Sign in to follow this  
Rudy Stubbs

Problem with Moffet Field scenery and FSX (Steam)

Hi Guys,

I'm a non technical user, but if someone explains in detail (don't make any assumptions other than file locations and that I can make simple edits using notepad), I'm hoping I can get this somewhat annoying glitch worked out of my add-on Moffet scenery - the one that's available here in the library.

What's happening is that everything looks normal on my approach, but at around 500 feet large chunks of runway start to disappear, replaced with flat ground texture until the only asphalt left visible is where the taxiways intersect. I hope the link to the photo works.  Is there a simple fix?  I have the moffet scenery at the top of the scenery list, if that makes a difference.

Apologies in advance for my ignorance.

289lu7a.jpg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9fB_1Qai7W9UTdqaFRPMkNmSm8

-Rudy Stubbs

Are you using an FS2004 scenery? I only see a 1930's KNUQ scenery for FSX in the library and your screenshot doesn't look like it's that one. A lot of FS2004 scenery will not work properly in FSX.

Barry Friedman

Yes, it's FS2004 Scenery for Moffett Field (KNUQ) Sunnyvale, California (CA) USA. // VERSION 2 by John Stinstrom.  Everything works fine except the vanishing runways....  the hangers, the lighted ramp with the p-3 Orion statics, the Ames research center, but I don't use the Goodyear Blimp.  

So, there's no fix? I wanted to recreate my 1970-80's world.

What you are seeing is probably due to the fact that the way FS9 and FSX model the world are different, it was in fact one of the major changes in FSX. FS9 modeled the world as a flat surface, FSX changed and models the world more realistically, i.e. as a sphere. So if you try to plonk a flat FS9 scenery into the world, it will have bits of the ground bleeding through because of the spherical base.

You could try this add on and see if it will fix it (note that there is a free demo, which is probably worth trying to see if it fixes it before you stump up any cash): http://www.flightsimtools.com/adconvx/

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Well, that makes sense with what I'm seeing.  Maybe John will provide an updated version at some point.... As I said, it's just the rwys that are weird (and the trees, but they are kind of funny).  The default scenery is, well, ugly by comparison. The addon scenery brings the area to life.

I just downloaded and installed this version:  FS2004 Scenery for Moffett Field (KNUQ) V.3

Very nicely done and after a quick test flight, there was no missing runway or other textures.

I got it over at the flightsim.com library and will check for it here as well!

Yep, knuq_js3.zip

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Charlie, I find that if I originate from knuq, fly around locally, then return I don't get the problem.  But when I fly like from kdal, I still get the disappearing runways.  I've tried removing each bgl one at a time, and thought I had it nailed down, but no joy.

I did a later test flight from NAS Whidbey Island, Wash. down to NAS Moffett  and no runways disappeared.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

After many tries I finally got KNUQ the way I want it.  The disappearing runway was solved using AFX (the demo version allows you to change the runway elevation, and that did the trick, but it's a useful program to have and easy to use, so I bought it).  The funky trees were in a bgl named, funnily enough, moffet trees, deleted,

I extended one rwy and lengthened the over-run on the other, and added approach lights (AFX) and made a new underlying airport boundary with ADE to smooth everything out.  I'm happy with the results and never would have learned how to do all that if I hadn't come here looking for help.ehx5xy.jpg