Sign in to follow this  
GoneMissed

AA help

G'day all,

A few days ago I tried tweaking some AA settings which didn't improve anything. I had screenshots of my old settings so reverted back, however my AA is still pretty ordinary. Turning FXAA on in P3D (I never had it on previously) helped, but it still isn't as good as what I had. I wasn't using Nvidia Inspector so didn't have SGSS on. As far as I know, my only settings were done through Nvidia Control Panel and P3D itself. Here are my settings. I would be very grateful if anyone has any ideas on how to restore a good level of AA, that'd be brilliant.

Cheers.

Screenshot_299.png

aa1.png

aa2.png

aa3.png

AA in P3d is not good, DX11.

Turn off FXAA that really makes things burry, a very bad option for AA.

You could try and what is known to be about the best is 4x MSAA and inspector 4x SGSS, but its FPS hit even more so in clouds.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

As Nyxx said, you can try SGSS combo, or if you mainly have problems with external model, you can add mipmaps to external textures. I run only 8xMSAA + mipmapped external textures, that works OK for me.

Thanks gents. I guess I'm frustrated because before (a few days ago) I didn't even need SGSS, so somewhere lies a solution without needing it and the unfortunate FPS hit it comes with. 

Since P3D is DX11, I know of no way to improve AA externally, except running SGSS, as this is basically  the same as DSR. Render at higher resolution, scale down. And the base of the whole SGSS is the ability of your GPU to render at very high resolutions. And is also the reason why it's so GPU heavy, is because it just needs to render that many more pixels.

Reading about DX11 and AA, you will see that the only way to have better AA in DX11 is through the dev - only they can implement various AA settings. An example would be Elite Dangerous, which offers some AA modes internally, also Supersampling if you have GPU power to spare.

Easiest way to reduce shimmering is to switch off HDR in P3D. Then you only need 8 x MSAA without any framerate hit in clouds, provided you have a new graphics card (1070 and above).

Thomas

Thanks Simon. I've gone in and set 4x SGSS - will wait to see performance hit in the clouds but at least it looks a lot better. I'm still puzzled I suppose. Such is life!

Thomas, sounds great but unfortunately for me I'm a sucker for HDR in P3D!

Appreciate the input fellas.

On 19.3.2017 at 7:53 AM, GoneMissed said:

Thomas, sounds great but unfortunately for me I'm a sucker for HDR in P3D!

Yeah...know what you mean :ha:

But after a while without it you can not tell the difference...as usual always a matter of habits