 of the manual since it's very simple and easy to overclock from 4.6 to 4.8 GHz and it's already in the bios.

Darryl

4 minutes ago, AA777-223 said:

I agree with Bert, you can't use a MSI program on a Asus mainboard...a really good joke though!

Since I'm buying the same mainboard, I suggest looking on page 7 of the manual since it's very simple and easy to overclock from 4.6 to 4.8 GHz and it's already in the bios.

Darryl

Who says you can't?  The OP has an MSI graphics card.

https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

14 minutes ago, AA777-223 said:

I actually meant that overclocking your video card is not "without risk" and best left alone..

Bert

8 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I actually meant that overclocking your video card is not "without risk" and best left alone..

Risk is always a factor when you change the settings of hardware like that, but I can say that both my cpu and gpu are overclocked, but not to extreme, meaning that care and caution should be taken and not don't blindly.  You can look at a great many users here at AVSIM who show off their specs and they have overclocked cpus and gpus.  There are many guides on Youtube and the net that outline how to do it, with the same warnings and cautions.

I was talking about the main/motherboard...not the video card, Bert is right "leave alone."

6 hours ago, Jimm said:

28 minutes ago, AA777-223 said:

Since I'm buying the same mainboard, I suggest looking on page 11 of the manual since it's very simple and easy to overclock from 4.6 to 4.8 GHz and it's already in the bios.

Darryl

Graphics card overclocking isn't as risky as some here are implying. GPU's are no different to CPU's, in that a GPU will throttle back to avoid damage if it overheats. 

Countless third party graphics cards from the likes of Asus, EVGA for example are pre overclocked by the company. They wouldn't of course do this if it was a "risky" procedure. 

It's a somewhat different skill set and probably better to buy a graphics card that's already overclocked by the manufacturer, not to mention that gains aren't huge, but not as risky as some contributors in this thread are implying.

As always, with CPU or GPU overclocking, shouldn't be attempted without research first.

Buying a factory overclocked card is hardly the same as supporting "bump up the clocks on your gpu too...can't hurt"

Just saying..

Bert

On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Bert Pieke said:

Buying a factory overclocked card is hardly the same as supporting "bump up the clocks on your gpu too...can't hurt"

Just saying..

Of course it is!

You said...

"I actually meant that overclocking your video card is not "without risk" and best left alone.."

This statement is false. EVGA, Asus MSI etc will  overclock their cards sensibly using the proper procedures. Somebody that buys a card, not pre-overcloked, will do the same. Using recognised, sensible techniques they will overclock their cards. 

Overclocking a GPU is no different to overclocking a CPU. Both include a small risk factor and both should be done sensibly, with care, using the proper techniques. 

I'm sure you aren't against CPU overclocking so there's no reason to be against a small GPU overclock either. In fact most graphics card companies pretty much encourage it by providing feature rich utilities to do so.