Sign in to follow this  
spesimen

landclass updates

does anyone still make landclass products for fsx?

i have been flying a lot in russia/india/asia lately and some of the default areas are pretty bad. southern parts of india look decent but as you go north there are some areas where it's literally 1 texture for miles and miles.

i know cloud9 and scenerytech made LC for this area but they are both products from 2007-2008. i'd imagine things have changed a lot in this time. and maybe there is much better data available now?

does anyone else make updated areas for these or can someone who flies this continent suggest an alternative? i figure orbx may eventually do an OpenLC for these areas but who knows when/if that will occur..

cheers,-andy crosby

This is not an answer to your question, but could you explain what exactly is meant by "landclass"? I realize it has to do with scenery but what does it actually do?

Probably a dumb question, but had to ask.

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

Scenery is made up of several layers.  There is mesh - the topography of the land (hills, valleys, mountains, etc), there is Landclass....what is the nature of the land (forest, city, desert) and there is vector data which is precise drawing of roads, rivers, lakes, coastlines, etc.  Put all this together and you have a reasonable rendering by the computer of the real world.  There is a very good document you can download from ORBX that explains this a lot better and Orbx produces all of the above but so far only has Landclass for North America and Europe although they plan to do the entire world.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

yeah it really fills in a lot of the believeability of an area even if it's not fully accurate like photoreal.

orbx and UTX both make good ones for usa and europe but it still kind of surprises me there aren't more detailed treatments other parts of the globe out there after a decade. is it just that the customer market is stronger for those areas?

while i was googling around for reviews i realized that i actually own the asia one from cloud9 .. got it many years ago, probably forgot to reinstall it after switching to steam... so i put that in this afternoon and having a look right now doing VNKT->ULAA  . it seems to at least have a much nicer amount of variety. obviously doesn't quite compare to the hand-generated ones from the other guys but for $10 i can't complain at all

cheers,-andy crosby

3 hours ago, MarkW said:

Scenery is made up of several layers.  There is mesh - the topography of the land (hills, valleys, mountains, etc), there is Landclass....what is the nature of the land (forest, city, desert) and there is vector data which is precise drawing of roads, rivers, lakes, coastlines, etc.  Put all this together and you have a reasonable rendering by the computer of the real world.  There is a very good document you can download from ORBX that explains this a lot better and Orbx produces all of the above but so far only has Landclass for North America and Europe although they plan to do the entire world.

Thanks so much for enlightening me on this topic, I will check out the ORBX document

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

On 3/16/2017 at 7:06 PM, spesimen said:

does anyone still make landclass products for fsx?

i have been flying a lot in russia/india/asia lately and some of the default areas are pretty bad

Andy - the flight sim community in Russia is very active and have put out some outstanding freeware aircraft and airports over the years - it would figure they have addressed the landclass issue for their country at least. Have you checked out some of their sites, starting with AVSIM.ru? The language difficulty can make it a bit tricky, but usually there's a translation option and often some sim-specific words (perhaps including landclass) the MS word is used verbatim so that and screen shots can often clue you into what the subject is...

If you take a look on the FS9 forum, there's a wonderful guy on there named Harald. He was born and raised in what was East Germany, speaks fluent English and Russian and mostly flies ex-Soviet era aircraft. He is an incredibly nice man and I'm sure would try to help you out...

4 hours ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

the flight sim community in Russia is very active and have put out some outstanding freeware aircraft and airports over the years

hey kiwiflyer, thanks for the head up. actually the reason i have been flying that area more lately is precisely because i downloaded a bunch of great freewares from that site!! the taligi/archangelsk airport from on there is amazing, almost orbx level.... there's also a great st.petersburg, boryspil(kiev) in ukraine, almaty in kazakhstan, an updated sochii for the olympics...tons of destinations! unfortunately most of the landclasses i could find on there were just small areas that complement a particular city or airport and not for the 1000 miles in between. but i did not spend a lot of time looking yet, i'll search a bit more! thinks for the tip about Harald i'll try to contact him on a message.

cheers,-andy crosby