Sign in to follow this  
debarba

Beta 7.2 temporary freq change problem

Hi - I've searched and tried to find if anyone has had my problem but all I can find are somewhat similar, not the same. I've tried this at multiple departure airports and the behavior is the same. I'm flying VFR out of Phoenix Deer Valley (KDVT). ATIS and taxi work fine. When I get to the runway and ask for the freq change from ground, it responds with instructions to tune tower on "radio freq". I'm expecting to hear "...report back on frequency." If I tune to the tower, I can "contact" them but the VoxATC window says to go back to ground and request temp freq change. If I ignore and try to request takeoff clearance from tower, I will get "...unable at this time." I'm assuming that's because the flight plan hasn't been open yet. So I'm stuck in this loop. Has anyone seen this behavior or am I not doing something correctly?

Thanks,

Bob

On 3/16/2017 at 6:48 AM, debarba said:

Hi - I've searched and tried to find if anyone has had my problem but all I can find are somewhat similar, not the same. I've tried this at multiple departure airports and the behavior is the same. I'm flying VFR out of Phoenix Deer Valley (KDVT). ATIS and taxi work fine. When I get to the runway and ask for the freq change from ground, it responds with instructions to tune tower on "radio freq". I'm expecting to hear "...report back on frequency." If I tune to the tower, I can "contact" them but the VoxATC window says to go back to ground and request temp freq change. If I ignore and try to request takeoff clearance from tower, I will get "...unable at this time." I'm assuming that's because the flight plan hasn't been open yet. So I'm stuck in this loop. Has anyone seen this behavior or am I not doing something correctly?

Thanks,

Bob

I have encountered this and have done some experimenting with it. It seems related to how close you are to the takeoff runway at the time you attempt to contact FSS. If your position on the ramp is close to the takeoff point, you are out of luck. Your best bet to avoid this issue, is to contact FSS prior to taxiing away from the ramp. The only way out of it after receiving the, "Unavailable at this time message," is to check for landing traffic, get out there despite not having clearance, take off, fly far enough away from the airport, and reset VoxATC. Not the perfect solution, but does work (If someone has a better one I'd like to hear it). We can also hope this is fixed in the next release. 

+1 noticed the same bug. i got stuck with the instruction to demand freq change only to be told by the ground either "calsign...go ahead" or "contact tower on.." Repeating the request in the first case did not change anything and changing the freq to contact tower resulted in the instruction to go back to ground freq where the instruction for change of freq permission was displayed again. Trying different options to get unstuck finally resulted in me being able to contact tower and proceed but never openned my flightplan. I then tried expert mode but got frustrated because of p3d default freq being different from the latest airac cycles and with the specifics and perks of saying things like gate one seven instead of seventeen. probably need to do more voxatc to get used to specific expressions - i would not say the expert mode is much more liberal in communication, the phrase needs to be very much spot on or you get say again. Lastly the lack of the development progress is starting to annoy me. I have been the user of 6 (a good product) and now 7, has invested, compared to other addons, a significant amount of money in it, and am still stuck with this buggy, sort of an early beta software (being promissed the utl bridge, too) for more than a year now, but with no com from the developer and no updates announced. It is a brilliant addon which just needs to be finished and cleaned of bugs. But with a year in between without any news from the developer, it seems it will never happen.

i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, strix gtx1070, P3D4, FSX