Sign in to follow this  
Tomahawk_pa38

PSS Concorde problem

I've just reloaded the PSS Concorde but I am finding that on take off, the nose keeps pitching up and the plane stalls.  In the checklists, it says to set the pitch index but I can't find how to do that.  The manual says that the Pitch Index switch is at the bottom right hand corner of the ASI but I can't find that on mine.  Anyone any ideas please?

This is after you center the joystick ,right? The PSS Concorde has some kind of FBW augmentation like the Airbus aircraft. Maybe it's possible that your joystick is not being read as centered but pitching up instead. Try playing with the dead zones. If you have a registered version of FSUIPC, it will be easier to check.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

The 'pitch index' is a guide on the ADI of where to set your initial aircraft pitch angle after takeoff.  It is set using '+' and '-' click spots either side of the 'test' knob, lower right of the ADI.  Hold your mouse there and a tooltip appears showing your current pitch index.  This is described on p.28 of the systems.pdf.  I have mine set to 13 degrees.  But it is strictly a visual cue and would have nothing to do with your exaggerated pitch up after takeoff.  I would check your pitch trim indicator (between yaw trim and roll trim wheels on the pedestal) is neutral.

David, CYXE

Thanks for your help folks - I've looked at those suggestions but I think it's something wrong with either FS2004 or the Concorde as it doesn't happen all the time and I can make perfect takeoffs sometimes but not others. So when it happens  I'll just quit FS2004 and reload it as that sometimes seems to work.  On another point - do you have a flightplan for a return trip KJFK to EGLL - I can create one but I'm not sure where the acceleration / deceleration points are when to climb and begin descent.

Many thanks again for your help.

Here is a KJFK-EGLL plan. Decel point is 29nm before BARIX.     http://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/newyork.html

Flying eastwards there is no set acceleration point (unlike EGLL-KJFK) as you are out over water straight away. So it will depend on ATC clearance. You can do a continuous acceleration departure. So keep to 250KIAS initially then accelerate to 400 KIAS and upon reaching that speed go straight to MAX CLB. You can speed up before 10,000 feet as Concorde usually got early clearance to accelerate/climb

Peter Schluter

I had the PSS Concorde, but experienced problems with the flight dynamics, usually near the end of descent. I switched to the SSTSIM http://sstsim.co.uk/index.php

It may not look so nice, but it is a much better product with a very realistic triple INS system and better handling characteristics.

Peter Schluter