Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

Two questions about items in cockpit not covered in manuals

I just bought this excellent plane and I'm really enjoying it.  But I have two questions and I can't seem to find an answer, even when I do an online search for a real manual (which can't be had).

1. What is the Manual Override lever located next to the throttle lever for?

2. Can someone please explain what the crosshatches are for on the bottom left of the instrument panel?

If anyone can enlighten me I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks a lot.

Jack

Jack Sawyer

Re 1:

MANUAL OVERRIDE LEVER
Description
The MANUAL OVERRIDE lever (MOR) is located on the center console to the left of
PCL. The MOR controls the engine power in case of a pneumatic failure of the engine
fuel control or in case of a PCL system failure. The MOR lever is an emergency device
and it is possible to exceed engine limits if the MOR lever is operated too fast. However,
even if the engine limits have been momentarily exceeded, the MOR will allow the crew
to continue safe flight and landing if the Engine Failure in Flight - Partial Power Loss
emergency procedure is followed.
The MOR directly operates the fuel metering valve by mechanically compressing the
pneumatic bellows (Py pressure) in the FCU. There is a gap between the MOR
mechanism and the pneumatic bellows. This gap must first be taken up before the
pneumatic bellows start to compress, this results in a dead band when starting to
operate the MOR lever. In case of a Py leak, the engine spools down to minimum fuel
flow with no response to PCL inputs. Minimum fuel flow is 90 lb/h and results in 35% Ng
on the ground to 70% Ng at 30,000 ft. The higher the altitude and the faster the forward
speed the longer the engine spool down time to 50% (spool down times of 15 secs are
possible). At high altitudes it is possible to achieve full engine power when operating the
MOR system. At low altitudes with the MOR lever fully forward the MOR system may
not give full engine power (min. 30 psi torque). When the MOR system is in operation
the torque limiter and Ng governor are inoperative.
Operation
During normal engine operation the MOR lever is in the full aft or OFF position. In the
case of a possible PCL or pneumatic failure, the PCL should be exercised to check
engine response. If not successful the PCL should be set to the idle position and the
MOR lever operated slowly forward (at least 4 secs to the mid position) to take up the
dead band until the engine responds (fuel flow above 90 lb/h and Ng/ITT stable or
increasing), then wait until the engine stabilizes. If the engine stalls and/or ITT reaches
870° C, operate the MOR lever slightly rearward then forward again with an even slower
movement. If the engine is allowed to drop below 50% Ng, starter assistance may be
required to recover Ng above 50%. Once the engine has stabilized adjust the required
power setting with the MOR lever. Observe the engine limitations by making
adjustments with the MOR lever. Do not permit the Ng to fall below 65% as ITT may
then be exceeded, this will also maintain better engine acceleration. In descent and until
touch down adjust Ng to 75% or above. After touch down select cut-off feather to avoid
exceeding ITT limits. On the ground with no forward speed it is not possible to recover
low Ng with the MOR lever.

• Upvote 1

Bert

26 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

2. Can someone please explain what the crosshatches are for on the bottom left of the instrument panel?

They are the Caution and Warning Indicators.

• Upvote 1

Bert

Thanks Bert.  But about those crosshatches, can you say what exactly they are for, I mean what triggers them?

Jack Sawyer