Sign in to follow this  
RichieFly

AS16-Like Product Someday?

I really like X-plane 11 on several levels. The thing that's holding me back is weather, or more simply put, the lack of real-time weather.

Do you folks here at the X-Plane forums think we'll ever have a product for X-Plane that's comparable to Activesky?

A couple of days ago I made a flight from Buffalo to Boston during the spring storm using AS16. It was intense; I had heavy snow, changing winds, sleet and a low VFR approach. All I had to do was turn on AS16 and fly the route.

I, speaking for myself, cannot do without this aspect of sim flying.

Thoughts?

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

That AS16 is my next purchase, that sounds pretty cool...

That was probably a real joy going into Boston for real with that storm when the airport was open.

I have had some of the worst rides going into Boston with storms like that one, not lots of fun...

I am new to the XP11 world but I am enjoying it and I sure your longing for AS16 like software for XP11.   I have xEnviro which does real-time weather updating but X-Plane 11 I believe PHYSICALLY lacks the ability to do truly impressive storm like cloud configurations and weather problems that come with it.    I don't think X-Plane 11 has the hooks inside the core code necessary to allow 3rd party devs to truly go wild with the weather systems like you can with the ESP engine which is sad.   Weather should REALLY be a top priority since it is a major factor in flying.   I can't understand why after a decade Laminar is still dragging its feet on extremely important features like this.   If they aren't going to do it at least give 3rd party devs the power to do it themselves.   

• Upvote 2

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I used Active Sky in P3D and now I don't really miss anything that xEnviro deliver at the moment.

Once I was shooting approach to KORD with stormy weather and blowing snow. The only thing I was missing is actual snow on the ground. Other than that I don't experience any nostalgic feeling about AS16

• Upvote 3

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

14 hours ago, newtie said:

ThIs is why I'm a P3D fan for the foreseable future.

Good luck with your VAS monitoring. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Sebjo89 said:

Rex Simulations confirmed unofficialy they will do Sky Force 3D for X-Plane 11.

Have a look at the newest comments on this video

That is good news for XP11 if Rex is really bringing Skyforce to the table.   This has the potential to kick AS16 in the butt and if it does come to XP11, Skymaxx PRO and xEnviro and cooked gooses.

• Upvote 1

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

22 hours ago, jkeye said:

Good luck with your VAS monitoring. 

No VAS issues for me. Never had to join that club.

Cheers,

Mark

3 hours ago, newtie said:

No VAS issues for me. Never had to join that club.

Nope, me either. I've not had an OOM since the broken v3.2 that was quite quickly fixed. So people can't beat all references to P3D with this rather worn out stick.......... However, there is little to keep me on that platform as my primary sim now be it 32bit or 64bit, as XP does all I want far better; but that maybe is just me.

As for weather engines, xEnviro seems to produce weather every bit as good as AS on the whole. It often produces better looking conditions, and totally accurate in terms of what I see locally, where AS often misses the mark for me locally.

2 hours ago, Novation said:

As for weather engines, xEnviro seems to produce weather every bit as good as AS on the whole. It often produces better looking conditions, and totally accurate in terms of what I see locally, where AS often misses the mark for me locally.

That's a bold statement.   xEnviro is a FAR cry from AS16+ASCA's abilities.    It psyhically is incapable of depecting thunderstorms and billowing towering clouds that come with such weather.   It is decent at doing partly cloudy skies and can make conviencing overcast but it lacks a lot of power that AS16 has at its finger tips.    As someone who has taken a ton of screen caps from both P3D and XP11 now the clear winner for me is AS16+ASCA.  It is champion of the weather warriors.    Now... I heard a rumor that REX Skyforce 3D is coming to XP11.  If this rumor ends up being true xEnviro is about to get shelved by a lot of people.  The trailer for Skyforce3D is insanely gorgeous.    I am hoping beyond hope that this is not just a rumor but reality.   XP11 needs a REAL weather engine badly.

100454.png

Brian Navy

Wow. That video!

I don't see where one can derive this is coming to X-Plane from the comments of the video.

However, I hope it does. In the meantime, I'll be a P3D operator for the foreseeable future; which  isn't a bad thing. 

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

They wrote they're evaluating the chance to develop something for XP11, DTG and PR3 V4. Reading some post looks like we'll have Skyforce for XP11 before FSX...

If it's going to be it will be in 2018 so I'm quite happy to have XEnviro until that moment which by the way is not sure. I bet in a year XEnviro will not be the same as 1.06 so good money spent for me.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Kuragiman said:

That's a bold statement.

I know, and what you say is true, but I do have both products, and despite the limitations of the host sim I prefer the results xEnviro creates over AS2016. In fact I don't use AS2016 very much, as for some reason its hopeless for giving acurate weather for my local airports, which is where I do most of my flying; I only do local GA trips, remaining within a couple of hundred miles of my home. FSX/P3D does without doubt have more scope for creating far more detailed weather, but it can end up looking like a dogs dinner.

REX in XP11 will be interesting if it happens, and I have been waiting expectantly for Skyforce in P3D since that video, which seems like years ago :laugh: The REX team make some great products, but they seem to get slower and slower at delivering, so I'm not holding my breath for SF in XP11....... and I've not forgiven them for the awful Weather Architect yet :(

13 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Wow. That video!

I don't see where one can derive this is coming to X-Plane from the comments of the video.

However, I hope it does. In the meantime, I'll be a P3D operator for the foreseeable future; which  isn't a bad thing. 

You have to read the replies to some of the comments on the YouTube page. Someone from REX was replying to multiple people implying that they are working on an XP version.