Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Funny, the more you change, the faster you run back...

Recently reading on a post about some custom cloud reworks, for xEnviro, I decided to try them out.  As always, comments are of a personal nature.  In running with them, I found less detail, and a more smooth 'homogeneous' to them.  I shut down XP11, went back and replaced the custom clouds with the original xEnviro v1.06 Cloud.bmp texture file....loaded back up my flight out of Moncton, NB, and once more saw varied texture, and a much more pleasing experience. Taught me a lesson, ...sometimes 'more' is actually, 'less'.  Each to their own, but I think the original xEnviro v1.6 cloud pack, is the best out there...totally real in appearance, and not looking like daubs of yougurt... 

I'm sticking with 'em.

Good stuff.

• Upvote 1

are you talking about the 2k and 4k texture pack  that was released recently?

You mean the stock xenviro clouds are better than the released pack? Ok...

stock xenviro:

cccf68bfb7.jpg

reworked:

86d8c9c565.jpg

I don't see how could you imply the former looks more "real", but whatever floats your boat.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, katice said:

I don't see how could you imply the former looks more "real", but whatever floats your boat.  

I think in this case you mean, whatever flies your plane... ;) 

25 minutes ago, katice said:

You mean the stock xenviro clouds are better than the released pack

Can you share where you got them?

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

The new 4k clouds in that pack CRUSH xEnviro's offering imo.   

This was me leaving San Diego yesterday as weather was moving in from the coast line using xEnviro with the 4k texture clouds from the linked add-on above.  No contest.

XP11-04.png

• Upvote 2

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I tried the 4K variant and the performance went down massively. The 2K set however is really nice on my rig. The clouds in the first screenshot here look nothing like xenviro to me, these clouds are similar to the old SMP 3 styles. Look at the cheesy borders.

Hans

1 hour ago, katice said:

There you go. You can get pretty nice results with it. 

Thanks!!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

7 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

The clouds in the first screenshot here look nothing like xenviro to me, these clouds are similar to the old SMP 3 styles. Look at the cheesy borders.

Those are stock xenviro clouds, at least one of their variations. If you have it you should know. 

Just now, katice said:

Those are stock xenviro clouds, at least one of their variations. If you have it you should know. 

Never seen any of these before with xenviro, after months of using it daily. But as each system is different, who knows, they may show up somewhere.

Hans

Nice change, I like the the new 4k clouds, so far I haven't notice any degradation in performance.

12 hours ago, saed45 said:

are you talking about the 2k and 4k texture pack  that was released recently?

Yes.  I tried the 4K...and went back to the v1.6 xEnviro cloud pack. 

I'm testing them out now, and from what I've seen so far I really like them. I've only been flying locally, so have yet to see much variety in weather and layers and therefore can't say for certain if they work well, or better for me in all cases. As with REX I've always favored a crisper cloud edge to the soft versions, which the default xE clouds look more like. The shots of the new official HD clouds slated for 1.07 look very good, particually the cirrus.

Despite the improved default clouds I have no regrets with paying for xE, which still delivers far better skyscapes IMHO. If they added some manual control, or even set themes I would be even happier.

X-plane 10 + X-Enviro experimental clouds 1.1 +4k texture

smooth and stable fps 30

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition