Sign in to follow this  
Dick Boley

AVSIM Certificate Invalid?

I don't see this and I'm using Chrome.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

We are attempting to install the "green lock" in the address bar which signifies the site is secure if you are signed in.  Google is going to tell all of their Chrome users sometime in the future if a site does not have the green lock that the site is not secure so we decided to get one.  It costs money to get one and we have a couple of domains so it was not cheap for us.  If you are a firefox user or edge user, you won't get this warning.  Just Google Chrome users (this is how Google gets people who own websites to change their ways or else).  We didn't want our users to get scared like the OP so this is why we bought it and are now in the process of installing it (which was started several weeks ago before the upgrade).  So now you know the rest of the story.

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

19 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

If you are a firefox user or edge user, you won't get this warning.

I have been getting it on Firefox actually Jim. Not with Edge though.

I also got the warning on Firefox.  I don't use Chrome.

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

I have the green lock and I use Chrome.  No messages here.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

If you click on the 'i' before the green lock it will tell you whether or not your connection is secure.  If the green lock has a line through it, it means it is not secure.  BTW, if you clicked on this area and the 'i' before we installed the green lock, you would have seen our site was insecure (for years).  I think your notifications the site is unsecure will eventually go away.  It is caused only by Chrome users.  Do not know how Firefox users get the warning as I do not and I have been using Firefox forever.  Chrome hasn't instituted their warning system yet but they plan on doing it someday soon.  The green lock has always been mandatory for Internet Stores, PayPal, Banks, etc.  Google is not making it mandatory for sites like ours but, if we do not get the green lock and pay money for it, then Chrome users and maybe others will get a warning the site is not secure whenever they visit it and we do not want them to be needlessly worried our site is not secure.

Again, the green lock is being installed and tested and why some may see a warning even if the green lock is showing.  But, not to worry as we are not a store or one of those places where it is mandatory to have a green lock like your bank account.  If you want more information about the green lock, suggest you use Google and search for green lock.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

FYI still warning on Firefox here.

Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

I was getting the warning in Firefox when I tried to access a forum via a bookmark.  I just remade the bookmark and no more warnings.  Accessing the forums from the tab on the AVSIM front page works fine, that didn't seem to be affected.

• Upvote 2

Hi Nick,

Thanks for that information.  Thought a member's cookies might cause a problem initially too.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

51 minutes ago, CavalierDuck said:

I was getting the warning in Firefox when I tried to access a forum via a bookmark.  I just remade the bookmark and no more warnings.  Accessing the forums from the tab on the AVSIM front page works fine, that didn't seem to be affected.

This fixed it for me, also!  Thanks for the tip, CD

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

3 hours ago, Novation said:

I have been getting it on Firefox actually Jim. Not with Edge though.

I don't get it on edge, but then again on Edge I miss a lot of items, like polls, imagers etc.  Site definitely has not been tested on all major browsers.

Should be working with Edge too.  The green lock is not our software but software from a third party so, if it does not work with Edge, they have a lot of problems they will need to sort. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

2 hours ago, Raven9000 said:

I don't get it on edge, but then again on Edge I miss a lot of items, like polls, imagers etc.  Site definitely has not been tested on all major browsers.

Yeah. AVSIM looked a mess on Edge, but no warnings and block.

I've just made an exception in Firefox now and carry on as normal. I did this before seeing the tip about making a new bookmark, but as there seems to be no real risk I'm not worried.

9 hours ago, Dick Boley said:

Chrome says Avsim's certificate is not properly signed and thus invalid. The site is therefore blocked by Chrome but allowing an override.

I use  https://www.avsim.com/index.php?app=ccs&module=pages&section=pages&id=2 to access Avsim.

That link is not valid.  Please rebookmark us as https://www.avsim.com or our direct link is https://www.avsim.com/forums/ to the forums.

• Upvote 1