Sign in to follow this  
Stoli151

X-Plane 11 demo made me a believer

After years of fsx and now P3D, trying the X-Plane 11 demo has converted me. After years of slapping a $20 or $30 band-aid on fsx or fsx-se or P3D in the form of add-ons for various reasons, I can finally say I've found a sim that may have broke the vicious cycle. 

I have always been unsatisfied with fsx performance and the flying on rails feeling. The little stutter here or there, the way the aircraft behave, especially the default ones and the night lighting have always bugged me. Don't get me wrong I love it for what it was but I need to move on.  XP 11 finally has moved me. I went ahead and purchased it yesterday.

The way the aircraft react as if they're in actual atmosphere to the way the sim looks now is the best in my opinion. The things that need to be fixed I'm sure will be as it's still in beta. I just love it now. I'm absolutely sure the fixes and add-ons will come in time and even if no one makes an add on for this, highly unlikely, it will still be a solid sim. 

I just wanted to thank all the X-Plane loyalists for supporting this and helping to make it possible for me to enjoy now.  But please X-Plane, if you're listening,  get better ATC and you'll be perfect in my opinion.

• Upvote 6

Pilot2atc should bé the perfect solution to ATC for xplane, read only positive reviews 

Welcome, welcome! I know how you feel considering i have been using the Flight Sim series since fs1998 and only in the last year came to xplane. The "floating" feeling while flying, the suspension and physics on the ground, the lighting (both daylight and night), NO DAMN BLURRIES and Ram being actually used, the big amount of free content (going from airport sceneries to free libraries and meshes, to photoreal sceneries to w2xp content) is just amazing

• Upvote 4

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

10 hours ago, Stoli151 said:

... and the flying on rails feeling.

:ohmy:

Oohhh... I‘m waiting for a certain user to chime in, and ... The fellow X-Planers know, whom I mean :laugh::laugh:.

EDIT: And welcome to the bright side of life ...

• Upvote 3

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

25 minutes ago, uwespeed said:

Oohhh... I‘m waiting for a certain user to chime in, and ... The fellow X-Planers know, whom I mean :laugh::laugh:.

It shouldn't be me :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The beta 15 is what finally pulled me over.  I"ve been flying nothing but xplane since it came out.  The clouds now look quite good to me and the default scenery is pretty good.

I've found it quite enjoyable to set up a simple weather theme of scattered cumulus from 14 to 18 thousand feet and a vis of 50 miles (temp 64F - pleasant spring day).  It produces a very nice sunshine and cloud effect.

Some have said that the haze is overdone and it may be but not by much.  The sky texture can be adjusted to make it less offensive colorwise and anyone able to create addons that adjust the weather can surely just increase the reported visibility by a few miles.

Im enjoying it.  That's what matters.

• Upvote 3

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

On 3/17/2017 at 0:50 AM, Stoli151 said:

After years of fsx and now P3D, trying the X-Plane 11 demo has converted me. After years of slapping a $20 or $30 band-aid on fsx or fsx-se or P3D in the form of add-ons for various reasons, I can finally say I've found a sim that may have broke the vicious cycle. 

I have always been unsatisfied with fsx performance and the flying on rails feeling. The little stutter here or there, the way the aircraft behave, especially the default ones and the night lighting have always bugged me. Don't get me wrong I love it for what it was but I need to move on.  XP 11 finally has moved me. I went ahead and purchased it yesterday.

The way the aircraft react as if they're in actual atmosphere to the way the sim looks now is the best in my opinion. The things that need to be fixed I'm sure will be as it's still in beta. I just love it now. I'm absolutely sure the fixes and add-ons will come in time and even if no one makes an add on for this, highly unlikely, it will still be a solid sim. 

I just wanted to thank all the X-Plane loyalists for supporting this and helping to make it possible for me to enjoy now.  But please X-Plane, if you're listening,  get better ATC and you'll be perfect in my opinion.

Move around your airport property at night..and truly feel you are there...for your landing and taxi lights will light up whatever is in front of them, and then as you pass, the object once more descends into darkness...it triggers a 'man...I am really here...' moment. Once you experience even this...it is so hard to go back to baked in light and shadows, in which your plane is sort of a not-there 'phantom' moving about the airport.  In XPlane 11, your plane IS part of that airport traffic :)!

Well.....I bought the sim knowing it was beta and found especially the cockpits to be well modeled.  I enjoyed the sim at first with the haze and iffy clouds, but on my i7 machine, each new beta release makes the sim run just a little slower.  And I don't understand why the takeoff acceleration in the jets is so slow.  And is it just me, or is everyone limited to just one map area in the vicinity of the aircraft?  Ok...I'm though whining until the next beta !:gaul:

29 minutes ago, anitelite said:

And is it just me, or is everyone limited to just one map area in the vicinity of the aircraft?

There are improvements in the new XP11 map, but it has always only showed the currently loaded scenery tile, and you can't scroll past that. I don't expect that to change.

Those of us who want wider coverage use an external program for moving map and/or flight planner. I use the very good donationware Plan-G flight planner. In addition to the usual functions, it can hook up to X-Plane with the free XPUIPC interface and work as a moving map that can also scroll anywhere in the world and not just on the current scenery tile. There are other programs that do this, Plan-G is just my personal favorite. 

If you want it to work inside the sim without using an external program, I've heard there is a new version of the payware Goodway flight planner that works as a plugin for X-Plane 11. Based on past history of shaky support with previous versions of Goodway for X-Plane, I'd recommend checking on user reports for how well the current version is being supported before buying it.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

On 3/17/2017 at 3:49 PM, uwespeed said:

Well I'm not the user, but my guess is you are the expert :laugh:

André